Can't install Wacom tablet pc drivers >:[

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DoctorBunsenHoneydew, Feb 9, 2013.

1. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

Well crap. Looks like wacom's tablet pc drivers won't install on the surface pro. That means no pressure sensitivity in photoshop and sai, and no support for middle click.

Anyone have any luck with this?

2. cartoonmonkeystudio

cartoonmonkeystudio Pen Pal - Newbie

3. zbrush

zbrush Pen Pal - Newbie

what drivers did you installed ? on ativ pro these drivers worked fine :
    Tablet PC - Enhanced Graphics Driver 7.1.0-8 30 Oct 2012

4. cartoonmonkeystudio

That is a different machine, of course. That driver fails to install on the Surface Pro.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

looks like holidng off on getting the Surface Pro was a smart move for me. I would use Photoshop CS5 and Sai almost exclusivly on the Pro. This kills the purchase for me.

When the driver fails to install....What error message does it give you? "Tablet Not found"?

If thats the case......here's something to try....If you can.....Parition the SSD and try and install Windows 7 on the Surface Pro.

Windows 8 in general has just been a giant driver mess with Wacom. Alot of the drivers I used on Previous Tablet PCs running XP, Vista, & 7 just wouldn't run on Windows 8.

If you can install Windows 7 on the Pro...and get the Wacom Driver to work.....then clearly the Problem is with Windows 8 and not the Pro's digitizer.

6. venain

venain Pen Pal - Newbie

This is such a huge mistake by microsoft. It actually doesn't surprise me now that I think about it, and is probably most of the reason they didn't advertise the wacom tech at all. I hope its a simple driver issue and not something more complicated like MS using some weird hacky wacom tech that they never end up fixing. I just can't believe they wouldnt have stylus support ready at launch for anything other than the 3-4 winstore apps that are a complete joke compared to their desktop counterparts. Complete dealbreaker for me, will be canceling my preorder if I don't see some sort of fix before the weekends over:\

7. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

I had this exact same issue with the series 7 slate in windows 8. Difference was I could install wacom's table pc driver. On this device, you can't install that driver, as it gives a "tablet not found" error.

Thanks for the suggestion about windows 7, but honestly screw that. I'm not wasting a day with all that just because MS and Wacom can't get their stuff together.

8. cartoonmonkeystudio

Yes..screw that indeed.

I think I have 15 days to return this thing. Maybe the Lenovo will have better Wacom Support. Helix anyone? If anyone from Wacom or MS could step in and address this monumental screwup..

I'm not holding my breath on that one..
    :mad:

9. cartoonmonkeystudio

I would also urge everyone to take to twitter, google plus, etc.. and tweet the fact that a working wintab Wacom driver isn't available for Surface Pro.
    Lack of pressure in Sai, Photoshop, Painter, and Flash... among others!

Take them to task over this. It has been over ten years, and MS / Wacom have never figured out how to coordinate on this driver issue! Mind bogglingly insane. They will hemorrhage customers if they don't fix it. Perhaps they just don't care about the artist / designer crowd. Grr..

10. Neve

Neve Pen Pal - Newbie

When you guys say the drivers aren't installing, do you mean that the application refuses to open or that every time you load the drivers, they just don't respond? Just curious!

Anyway, sometimes having the specific drivers for your tablet pc may not always be the best option, which is an oxymoron in itself, if you think about it. For example, I have a Fujitsu Stylistic that has its own pen driver, but that doesn't recognize sensitivity. Why Wacom hasn't released an updated compatible version for Windows Surface is odd, if it works on other PCs. I would try to contact Wacom and Microsoft to see what's up. Not much help, but those are the best options.

A rogue bit of advice that has helped a lot of older users is to try Wacom tablet driver 5.05-7. When replacing my Fujitsu pen driver, I tried a the latest Wacom ones at the time and it wouldn't install. But this particular driver just seemed to click and I've had no problems with it. You can find it on Wacom's website. It's worth giving a shot. Sorry I can't provide a better solution. Now that these reports are coming up, I'm getting a touch nervous myself. :(

11. cartoonmonkeystudio

No dice on that old driver. They are using a modified version of the wacom hardware / software. Ten point multitouch from what I've read. So these older drivers wouldn't help there anyway, even if they did install.

Returning this thing and maybe getting the Helix when it's released - unless a magical MS spokesperson or someone from Wacom can provide us with a working driver..

12. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Pardon me, but anyone with any experience with Wacom and tablet pcs knows this stuff is normal. It's day 1 for the SP, of course there are problems. What were you guys anticipating, perfection obo on day 1?. You're early adopters. It's the same for new Mac platforms too. Every ios update too.

Of course they'll fix it eventually. Practically every/ every single tablet pc ever made has eventually gotten pressure sensitivity to work, even if it didn't work out at first.

These complaints, while legit, seem overblown to me. Wait and buy it after a few months if you want a smooth ride. Buy it now and have a fun but bumpy adventure, and get the thrill of buying the first iteration of a brand new product.

13. zbrush

zbrush Pen Pal - Newbie

i think that launching an product without proper drivers is a stupid move on MS side. And not to mention that they advertise the surface working with photoshop ... why did they did it ?

14. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I don't disagree that it's stupid, but its also very normal. People seem surprised. ??? It's the first day of the first model of the Pro. What did you expect? Expecting perfection doesn't make sense. Expecting a Wacom driver to work on day 1 is a dream any tablet of user would live to experience, but is almost never ever ever the case. T902, 700t, 500t, Asus Vivo tab, etc etc. this is an ongoing problem with all the OEMs, and is not particular to the Pro.

I wonder how much this has to do with Wacom. ???

15. FenderP

FenderP Pen Pal - Newbie

Just pop over to the Duo forum. Yes, it is N-Trig but a lot of the same complaints such as not working properly with Photoshop, etc. And I would assume the Helix may suffer from the same issues, too. It is what it is.

16. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Devices shipping with bugs is an unwritten rule in the industry. The early adopter always complain, but they'll be the first ones on the line again when a new product XYZ hits the shelves. :D Regarding Wacom, since they haven't officially associated their name with the Surface Pro, I doubt they will officially get involved with driver releases. I think drivers will come from Microsoft.

17. venain

venain Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried the latest sketchbook pro on the surface pro yet (version 6 I think?)? I've heard pressure works, and if thats true, I won't be canceling my preorder after all, sketchbook pro is by far my favorite digital sketching program and access to pen pressure in that program alone will be enough of a distraction until a driver is released that adds photoshop support (hopefully one does get released!)

18. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

This isn't about perfection, its about getting basic functionality that was advertised. As in they literally advertised people drawing with the stylus in photoshop cs6.

In practice, you absolutely cannot work in cs6 with the stylus right now because lack of functionality, and severe UI freezes.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  19. BWhite

BWhite Scribbler - Standard Member

Personally I am coming around to the view it is not a Wacom Digitizer in the Microsoft Surface Pro. I think it is a Microsoft Digitizer and Microsoft Pen using licensed Wacom technology.

20. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello, I think I have an answer. I am an Asus Vivotab tf810c user that bought the tablet exclusively to use the pressure sensitive Wacom pen in Sai and Photoshop; so far Asus hasn't included any driver since day one, three months ago. I have tried all TabletPC drivers in existence, none worked. I emailed Wacom about this, and some Weeks ago a very kind woman sent me beta drivers on condition that only I cult test them. And finally I could install drivers and they work pretty well so far, just some bugs that need to be polished in palm rejection. Before this, I, as all of you I got the same "Tablet Pc not found on this system" message I tried to install Wacom drivers. That makes me believe that what is necessary is as simple as Updated drivers that recognizes the new tablets. This might be either Wacom, Asus, Microsoft...'s fault, for rushing out devices before havin proper working drivers, thinking that the tablet works "for the most part" and that some aspects like the pen are secondary. Big mistake of course.

I can only recommend: email them and ask them to release drivers as soon as possible, because you purchased a premium device and you expect to work it as stated. That or return the device, but I opted for the first...