Can't install Wacom tablet pc drivers >:[

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DoctorBunsenHoneydew, Feb 9, 2013.

1. rpo

rpo Scribbler - Standard Member

Good luck with the 700T. I went through three and all had completely useless keyboard docks and Samsung support does not exist.

2. BWhite

BWhite Scribbler - Standard Member

It is not the article you reference that is precious to me (though the article is a good thing, of course); it is the comments showing up under article! Some of those are GOLDEN!

Thank-you for making my evening. Man, some of those are great comments that folks are writing. Folks referencing the ancient history, folks referencing the fact the previous purchasers of ntrig were hung out to slowly twist in the wind, stuff like that.

Ironic too since Adobe, Microsoft and Wacom all have major offices in Washington State - you would think over the past year they could have seen that Engadget article coming right at them and mentioned it to one another. Yes, folks in the past were paying $1,000+ for tablets and Adobe did not care about them (going on right now with the Sony Duo 11, I believe).

My suspicion is Wacom is the company which DID see this coming, and decided to forgo having their name mentioned in Surface Pro advertisements - which makes for some pretty funny imagined scenarios. Scenes taking place like in the start of the Matrix movie, "You get caught using that..."

3. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

I have same problem with my ThinkPad Tablet 2, I get that ''no tablet found'' error. I tried your method, It didn't do anything. It installs the driver (though I think it does not do that completely, the installation bar was kinda fishy) but nothing happens, no new option, no Wacom goodies.

4. Hasseno

Hasseno Pen Pal - Newbie

5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member

Haha! Hey man, I'm glad we can both all look back at those times and shake our heads :) It's a good laugh (about bad times lol), but it does put things into perspective...

You make a good point BWhite, somehow this issue always gets lost in translation when it hits upper management (because I'm sure the software/hardware engineers are aware of it).

That's why I say all this publicity and the fact that Microsoft itself is backing the tablet is best shot we have for finally crushing this problem. I believe me it's a bug I've longed to squash... (fist) ;)

6. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

7. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

8. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Pen Pal - Newbie

That really isn't new news from Electronista. No kidding Adobe and Wacom would have to develop the WinTab driver (those two are the companies that develop WinTab, with most of the required work being on Adobe's end). Microsoft does not develop or update WinTab drivers for any tablet on the market, it's Adobe and the digitizer company that handles this.

9. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

Read it again. To me, it's obvious that they are saying "it will work great as soon as they adopt our API".

I hope you're right, but I'd rather get my money back and pick up something useful than wait for basic drawing functionality on this thing.

10. thegiffman

thegiffman Pen Pal - Newbie

11. thegiffman

In fact, this doesn't seem such bad news either:

12. BWhite

BWhite Scribbler - Standard Member

Naw. That is not 'good' news - that is actually 'excellent' news!

Here is why:
    1) I think that is the product manager responsible for Surface Pro, yes?
    2) he is pretty high up in Microsoft (one of the key parties involved) and he uses the word 'actively'
    3) he named the key 'outside' partner - WinTab is a Wacom/Adobe/Corel thing
    4) Wacom is the 'key' partner here because only they can make something happen short-term across a wide swath of applications (I don't see how Microsoft can have the expertise in-house because Wintab is not theirs)

13. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Panos Panay is the manager of the Surface products, but Steven Bathiche is pretty high up on the chain too (I believe his role is more research oriented). So the fact that both of them are saying that is definitely a good sign.

14. thegiffman

Well, now that we've had the good news that they are working on things, any educated guesses on when we'll have it?

15. Jcase

Jcase Pen Pal - Newbie

A Wacom employee stopped by my studio today, and knew about the Surface woes. She just emailed me to say the same thing: Wacom's actively working on a driver update, it's high priority, and will be available 'soon'. She ended with 'hang in there'.

16. cartoonmonkeystudio

cartoonmonkeystudio Pen Pal - Newbie

17. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

If using Microsoft's own driver can get pressure sensitivity on the windows 8 reader app when annotating PDF, I'll buy surface pro.

18. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member

As much as this captures the essence of the situation, I feel that placing the blame squarely on Microsoft, while not even mentioning Adobe's commitment to the art/design community is not entirely fair.

Consider the vast resources that Adobe has in developing Photoshop, the industry standard raster graphics tool. If much smaller programs like ArtRage and IllustStudio can support both InkAPI and WinTab, I don't believe that Adobe has any excuse in not doing the same. Indeed, because Photoshop is so crucial, I believe there is an onus on Adobe to widen the hardware support beyond Wacom.

Believe me, I want pressure support as much as anyone, and having Wacom write a custom driver for the Surface is most expedient solution. However what does this net the community in the long term?

The same situation will repeat again with next tablet that's released. If the next OEM has made custom tweaks to the Wacom digitizer (like the Surface) or uses another brand of digitizer (which is highly likely) we're back to square one— EXCEPT this time the manufacturer may not have Microsoft's clout/commitment to get the attention of the major players, and we'll have another round of even more frustrated users.

I have no love for N-Trig (LatitudeXT users will know what I'm talking about), but the reality is, in the long term, digitizer manufacturers will develop to Windows standards first and then maybe to WinTab if there is enough outcry. Opening up the market to more manufacturers than Wacom should be the long term goal, in my opinion.

I think the community should be placing pressure on Adobe to support both APIs, so the artists and designers have more options when choosing hardware. And Microsoft's opportunity here is our best shot at making that a reality.

So again, I urge people to give positive constructive feedback to Microsoft, and hopefully we can iron out this problem for current and future tablet users.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  19. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

I see where you're coming from, but remember that wintab is the standard over nearly all professional apps, and also over all versions of windows, Mac OS and unix. It's way bigger than just photoshop on windows 8.

There's no way the whole industry is going to bother supporting some api that only 1% of its users need, when everyone else is on cintiqs and proper Wacom tablets. Say photoshop gets ink API support. that still leaves zbrush, sai, maya, 3d coat, tv paint, and dozens of other pro apps out in the cold.

Alternately, Microsoft could just cave in and add wintab support, and then every program will just work with no drama. I pick this option.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  20. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This argument could easily work the opposite way. Say Microsoft and Wacom add Wintab support. That still leaves N-trig, Atmel, Finepoint (are they still even around?), and presumably Perceptive Pixel in the cold.

More importantly though, the Microsoft API is going to be the standard from here on out. I mean, yes... there's a lot of desktop applications that will still use WinTab, but for anything getting newly developed or ported to the WinRT framework for inclusion in the Windows Store, they're going to have to work with the Microsoft API anyway. For example, if Adobe wants to put out a version of Photoshop Touch for Windows... they're going to have to use Ink anyway.

Besides, it's not like anyone still writes 16-bit Windows programs, right? So why is it so easy for them to keep up to date with modern OS development, but so difficult to add in a more modern API?

Really, I do want to see Microsoft come out with a WinTab driver in the short term... but I also want to see companies moving forward with Microsoft Ink support in the long term too.