Can't get rid of smartphones. Is that an addiction

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by pigeontongue, Jul 4, 2018.

1. pigeontongue

pigeontongue Pen Pal - Newbie

Using smartphones has been a worldwide problem already especially for students because most of them are affected. It becomes habitual to them and has a negative impact on their mindset. I heard that it becomes a disorder called "nomophobia". A fear of no smartphone or rather mobile phone. But, do you have any idea of how to control the habitual use? Is that considered an addiction?

2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. pigeontongue

Well, do you think destroying the phone will be the best way?:confused: It seems not.

4. pepperminty

pepperminty Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, it is considered an addiction. It's similar to gambling and shopping addiction. Self-therapy can help address this like by using an app to put a limit on the usage. Consider also some relaxation activities. There are available therapies both online and offline.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2018
  5. pigeontongue

Agreed with it because I've read an article about that type of addiction. I guess, a person affected by such type of behavioral issues must be engaged in some other relaxing activities.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Here in Japan I've seen theories proposed that mobile phone addiction might be a major cause behind declining nativity rates.

7. Mark Gonzales

Mark Gonzales Pen Pal - Newbie

I am getting frustrated by mobile phones as well to be honest, people have become more of zombies nowadays, especially while travelling.

8. Kumabjorn

More and more I see a traditional family, mom, dad and two kids, in a restaurant with all four staring down at their screens. No one talking to anyone else. No wonder family structure is going through social change.

Since a year ago I implemented a new rule. On a date if the guy, just once, picks up his phone and looks at the screen I issue a warning. Do that again and I walk away immediately. If he begins to tap on it, no warning.

Have yet to complete a full date. No good night kisses the last twelve months.

Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

"If you're tapping that, you ain't tapping this!" :D

But yeah, it's getting completely out of hand. Waiting for the train has never been a less social experience, everybody is just staring into the rectangle.

Bronsky likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Wish it could be expressed as snappy as that in Japanese.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk