Can't enable Wake Timers

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by CharlieW, Sep 28, 2015.

1. CharlieW

CharlieW Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a WINBOOK TW700 running Windows 8.1. It supports Connected Standby, but does not support Sleep modes S1 thru S3. It is not configured to hibernate. I have used Task Scheduler to create a task to run every night. The task is configured to "Wake the PC to run this task" but once the device has entered Connected Standby mode, it will not wake when the task is scheduled. If I wake the tablet after the time the scheduled task was scheduled to wake the device, the task runs immediately. But it will not wake the PC to run it. The Power Options dialog does not even include a "Sleep" line item (probably because Sleep is not supported by the hardware) and so there is no "Allow Wake Timers" option for me to enable. Even with the scheduled task enabled, the "POWERCFG -WAKETIMERS" command reports "There are no active wake timers in the system."

Does anyone know how I can enable Wake Timers?

2. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have had this issue as well, and just gave up. From what I had researched earlier, an app itself has to have this ability built in, taking advantage of and accommodating Connected Standby programming (but this was from a year or 2 ago, and may be incomplete).

3. CharlieW

Mikerman: Thanks for your reply, bleak as it was. I have posted this question to several different Microsoft tech forums and at least one other non-Microsoft forum. To date, I've had several hundred "looks" but yours is the ONLY reply! It's good to hear that I'm not alone - I was beginning to think I had somehow screwed up my device. Sad to hear that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of support. From what you say, it appears that even Microsoft overlooked this feature/issue.

That said, and if you are correct that app-specific for Connected Standby is required, are you aware of ANY app that can wake the device from CS mode so that I could co-opt it into running a script for me? Perhaps I need to read all the threads dealing with battery drain during CS. If batteries are being drained while in CS, then SOME apps must be running. Maybe I can kludge one of them into helping me out?

4. Mikerman

I first had looked into this issue a year+ ago and had read multiple Microsoft threads on the workings of CS and its "coming-of-age"--that's where I read what CS then was compatible with (some background Microsoft maintenance and Skype, if I recall correctly) and what could (and optimistically would) be coming in the future.

I believe that I read that the Microsoft Win8.1 built-in Alarm app was supposed to be compatible with CS (which, of course, makes sense and it should be), but it never was for me, unfortunately.

I've never understood this conundrum--it doesn't seem like brain science to me and would seem to be a no-brainer of an option that should work, especially with Microsoft's own software options and programs. Is CS a tech. that Microsoft started on but never returned to/finished?

5. CharlieW

Yep! It' a shame. Part of the "problem" is that tech support isn't sophisticated enough to distinguish sleep from connected standby, no matter what you tell them. And so they spend lots of time troubleshooting sleep, when they should be focused elsewhere.

For what it's worth, my tablet DOES appear to be awaking under some circumstances. But the task runs in the background, but the display never turns on. So it's hard to tell. And it doesn't awake every time. So I'm still working on this issue. If I ever get a solution, I'll be sure to post to this thread.

6. Mikerman

Thanks, and that's something Iike what I've been finding as well, with some items running in the background during CS. But it seems to be the more maintenance-like operations and not the "tasks" that a user might like--such as an alarm clock waking one up (although I thought I read some people saying that they were able to get this going with the MS app). I'd like to see it with a torrent or downloads, for those big files one might leave for overnight.

Thanks for the follow-up.

7. EHOTP

EHOTP Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the same problem. It worked from time to time. I have download new version and now everything works as well.