Can you use a tablet as a cintiq-like device?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Steve B, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adecoy95

adecoy95 Pen Pal - Newbie

is this even possible to do without reformatting? if so, i havent found any other solutions and would be willing to try this

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

depends on whether you have 2 partitions or not already on your hard drive... If not, you would need to reformat, yes.

3. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

You can create a new partition on unallocated space on a Win8 drive here is one option How to Add Unallocated Space into a Partition on Windows 8 without Data Loss?. There are other Partition managers out there both Free and Paid if you search. Don't make changes to your partition without taking an image of your drive first! There is a risk of an unrecoverable error whenever you mess with the partition tables! Cover your arse even if it seems like too much effort.

You could also try setting up a virtual machine check this out How to Install a Virtualized Copy of Ubuntu in Windows 8. Again there are lots of VM solutions out there if you search.

Another option would be to build a bootable linux USB key there are portableapps that can assist in that process here are two of them Rufus or Unetbootin there are other methods and tools if you search for them.

I haven't noticed gfxTablet mentioned on this forum so hopefully this isn't going to be old news. gfxTablet is an Android app which allows a Galaxy Note to be used as a Tablet (not Cintiqu) input device for a PC running Linux. Afaik no Windows driver is available at present.

[video=youtube;QgTm2TEt4Yc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgTm2TEt4Yc[/video]​

gfxTablet Droid app page

Github project page

Features
    Pressure sensitivity supported
    Size of canvas will be detected and sent to the client
    Option for ignoring events that are not triggered by a stylus pen: so you can lay your hand on the tablet and draw with the pen.​

Requirements
    App: Any device with Android 4.0+ and touch screen
    Driver: Linux with uinput kernel module (included in modern versions of Fedora, Ubuntu etc.)​

If you wanted to use this app with a Windows art package you might be able to run linux in a VM to gain access to the driver, and then run your application in your windows environment. That's a guess and would need further investigation by anyone interested in taking that approach. You could run a Linux VM or bootable USB and install Krita which is a rapidly developing art package on linux which is gaining a lot of fans.

EDIT: David Revoy's blog The Choice of open source, krita got a ppa krita lime and Quick-tip-1-krita-user-interface-working-with-values

David Revoy in action using Krita, GIMP and Mypaint (worth a watch imho)..."Owl Princess" timelapse - FLOSS digital painting.

If there is a more appropriate thread for this info let me know and I will paste this post in there. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Soooo.... You take a perfectly good IPS pen display on a $500 Android tablet with Wacom and YOU JUST USE IT AS A VERY EXPENIVE BAMBOO TABLET?!?

WHY? You can get a Bamboo tablet for $70 and you don't have to go through all this nonsense!

Are you f'n kidding me? The only way it should operate is to make it a secondary display! So you can see WHERE THE HECK YOU ARE DRAWING ON.

5. Arcan Temival

Arcan Temival Pen Pal - Newbie

Because coding is fun!

6. stoneseeker

lol There he is!

There just haven't been enough Shog rants these days...
    You know what forum sure could use your legendary capslocks? Fujitsu forum. Just go and take a look at what they did to our T9xx series with the T904. (yes 4. They skipped 3 I guess)

7. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A friend of mine used to work at Fujitsu UK - the 903 configuration would have caused problems because they had a 15 inch touch panel - part number named t903 already.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. stoneseeker

oh. You mean the digitizer panel that should have been in their new powerhouse 15" T903 with full voltage CPU and dedicated GPU... grr.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I am sort of amazed that no one is trying this out on their Cintiq Companion devices. There was all that complaining about it not having the plug-in Cintiq ability, but here's this dude that's done it. I linked to it in the other thread more than once, but eventually, ya know, you're like "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

For anyone interested, the guy had a blog that posted info on it. Was it perfect? No. But it seemed exciting and was demonstrating real progress. It was fully working under certain circumstances.

It functioned like a Cintiq with the image on screen on the tablet. It was fully powered by the more powerful desktop CPU. And lag wasn't an issue as long as you plugged it in by USB. What's not to like?

It's just weird.... people keep complaining, there's an answer right here waiting to be used, I've linked to it, but this thread is largely dead.

azelll likes this.
  10. azelll

azelll Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi! You're right, I was wondering why more people don't use this as well, it's is a great solution, and you could save tons of money with this trick, instead of buying a cintiq or the new companion, but I tried few times to use it... and then I had to give up cause I couldn't get pressure sensitivity, I'm not much of a programmer unfortunately, and I have no idea where is the problem, but the few posts here actually inspired me to re-try, I will format one of my computer and see if I can get it to work this time
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.