Can't install Wacom tablet pc drivers >:[

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DoctorBunsenHoneydew, Feb 9, 2013.

1. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

Except on MacOS and Unix/Linux, where a very large chunk of the creative professionals work. That's kind of the rub. It's just asking for fragmentation worse than it's is already.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's not like WinTab is cross platform either though.

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member

Hehe, at the risk of this developing into yet war of APIs thread, I would to point out that my main point was not to enforce InkAPI as the new standard, but to say:

1) Microsoft deserves some credit for reacting so quickly to resolve this 'Achilles heel' of new tablet PCs.
    2) Adobe should show some commitment to the community by expanding its hardware support for Photoshop.
    3) Overall this forum is better off giving positive constructive feedback to move towards long term improvement.

My hope is that this situation will result in more than just a quick patch by Wacom, but a much more serious reflection/discussion on the state of pen input on tablet PCs. As this market is becoming less niche, it will be in both Adobe and Microsofts interests to build a long term solution that enables all OEMs to build great (and fully functional) devices.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  4. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

Yeah you're right, good point.

Ugh. I suppose the real problem is that the only decent pen tablet tech is locked behind wacom's patents, and by extension wacom's drivers.

Maybe it's time for an open, cross platform api, similar to USB standards. But both wintab and Ink API are proprietary, and neither ms nor Wacom has any incentive to adopt a truly open standard. :(

Honestly, I just want my programs to work already, and by far the shortest path is for Microsoft to support wintab in this case.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As tiring as the blame game is getting....

Make no mistake....with the Surface Pro....this is Microsofts fault

While there have always been Driver issues (more so with Windows 8)....Tablet PCs with Wacoms Digitizers have always been able to download and install Wacoms Tablet PC/Wintab Driver. Maybe not on the first try....but it was always at least possiable.

Now be it renaming/hiding the Digitizer Device ID...or what ever behind the scenes modifications they did....Microsoft Deliberately ensured the Surface Pro wouldn't accept Wacoms Driver.

This is all on them.

6. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Pen Pal - Newbie

Among recent tablets, the Surface Pro isn't the only one that gives a "not recognized" error when trying to install the drivers from Wacom's website. Had the same thing happen with the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2, for example. I think it's a latest gen Wacom hardware issue.

7. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh Pen Pal - Newbie

You can also remove InstallPenCheck; and InstallTouchCheck; from Installer.dat and the Wacom installer will install the ISD control panels, but the driver still doesn't recognize the hardware.

I didn't have any luck trying to add the Hardware IDs to the driver, either. I don't know very much about how Windows drivers work, though.

Based on trial-and-error disabling devices in Device Manager, I found the following Hardware IDs:

Pen Tablet: (Vendor ID = Microsoft)
    HID\VID_045E&PID_079A&MI_01&Col01
    USB\VID_045E&PID_079A&MI_01

Touch: (Vendor ID = Atmel Corp.)
    HID\VID_03EB&PID_8209&MI_00
    USB\VID_03EB&PID_8209&MI_00

I tried adding these into the following INF files that get installed on Win 8 x64, next to similar looking Hardware IDs in the files:
    System32\64\Drivers\WacomRouterFilter_win8.inf
    System32\64\Drivers\wachidrouter_isd_win8.inf

Re-building the CAT files for these INFs and installing the un-signed driver still didn't have any effect. So maybe it's new hardware and/or something deeper in the driver. I couldn't find any information on the web about the Wacom W9002 chip and SU7E sensor assembly uncovered in the iFixIt teardown, but Wacom's FeelIt literature talks about W8000 series chips and SU5E sensor boards.

Anyway, I'm really happy to hear that it sounds like Microsoft and Wacom are working on a solution.

8. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

Wow! You got a lot further than I did. :)

Sorry to hear it didn't work. I guess we're all stuck waiting.

9. BWhite

BWhite Scribbler - Standard Member

Sounds to me like you have found the issue, or you can give credit to iFixIt if you like. There is a Wacom W9002 chip in existence now and the folks who have purchased it so far (Microsoft and Lenovo?) probably told Wacom they did not want to pay for any driver other than an Ink API driver. So the Surface Pro OS (Windows 8) ships with a driver (probably coded by Wacom) for that new chip which feeds the info for what the stylus is doing through the Ink API.

That is a good enough explanation for me as to what is going on.

10. BWhite

11. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

12. Dynamite

Dynamite Pen Pal - Newbie

They finally have the 128 gig version in stock around the stores here in Vancouver but frankly I have zero interest in getting one until they resolve this pen pressure issue. It's going on 3 weeks now without an update or even when to expect a resolution. At this point I might as well just wait a few more months for the more powerful and more usable Helix.

13. Dynamite

Dynamite Pen Pal - Newbie

It's a hassle but I suggest you just return it and wait.

14. BWhite

I agree.

However,
    I need to be mentally prepared to do this "Wintab waiting game" with Lenovo.

So for now, waiting on the reviews to show up on YouTube for the Helix. Reviews that will probably tell me the Helix is shipping without a Wintab driver.

15. kraize

kraize Scribbler - Standard Member

I was waiting on the helix as well, but the surface pro does everything for me and the helix would be a lot bulkier. Also, the touch cover has grown on me and I don't really mind the angle either.

16. Nah

Nah Pen Pal - Newbie

I can confirm that even though it is a Wacom chip, it is Microsoft hardware. You can check the vendor ID in device manager for the its VEN_045E which is Microsoft.

I was also able to to install the x220 tablet Wacom drivers based on the W8000 series chip through some modifications of the driver but the stylus would not work at all even though the drivers installed successfully. The Wacom router drivers that communicates with Wintab does not work either because the chip is newer (W9002) or it's because the hardware belongs to Microsoft.

I've done programming with Windows tablet pc API as well as Wintab, there are really two possibilities to get pressure sensitivity working:
    1. Wacom releases a Wintab compatible driver, which I highly doubt as it's Microsoft vendor id
    2. Microsoft implments their own version of Wintab drivers, which is also unlikely because they could have just asked Wacom to supply the drivers but they didn't (probably due to some strange licensing deals)
    3. Ask Adobe to use Windows tablet PC API (which is a pain in the butt if your application is not written in C# or VB, which Photoshop is not)

Which do you think is the most likely? either case I don't expect any change from anyone anytime soon.

17. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

wow. this is brutal.
    Return your surface pro's, and hopefully Microsoft will get the message.

18. BWhite

Here is an interesting situation. Guy gets contacted by Microsoft, "and I was contacted by Microsoft and offered a machine to test out (I love my job).", he essentially decides to do a review of the Pro

Penny Arcade - The MS Surface Pro

Likes the Pro, but final recommendation is "As a mobile solution for a digital artist I’d say the Surface Pro is a winner. Now obviously if you need Photoshop you will probably want to wait until they get their driver issues worked out. If you’re a Sketchbook user (or you could be) then this thing is ready to go right now. "

Personally I think the message has already been delivered to Microsoft.

19. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

That guy has an enormous digital illustration and nerdy-computer-type audience. Certainly good news that he's promoting this as a pro artist's tool. The more high profile artists migrate to a tablet, the more support it will get.

20. BWhite

If you pass through his Review, all the way to showing his YouTube videos directly, you can see his view counts.
    Drawing test on Surface Pro - YouTube

So I guess Microsoft got the equivalent of an ad out in front of 39,000 'interested' eyeballs just by loaning him a PRO. Of course that does not count the super set of eyes that read the Review itself.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013