Can't get rid of smartphones. Is that an addiction

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by pigeontongue, Jul 4, 2018.

1. pigeontongue

pigeontongue Pen Pal - Newbie

One reason why the kids of today have really poor social skills and lack manners.

2. KlickSter123

KlickSter123 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think it can really lead to that. Same as in the concept of nicotine or any other chemical addiction, there can be addiction to mobile phones that can have psychological effects.

3. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting that you all are discussing this. I've definitely been negatively impacted by smart phone addiction. Came across this interesting page the other day.

http://humanetech.com/take-control/

This page mentioned the Android launcher Siempo. I installed it the other day and it immediately changed the way I interact with my phone for the better. If you're on Android, I would highly recommend checking it out.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  4. KlickSter123

Hey, thanks for this suggestion. I've been having a hard time taming my vaping habits. I tried not going to my local vape shop but then google suggests articles to "get cheap vape gears" and then I'm sucked into that black hole again. I mean I've gotten better transitioning to vaping from smoking, but I still have a long way to go when it comes to taming the addiction.

5. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

No problem. And while Siempo helped me for a bit, it wasn't enough. It was still way to easy to get to the browser on my phone and get sucked into the black hole of the Internet.

I decided recently to switch to a flip phone. I ordered an Alcatel Go Flip on ebay a week ago. It came this Monday and I've been on it for a couple of days now.

I still have my smartphone around as a glorified PDA. But WOW I can't believe how much it has helped removing primary communication capabilities from my smartphone. Now I just keep my flip phone in my pocket. I can grab the smartphone when I need to use it as a tool (camera, GPS, flashlight). So far this experiment is working.

6. indoroids

indoroids Pen Pal - Newbie

yes, it is addiction

7. KlickSter123

Yeah, it's still a daily battle, to be honest. But at least we're doing something about it, huh?

I actually stumbled upon this article that talks about "Kaizen", which means "on-going or continuous improvement". It's more applied for business but I've been inspired to somehow apply it to my personal life, especially with this particular struggle. It's about facing the problem head on and never allowing your progress to reach the point of stagnation.

Let's continue doing our best no matter how hard it is. Kudos to you for facing your challenges head on!

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

改善 actually only mean improvement, but in the Japanese context it refers to "small step improvement". They are a conservative people and don't particularly like radical change since it has traditionally been the result of major pressure from the outside. So kaizen are the small steps you can take to improve in order to avoid the revolutionary steps necessary when you haven\t improved for a long time.

ORTOX likes this.
  9. djas

djas Graffiti User

Unfortunately, yeah, can't get away from smartphones. Those things are too smart for their own good.... :)

I try to seregrate my work and personal life. At work is all system go. Use all the tech on hands for maximum productivy.

When I'm not working, all my work techs are powered off. Im left with a watchphone & my Kindle for company.

On family outings, everything stay at home.

JoeS likes this.
  10. KlickSter123

Oh, that's very informative. So, it is just SMALL STEPS.

Thanks for this. I remembered from another thread that you are really interested in Japanese culture. Very cool.