Canadian - Drawing tablet for 13 year old daughter

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Blackmanic, Oct 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackmanic

Blackmanic Pen Pal - Newbie

COPY HERE

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    Looking for something around $200-$250

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Definitely if I can find one in Canada - not interested in shipping from the U.S.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

If I could find a decent tablet PC that would be nice, but am considering a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 as an option I would prefer a detachable keyboard rather than a rotating/convertible type

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

Canada

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Not a fan of Apple products, Have had good experiences with Dell for other things, no specific loyalty

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

To be reasonable, I'd say 4-5 hours but of course more would be better

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

For my 13 year old to begin exploring digital art. Primarily sketching, some web browsing while on WiFi at home and youtube (I would expect)

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

I currently have both Android tablets/phones and Windows computers, no Apple products. I would prefer Windows (8 or 10) but would be OK with Android

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Basic sketching/drawing/painting software. I currently use a first gen Surface Pro myself and primarily use Sketchbook Pro, Paint tool Sai, Manga Studio will probably be exploring Krita as well, for my daughter it will all be open source or inexpensive drawing programs if I get a Windows system

oh yeah did I mention that I'm really cheap ? :)

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Not really, there are other devices available if she wants to play games

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No
    Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

1920x1080 or better would be nice

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Not a specific concern

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Definitely need a pen. I prefer Wacom, no battery in the pen if possible - have not heard good things about N-Trig but haven't really tried it myself

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

I'm OK with a small hard-drive and expandable memory

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

micro usb and microSD are fine, don't need hdmi

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    No
    2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    No

END COPY

2. Blackmanic

Actually kind of curious about this Nuvision Solo 10 Draw from Microsoft. I know it's pretty low on processing power and RAM (2 GB I think), but as an intro device for a kid who is just sketching it may be a good start. Anyone have any experience with this device? what programs can you run that don't lag excessively? (I'm pretty sure it's N-trig, but seems to work pretty well)

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Haven't looked at used prices recently, but how does your daughter feel about your first gen Surface Pro? I haven't really begun to kick the tires on the Nuvision, but it's so damn slow, I wouldn't recommend it as someone's first taste of Windows graphics creation.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. Blackmanic

I actually got that Surface Pro through ebay about a year and a half ago for $250 (Canadian). I think that would be fine for her, but I'm not really looking to upgrade myself and don't expect to find another deal like that. I was really lucky with that one.

There is a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 available right now that I was looking at, but that does mean no Windows drawing programs.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

6. Blackmanic

those Surface Pros look good, they're running Windows 10 (mine runs win 8.1). Anyone have experience with sketchbook pro, manga studio, clip studio etc. in win 10 on a first gen Surface? I never updated to win 10 because 8.1 works really well and I didn't want to mess up any drivers for the wacom digitizer.

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Blackmanic All that software runs fine on Windows 10. If you're comfortable with 8.1, I wouldn't advise upgrading your existing machine (mostly to avoid the time required to do the upgrade and small learning curve of the new OS), but there's no reason to worry about already upgraded devices.

8. Blackmanic

That's good to know, thanks surfaceproartist. I'm going to keep an eye on those first gen surface pros on ebay (the same guy has 10 of them apparently) and look around for one with a pen and keyboard if possible. I might just pick up a Galaxy Note 10.1 for myself just out of curiosity, some people swear by them.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@Blackmanic : Although you have said that you are not interested in shipments from the US, I'll sell you my i7 Surface Pro 3 (plus Type Cover) for $200 US. If you're going to get your daughter something to draw on, it should at least have decent performance. See this ad in the For Sale forum:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/i7-surface-pro-3-in-superb-condition.68478/

Note that the unit is still as advertised but with a few more hours on it. If you are interested, contact me.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. Blackmanic

That is an amazing offer Steve S, if I lived in the U.S. I would jump at that. Unfortunately Canadian Customs agents are really unpredictable and have a lot of authority to make decisions on the fly. If they don't like the look of something, they just charge taxes (15%) and duties which are also usually 12% to 15% on the full price of a new unit, or the highest price they see on a quick internet search (which would likely be about $1200.00 CAD) right now. That would potentially triple the price for me, which would still be a good price, but more than I'm looking to spend right now. I really appreciate the offer though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.