Can't find QuickPlay 3.7 anywhere...

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Cat Megex, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Cat Megex

Cat Megex Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a tx2500z that I ordered on the 11th and received on the 27th; as per the "Clean Vista Rebuild How-to Sticky" thread, I copied the swsetup folder to a flash drive, and went through the process of repartitioning, reformatting, and reinstalling Vista. However, when I tried to (re)install QuickPlay, the installation got to a point where it asked for another disc containing the "data3.cab" file. Because I could not find said file, I deleted the QuickPlay folder (though, before I deleted it, I found out that it was QuickPlay version 3.7), figuring that I wouldn't have much trouble finding it.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find it. I was able to find what I thought was the 3.6 installer, but turned out to be the upgrade file for the previous 3.x versions; then, when I found an installer for QuickPlay 3.0 and tried to install it, it said that my computer was not authorized for the installation.

In conclusion: what should I do in this situation? Should I simply contact HP and try to get a recovery disc which contains QuickPlay, or is there another method available to obtain the software? (Note: I don't want to have to pay any more money for this, so if doing it through HP would require me to pay for the discs, then I will not be using that method.)

Also, a question: do the ATI Catalyst drivers come with a DVD codec, or is the codec included with QuickPlay? If it's the former, then my need for QuickPlay is lessened. (I am aware that ffdshow has a DVD codec, but it is solely software-accelerated as well as having a not-too-good deinterlacing filter; before I did the clean install, I tried watching a DVD with QuickPlay and found that the ATI hardware deinterlacing worked a lot better than ffdshow's software deinterlacing.) As well, do the Quick Launch buttons not associated with QuickPlay still require QuickPlay, and if not, would there be a way to set up the buttons so that those that originally required QuickPlay to work could be set up to work with a different DVD playing software? (For instance, having the "DVD" button launch Windows Media Player, if QuickPlay is not installed.)

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Installing & Updating Quickplay page from HP

The HP software update may be able to help.

And before you actually ask HP to send the restore media to you (didn't you burn disks prior to formatting etc), try talking to their online support maybe they know where to source the link on HP's servers.

Also found this Should be a link to the HP forums & link to Quickplay 3.8.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Cat Megex

I do appreciate your assistance; unfortunately, I had already found those links on my own and had no success with them. There is a portion of your information that may be useful to me, however; namely, what you mentioned in your third paragraph.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. DRTigerlilly

Cat Megex,

i also saw mentioned w/in the thread on HP's forums, that you might need to update the software from w/in the Quickplay software. Have you been able to get any version of Quickplay installed & have you tried that?

5. Cat Megex

I have not been able to get any version of Quickplay installed, unfortunately. As said in my original post, I was able to obtain a copy of QuickPlay 3.0 and attempted to install it but was given an error saying something along the lines of my computer not being authorized for the installation.

At the moment, the best thing for me to do is probably to go with what you said and see if I'm able to get a link to QuickPlay through HP's online support.

EDIT: Downloaded QPW 3.0 again and tried installing it again to find out the specific wording of the message: "This software can only be installed in authorized machine."

EDIT #2: Found a registry edit that allowed installation of QuickPlay 3.0! Now I'll be able to upgrade to 3.7 (whether through using the 3.6 upgrade I already have, then upgrading through HP Upgrade, or upgrading using HP Upgrade from the start).

6. DRTigerlilly

You should post the registry hack here, so other users who are having the same problem can find a quick remedy.

7. Cat Megex

Good idea.

(obtained from here)