Can you use a tablet as a cintiq-like device?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Steve B, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I have a stupid question, I'm sure you'll all have an easy answer, but why Linux?? Isn't there a way to use virtual machine and COM forwarding with windows to windows? It seems Linux itself is the source of a lot of questions and frustrations...

2. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Pen Pal - Newbie

Believe me, the Linux part here is the easy and reliable part. It just also happens to be the one I can mess with most. Now that I've figured out how to do it the Linux side woks a lot better than the Windows side. Also Linux generally has much lower overhead than Windows.

Somebody earlier in the thread found what might be a Windows solution if you want to pay a couple hundred bucks. There are also some free options that might be worth investigating, but they're very light in documentation.

3. Tim Cooper

Setting the M4 to 1024x768 doesn't fix anything. In retrospect this seems kind of obvious, as the digitizer isn't affected by the resolution settings. I still think this should work fine with tablets that are native at 1024x768.

Also, Nvidia graphics and Ubuntu 12 really don't play well together at anything besides native res.

4. cheRRymonk

cheRRymonk Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my 1360x768 desktop stretched onto tablet's fullscreen 1400x1050. Just added -listen 0 to /root/.config/openbox/autostart.sh

Many thanks to Karl J. Runge, the developer of x11vnc who led me to this fix.

Unfortunately my mouse pointer still bugged even with full res stretched (maybe stretched res doesn't affect it?).
    Calibration doesn't fix it.

P.S. The fix below is only for those who use live USB boot not hdd installed method.
    1.Boot USB and connect tablet to LAN,open the COM
    2.Using Putty type:
    killall Xorg
    vi /root/config/.openbox/autostart.sh
    3.It will open autostart.sh for editing. Use down arrow key to find vncviewer line. Then press "I" on your keyboard, this enables edit mode. Using left/right arrows add "0" after -listen and your desired resolution after -scale. For example:
    vncviewer -listen 0 -scale 1400x1050 -fullscreen -16bpp -nobs -graball &
    Now, press Esc, then type :w and :q (saving and exit)
    4. Finally, type
    startx
    5. Start VNC session with the .bat file.

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just curious;

What would happen if Linux were loaded on to both machines? I hear WINE can run Photoshop really well nowadays.

Would that allow for more flexibility in screen to tablet control. . ?

6. Tim Cooper

Probably. I don't know that I'm up for that, especially because what I have running is probably good enough for me - I'm essentially emulating a 10.3" cintiq on the 14.1" tablet, and while it would be nice to have those extra inches, I don't know that I think it's worth a bunch more work. I'll get a writeup up in the next few days so anyone who wants to can take what I've got and run with it.

Though one benefit of switching to Linux on the desktop end would be the ability to start everything from the tablet, which would be nice.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

So, wait , do you have it working with pressure sensitivity and an accurate pen tip, or not? I'm confused. Seemed like you had everything, but the cursor was off by a few inches. Is that true? Or is that true only if you want your full screen to get used?

8. Tim Cooper

Only at full screen. I have everything working when limited to the 1024x768 on the top left.

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

So, to reiterate and make sure I understand things as they currently stand--

I have an old Motion le1600. It has a 1024 x 720 4:3 screen. If I wanted to run it off a desktop that has a 1680 x 1050 res screen, I would need to "shrink" the available visual space on the desktop screen to match the resolution of whatever device I was going to use as my "cintiq", correct? Thus your comment about the "top left"?

Additionally, you're doing this through a method similar to kinggeek's, but not exactly the same? He was doing it by installing a specialized mini-version of Linux, but you're doing it by running Ubuntu on the mobile tablet and Windows on the desktop, currently?

And finally, the issue you're still working on is trying to figure out how to get your tablet to scale to the larger dimensions of your desktop?

One issue I saw with this is different aspect ratios. Even if you could get them to scale, if they're different aspect ratios, I would think you wouldn't want them to. Wouldn't you want to keep a better 1:1 ratio? So, if I've got a 4:3 tablet and a larger 16:10 or 16:9 screen, wouldn't want them to match anyways, it would seem to me.

If you get all this figured out, can you post a new guide? It sounds like you're doing some awesome fact-finding and problem-fixing. I'll admit that kinggeek's stuff was rather intimidating for someone who doesn't know Linux at all. Booting from a USB or partitioning and dual booting, registry and driver hacks, command lines and all that.

edit-
    Oh, and how is this working through wifi? I would imagine some pretty reasonable lag. Are you using a direct connection to get good results?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  10. Tim Cooper

If you changed your desktop resolution to 1024x768, you would get full-screen pressure sensitivity on your tablet. Ideally there would be a way to run it in a desktop window that size, but that probably involves running some sort of virtualization. (If you're multi-monitoring on the desktop this is only the primary monitor, thankfully.)

It's not the top left of the desktop, it's the top left of the tablet, because the M4 is 1400x1050, but the Wacom driver that receives the data on the desktop and maps it to the screen seems to operate at 1024x768. So the bottom and right of the tablet behave like they're off the edge of the desktop. With a 1024x768 tablet you would not have this problem. If this is still confusing I'll have pictures in the real writeup. When you can look at it it's really clear. I expect the key thing for you though is that I'm virtually certain it will work perfectly on a 1024x768 tablet.

This is correct. The base method is the same, just the interface around it is simplified.

I actually ended up not bothering with that because of the hard limit I'm talking about above. It's easier to just change the desktop resolution.

If you're using this like a regular Wacom tablet, where you're looking at both the tablet and computer, then this would be a problem, and one without a cheap and easy fix. But if you're just using it remotely then having a weird resolution on the desktop doesn't matter.

You're still going to have to do some command line stuff, but I can be more clear about it than KG was, and Ubuntu is a lot easier to deal with than SliTaz. (No partitioning, no boot from USB, and it sets up the dual boot for you.) Unfortunately because I killed two days on this earlier in the week I have a bunch of real work to catch up on, but there will be a writeup, though it may be next week before I get to it.

I haven't tested wifi yet, just ethernet. If anything ethernet works slightly better than drawing in Windows on the tablet. Wifi will probably have lag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.