Can you use a tablet as a cintiq-like device?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Steve B, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

What a fantastically informative post! :).

One last question. What it the tablet is a higher res than 1024? For example, I could see using a new Atom tablet for this. They're a bit underpowered, but are very light and have great battery life. Theyre all the 1366 res. work don't have one, but that would be a great usage. I DO also have a 1280 x 800 tablet though. Same question. My understanding is that that'll work too, as long as the tablet res is lower than the desktop monitor's res, but after reading your post, I was a bit confused on that, as you seemed focused on the 1024 res. So, I guess the question is what happens if you use a tablet with a res higher than 1024 ?

Btw, I eagerly await the tutorial. Very cool news!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Any news on the write up? I thought I'd check in, as its been a week. I look forward to the experiment!

3. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Pen Pal - Newbie

Writeup is here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Thanks so much Tim! I'll admit, the screen resolution cap problem is a project killer for me. I would want to draw on the full native resolution of my T902 screen, otherwise, it just looks too awkward and cramped for it to be a viable workhorse. However, If we could find a way around that caveat I think it would be an ideal way to use a tablet. People could use their tablet out and about and then come home and also use it as a cintiq with a cheap and powerful desktop. It sorta amazes me that no company has tried to market a tablet/system like that yet.

thanks again for all your hard work and time documenting your project for us!

5. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Pen Pal - Newbie

Seems a little pointless on a T902 anyway, since that should run anything you need. The thing to do is buy a 12" 1024x768 tablet just for this purpose. There's a whole generation of them out there under $200.

6. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for all your work and write up Tim, I've enjoyed reading and following your progress. It will give a whole new life to older tablets but for some people like myself, a cheap(ish) but very powerful quad core desktop and either your solution or the new Lenovo 13.3 inch monitor are the future.

I might try both solutions but I know I am definitely buying the 1423p when it comes out and I have started researching a very powerful bespoke desktop.

7. stoneseeker

I agree right now it's redundant to explore. I just think it could breathe new life into this machine in 5 years, when inevitably, it is considered older tech that needs replacing. Turning it into a cintiq-like option would be a great way to get more life and use out of it. And, for the record, a desktop would blow this thing out of the water in heavy 3D applications like Maya and Sculptris... so there would still be gain.

8. azelll

azelll Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I love this project, and I got the perfect candidate for this, a motion computing F5, with 1024x768 4/3 monitor, a perfect fit!
    I followed all the instructions, installed Ubuntu, did all the connections, but then I get stuck at the point where you actually need to connect the computers with Hw vsp3.. the Lan connection keep dropping, and the software is buggy, sometimes I can't even click on anything...
    Anyway, after trying to connect the machine for a couple of hours at the end I randomly opened a connection in advanced option in HWvsp3, and somehow it started working,
    but the connection work only over WIFI, is a little bit laggy and I don't have pressure sensitivity :-/
    the monitor fit is simply perfect... I just don't know what I am doing wrong... I never used Linux, but it seem more a problem on the Windows /connections side, can anyone help with this?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  9. adecoy95

adecoy95 Pen Pal - Newbie

anyone know of a solution to be able to do something like this with my surface pro tablet? obviously i wouldn't want to reformat it, but was hoping there might be some kind of software solution i could use since its a full version of windows 8

thanks

10. stoneseeker

you would need to create a separate small partition for linux, unfortunately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.