Can you use a tablet as a cintiq-like device?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Steve B, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

This is really interesting, cutting edge stuff. I saw a video on your blog, but it is from a distance. It would be interesting to see you drawing on your smaller tablet closer up, so we could see if there was any real lag or not. Also, what sort of art programs are you using on your version of Linux? Besides Gimp, I've wanted to try Krita, which looks pretty powerful. Also, can you port Windows art applications in your version of Linux? I was thinking of programs like Artrage or Photoshop or Painter. Artrage the most. I'm just trying to get a better grasp on the applications and limitations of what you're offering. It sounds really interesting! I might have to try it! :)

I know next to nothing about Linux, but I was looking up if I could run Artrage in Linux, and it seems that Wine Doors provided this option at one point. Do you run something like that _with_ your version? Or is it one or the other? If I could run Windows applications through this method you're proposing, that would be of particular interest to me, as well as to others, I'm sure.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

wait... he said he is running the art program in windows (on the desktop). So he can use any windows compatible program he wants. Linux is only being used to drive the tablet and let it communicate with the desktop, but the desktop is windows and is running whatever art software you want to run! Unless I'm mistaken here.

So I don't think you have to worry about Linux compatibility. It's pretty much just acting like a cintiq for his desktop, just in a more round about way, and wireless!

3. Steve B

My understanding was he was running Windows on the desktop and Linux on the slate.... OH! I see... Yes, perhaps that is true then. Is that right kinggeek? If so, that's really interesting stuff. That would mean I could run my AHK scripts too, etc. right? It sounds a lot like a virtual desktop, but better somehow..... ???

4. kinggeek

kinggeek Pen Pal - Newbie

Stoneseeker has it. That is exactly correct. The fact that tablet is running linux is irrelevant. The tablet simply becomes an input device/additional monitor to the Windows PC. It also scales the larger resolution PC monitor to fit the smaller resolution tablet screen.

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

im eventually going to try this.
    kinggeek - if your desktop is online and on, could you log in and operate your computer on the tablet from anywhere with an internet connection? or is it only a local network connection?

6. kinggeek

This would not work for my software as it's the desktop that initiates the connection. To simply access your desktop PC from a tablet you could just use VNC and port forward through your firewall/router (provided you knew your public IP address). This would not be pressure sensitive and would not have the high resolution of the tablet, but that would be irrelevant as it would be too slow to do useful artwork over the internet in any case.

7. jameless

jameless Pen Pal - Newbie

something like this would not work on an asus ep121 would it, kinggeek?

8. Steve B

Actually, it was exactly my understanding that it _would_ work on a normal tablet pc. I hope that's the case. If not, I completely misunderstood this. Do normal tablet
    pcs have the appropriate kind of digitizer kinggeek? Or is it some sort of special old style tablet of digitizer that I need?

9. kinggeek

You might be able to do something like this with the EP121, though it seems like a powerful enough machine by itself so I'm not sure what the advantage might be. It would also depend on how the internal Wacom digitizer was connected internally.

10. Steve B

Well, an ep121 is no where as powerful as a desktop, that's for sure. But if you could have it be a mobile sketchpad with a bit of oomph, then have it become a far more powerful wifi Wacom "cintiq" alternative while in the house when it's powered by a real desktop, etc. That then becomes a far more powerful and versatile tool.

The truth is I thought of this example for some of the current new Atom slates coming out with Win8, for example, which have really good battery life. I also thought about the idea of running your Linux setup on a Galaxy Note 10.1", for example, though I don't know if you can even do that. But it too has a Wacom digitizer in it, as far as I know.

But, more specific to myself currently-- For example, I have a Motion le1600 from 2006/2007 that would be perfect for an application like this. Underpowered for real "work", but quite functional as a mobile sketchpad. It's got a nice Hydis 4:3 screen too, and is quite thin and light by older standards (3 lbs). So, yes, this is exactly the idea of how I'd like to use your setup.

The thing that caught me was your description of the "USB to serial hub" wacom driver". I have, frankly, no real, sophisticated knowledge about how my le1600 or x200t digitizer functions. I guess one way to try it out would be to download the driver and then try to install it on my 1600, right? If it functions, then all should be ok....???? The digitizers, to my understanding, have not changed much in the tablet pcs over the last 10 years at all.

What kind of tablet did you specifically use for this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.