Can't decide, x61

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Tenement 9, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenement 9

Tenement 9 Pen Pal - Newbie

I purchased a new Lenovo x61 tablet PC off of the Lenovo outlet store a couple days ago for roughly $900. A payment verification problem (wrong zip code) has given me the opportunity to reconsider my purchase, and after spending a couple days going over the immense load of information just on this site alone, am beginning to wonder if I should keep the order.
    I was considering getting a TX2z from Best Buy, but snatched up the x61 when I found it. Was concerned about longevity issues on the TX2z, but it seems the X61 has a few of it's own.

I'd like a tablet that can handle my classwork and notes, but I'd also like to dabble in digital drawing/painting. Is the X61 going to be an effective use of that $900, for what I want to do, or should I settle for less? $1000 is pretty much my 'ceiling' in this.

Thanks.

2. freedomeagle

freedomeagle Pen Pal - Newbie

TX2z won't give you pressure sensitivity in Photoshop or the enhanced features of the Wacom digitizer as it uses N-Trig instead (and I think it is a passive rather than an active digitzer) - stick with the X61. Build quality is streets ahead of that HP.

3. tlewis

tlewis Scribbler - Standard Member

I second the Lenovo. Like all things digital - or just like all things, period - it has its pluses and minuses. But I've had mine since fall '07 (after having, since '03, two Toshiba tablets and a Motion) and have mostly been solidly impressed.

I'm a professional illustrator (the comic strip "Over the Hedge"), and have used it all over the USA and Canada....as well as at my studio, hooked to a Cintiq. It never quibbles. For your "dabbling" it will be very sufficient.
    t

4. KidDynamic

KidDynamic Sketch & Doodle

Oh tlewis, congrats on your success as an illustrator. It's always nice to hear a little bit of the inside story from comic artists. :)

I too was seriously considering the tx2z, but when I had a chance to mess around with one at Fry's, I changed my mind. It's definitely not up to "professional" build quality standards, and I have my doubts about durability.

However, if you're limited to $1000 or so, there aren't a lot of options other than that one, or a used version that would have better longevity.

I would normally recommend you stick with the t61, if not for the fact that a co-worker has really been struggling with hers lately. If you do get a Lenovo, I suggest choosing a good, on-site warranty for peace of mind.

The N-Trig digitizer is active, like Wacom's, but my understanding is that it uses Windows' standard touch interface to communicate with the software, and Photoshop just doesn't support that standard. So, if you're hoping to do some drawing, you'd need to use Sketchbook Pro or ArtRage. However, OneNote should work just fine with an N-Trig setup, and you get the added benefit of multitouch.

Speaking of which, have you considered a used Dell xt2? Dell's build quality and customer service is top-notch, in my opinion. It uses the N-Trig digitizer as well, but is aimed for the same market as Lenovo. You can get a used one for not much more than $1000.
    http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...line/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb

Good luck!

Seth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.