Can't install Wacom tablet pc drivers >:[

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DoctorBunsenHoneydew, Feb 9, 2013.

1. BWhite

BWhite Scribbler - Standard Member

What Tonitti said above; I just did.

I decided it did not really matter WHAT I think, what matters is whether Wacom is going to step up to the plate or not; so I put a question in to Wacom Tech Support two minutes ago asking about Wacom providing a driver for the Surface Pro.

Feel free to do the same if you want a Wintab driver for your new Surface Pro. The Wacom web site claims Tech Support will respond within two business days.

2. monter

monter Pen Pal - Newbie

could you try such a thing:
    install not the latest swacom driver, but this one http://cdn.wacom.com/U/drivers/TabletPC/ISD_DualTouch_709-5.zip
    i always had problems with wacom drivers on my hp tm2 with windows 8. the latest wacom driver is not working in photoshop, but the one i linked does.
    it has an issue: onscreen keyboard becomes too small, but it is fixed if you install the latest driver on top of this one (do not uninstall it before installing the new one)

3. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

I forgot to mention, here is a video I recorded using the Wacom Beta drivers. The Wacom TabletPC menu appears right at the beginning of the video. I have to say I never asked Wacom about drivers, only solutions, but my surprise was that they sent me these drivers anyhow, so with luck you all could receive ones too before final are ready, not sure though, maybe they sent them to me because I asked for a solution nicely :].

VIDEO: Asus Vivotab Tf810c Tablet - drawing & painting review & some gaming - YouTube

4. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I tested Sketchbook 6 and it has pressure sensitivity. If an app doesn't rely on WinTab, it's generally good to go for pressure. ArtRage has pressure sensitivity as well.

5. Jcase

Jcase Pen Pal - Newbie

I asked Microsoft about this on the @Surface Twitter. Here's their less-than-hopeful reply:

"@Jonathan_Case Pressure support may not be available until Adobe updates their apps to take advantage of the new Windows APIs"

I replied back that it's not just Adobe, and that in the meantime, creative professionals cannot use their product for the same purposes that every other penabled tabletPC can serve.

Hopefully they'll wake up and partner with Wacom to create a driver, post-haste.

6. cartoonmonkeystudio

cartoonmonkeystudio Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought this tablet thinking that Microsoft itself was finally going to show the world how a Tablet PC is done. That all the problems would be solved. But to just release the thing
    without being ready to go shows the same lack of caring about the designer / artist community that every other Tablet PC hardware manufacturer has shown from the beginning.
    That is, include a licenced Wacom digitizer, provide nearly zero information about it, and close to zero support for it. Crazy.

The fact is, that Microsoft shipped a device without proper driver support for the pen itself on it's "PRO" tablet. A machine advertised as ready to run Photoshop! ( It is, but will not work with pressure sensitivity. Uh, hello.. that's key to many people buying the thing in the first place..) Why does there always have to be a major gotcha with this stuff? There's no excuse for it other than just plain lack of caring, or laziness. No one from Wacom or MS has ever stepped forward to address this issue, and I doubt they will.

I have already returned this tablet, and I will NEVER purchase another piece of Microsoft hardware unless they:

1) Heavily advertise up FRONT what specific digitizer the device ships with. WACOM? NTrig?
    2) Provide information on the pressure sensitivity as it applies to ALL applications, not just SOME. Why must we always dig around for our own solutions when setting these things up?
    I have been using Tablet PC's since their invention, and I have never see any coordinated effort to lock these very basic details down, or even an attempt to explain them to the end user.

As an artist, the Surface Pro has been an incredibly frustrating wait, gamble, and complete waste of my time. I guess that's what I get for being an early adopter, especially where the standard practice in the tablet world is to keep the customer in the dark about specific details.

You'll find me in the Samsung forums. (Who seems to get how important the pen is -and has purchased stake in Wacom recently.)

Maybe I'll be interested in Surface 2, but I sure as **** won't buy one until your Wacom pressure / driver madness is totally sorted out from day 1.
    Good luck Microsoft..

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ha. New APIs? That's being extremely generous to Adobe. The Microsoft pen APIs have been around for at least 4 years now.

8. cartoonmonkeystudio

cartoonmonkeystudio Pen Pal - Newbie

Also: "until Adobe updates their apps to take advantage of the new Windows APIs.." Is total B.S.

I understand this is Microsoft throwing down some sort of gauntlet..but hasn't their motto been "Total backward compatibility with ALL your old apps?" -Not just "buy new apps, because we say so?"
    If anything is throwing me more and more toward open source free software and running Linux, it's tactics like these. How astoundingly idiotic.

9. thegiffman

thegiffman Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's a chat with Surface Support. Basically the same thing. I'm getting a nasty feeling that the art community is going to be stuck in the middle of a giant game of chicken between Adobe, Wacom, and Microsoft. Maybe someone will hack together some makeshift drivers in the meantime?

10. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep, same story as always. Manufacturer blames adobe for not supporting their custom pen interface, and adobe blames the manufacturer for not supporting wintab.

On any other tablet pc, the workaround is to install wacom's tablet pc driver. Maybe the path of least resistance is to request an unlocked tablet pc driver from Wacom?