Can you use a tablet as a cintiq-like device?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Steve B, Jul 26, 2011.

1. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks man. Guess Ill just have to wait a little while longer.

I was hoping to use my surface pro as an intuos with my notebook, so I wouldnt have to carry an extra intuos with me for mobility. I would be able to start a work with the surface and when it reached its maximum file handling capabilities, I could then switch to the notebook, using the surface as the tablet.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

The closest you'll find to this is the Companion hybrid. Although it's only Android instead of windows when not connected.
    it's a shame really, because many people would find that functionality you just summed up very useful, the tech would be simple enough for Wacom or other manufacturer to implement, and yet here we are with no device that can do that.

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Damn. If all you want is the tablet to work as an Intuos-like system, I should think it would be a very easy software problem to solve.

I mean, when I call up the stylus driver on my system, and put it into diagnostic mode, it gives me a stream of X/Y coordinate, pressure and button state data right in the window. So the hardware input must be available in as simple a manner as any mouse input.

All you'd need is a program to read that and output it through USB from your Tablet PC, and another program on the second computer to read it and do something with it.

Perhaps our Python-scripting friend romz34 can take a look at it..?

I suspect the reason nobody around here has solved it yet is that they'd probably want the orders-of-magnitude-more-difficult addition of a visual feed to go along with the mouse info.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  4. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

These guys (http://www.sunnysidesoft.com/virtualtablet/download/) actually made something like this, but it still lacking tons of features and the project seems dead.

No usb connection, wifi only.
    No stylus button support.
    No sensitivity for photoshop.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

For the Virtual Tablet, it doesn't require WiFi. All it requires is just that your main PC and TabletPC are on the same local network, say 192.168.0.xxx. This can be done by using a "USB transfer cable" or "USB network cable" which has a chipset between two ends of USB cable and creates a virtual Ethernet connection over USB connection. This is actually how people tried to connect 2 PCs in the fastest way (USB 2.0 is still faster than 100MB/s Ethernet) about 10 years ago. If you have USB 3.0 or if you use 802.11 ac, it should be extremely fast.

But this thing is an Intuos-like device, not cintiq-like :(

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  7. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

I really hope some remote desktop based solutions, e.g., Splashtop
    [video=youtube;ldb0RvmXzsA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldb0RvmXzsA[/video]
    can make any tabletPC as a cintiq. The only thing is to spoof the host PC's Windows OS, make it believe that there is a (virtual) digitizer installed on the host PC. Just the same trick as the Virtual Tablet above. And then use the remote desktop to mirror or extend the display to TabletPC's screen, and transfer all pen input information from TabletPC to host PC's virtual digitizer. It shouldn't be a very hard task.

By the way, the touch works great over windows' own remote desktop protocol. I can RDP connect from my tablet PC into a mobile workstation which has no pen or touch input at all, run OneNote on mobile workstation, and then pinch to zoom in OneNote on my tablet PC's screen. But any pen input will be treated as mouse click. So only the pen input needs some work, hopefully not too hard. If it works, we will be able to use surface pro 3's 2160x1440 screen as a cintiq :D

Last edited: May 30, 2014
    azelll likes this.
  8. Phoenix995

Phoenix995 Pen Pal - Newbie

Any news on that?

9. Phoenix995

Phoenix995 Pen Pal - Newbie

is there nothing new about that?

10. DaanG

DaanG Pen Pal - Newbie

Hia,

Hope this page still shows some signs of life!

I've also posted this on Kinggeek's page, and thought i'd also give it a try here.

So after two days of fiddling around i managed to install slitaz from a USB thumb stick onto a lenovo thinkpad x201t. It has a serial wacom digitizer on its 1280x800 px screen (16:10). My desktop screen has the same aspect ratio (1920x1200).

VNC, HS VSP is also running well, refresh rates could be but are certainly not bad after changing VNC's refresh value.

The problem i am experiencing lays in the driver configurations (i believe). While the aspect ratios of both screens are the same and the X*Y data are correctly forwarded to the desktop, the outer right part of the screen isn't 'active'.Here is a picture to clarify.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0XhwsA3HqQldHdEbzkwcDBpVlE/view?usp=sharing

In the wacom driver diagnositc panel - after pressing ctrl-'About' - i see the 'x-data' value going from 0 up to +-26000. The cursor follows until xdata reaches 21200.

After opening the tablet.dat file in my appdata/roaming/WTablet folder i see this value stated a couple of times in lines like these:
    InputExtentX 21240
    OverlapExtentX 21240

So i tried changing these values to 26000 but unfortunately it doesn't affect it at all. The file also gets rewritten by the driver.

So long story short, i feel that i'm so close to having a diy cintiq.. But i have no idea how to fix this issue! Did anyone find out a way to fix this issue?

Thanks a million,
    Daan

Ps, the aspect ratio of the digitizer's 'active area' is 4:3 right now. y=15980 / x=21240 = 0.75