Can you sell me on the Venue 8 Pro versus the Asus VivoTab Note 8?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Fret44, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fret44

Fret44 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been thinking about getting an 8-inch Windows tablet for months. And it always came down to the same two machines: the Venue 8 Pro and the Vivotab Note 8.

I know why Vivotab Note 8 owners prefer their machine over the Dell. It's the Wacom digitizer. For a while I was pretty much sold on that view, and I was intent on buying the Asus before I learned about the high failure rate associated with Vivotab Note 8 digitizers. I really don't want to deal with the headache of an unreliable machine. Plus, I'm honestly not sure how much I'm really going to use a stylus. So maybe I don't really care that much about the Wacom.

I also keep hearing people suggest that the digitizer aside, the Venue 8 Pro is the better machine. But when I look at the specs, I can't really figure out why. The two tablets look virtually identical on the spec sheet. Am I missing something?

Plus, people seem to love the Dell. I don't hear about any major reliability problems. It sounds like the new stylus is alright. With the Asus, it always sounds like people are putting up with its problems for the sake of a Wacom digitizer.

In general, I expect to use this 90% of the time for consuming media. That's browsing the internet, reading books and articles, checking my email and so on. Basic stuff with minimal typing. I'm not taking notes. I'm not drawing.

10% of the time I need a real desktop on the go. I don't expect to use it much for that or for long, but I will need specific desktop only programs. When that need arises, I expect to use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. That 10% is actually what keeps me from getting an Android tablet.

So I'm putting it to you guys: why should I get a Venue Pro 8 instead of a Vivotab Note 8? I'd love for all of you to sell me on this machine, because I've been hemming and hawing about this so long, and at this point I just want to make a decision that I won't regret.

Can you reassure me that the Dell Venue Pro 8 is a good, worthwhile choice?

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I read through your use case analysis and did not notice any real pen use projection. So, does that eliminate what digitizer tech is used?

The Dell V8P does not come with the pen but the Asus VN8 comes with a poker stick. So that is one plus on the side of the VN8. However, using a Wacom digitizer and a slightly smaller battery the VN8 will have shorter battery life. So that is one on the plus side of the V8P.

If you would consider used you could save enough money to justify one of each but I am pretty confident there are more V8P's so they should be cheaper. If you do consider used, however, do not overlook the ThinkPad Tablet 8 since it may have a better assortment of ports and accessories. The only issue is it is now an orphan, at least in the USA, as Lenovo has pulled it off the market. Also, the TT8 has no digitizer at all.

Whichever you go for get a 64 GB no matter how attractive the 32 GB price is.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

3. Fret44

Fret44 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the reply.

I'm really trying to determine whether - digitizer and pen aside - the Dell is the more powerful machine that some folks have implied it is. I've looked at the specs, and there just doesn't seem to be much difference between the two tablets I'm looking at.

Dell
    - Intel® Atom™ processor Z3740D with 64GB storage (2MB Cache, up to 1.8GHz Quad-Core)
    - 2GB Single Channel DDR3L-RS 1600MHz

Asus
    - Intel® Atom™ Z3740 Quad-Core, 1.86 GHz
    - LPDDR3, 2 GB

But I'm not well versed on the difference between the the processors and the different types of RAM.

And, yes, I know about getting the 64 GB. They probably shouldn't even sell the smaller versions.

4. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's not the Ram that is different, it's the emmc that is a lot faster in the Dell ( even with the wrong bios).

Compare it to an old PM22 to a PM830, both where a hell of a lot better den hs's, but after using the PM830, the PM22 feels like a hd ;-) ( have them both in a Dell precision M6500 )

5. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

If you don't care about the WACOM stylus (the only real reason to get the Vivotab over the Venue Pro), ABSOLUTELY get the Dell. Its a bit slimmer, still has limited pen support if you ever want it, (its not that bad really for note taking) and performance is identical. (Yes I know there is a web site out there that says that the VivoTab has better performance (but if you use A03 BIOS with the right tweaks, performance is the same, and even slightly in favor of the Dell).

Plus there have not been any real build quality issues that I am aware of with the Dell. All around a great device.

6. carusodan

carusodan Pen Pal - Newbie

I pondered all the specs and concluded there was no practical difference. The single channel memory might be a bit slower but it isn't something I can perceive. I love Wacom but I decided if there was pen input failure it's easier to RMA the Dell pen rather than the entire Asus tablet. I picked up the Dell today for $199 at Office Depot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

office depot had the dell 64gb for 199?!

8. jkenny23

jkenny23 Scribbler - Standard Member

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

As one of the Asus Vivotab Note 8's biggest fanboys... I say get the Dell if the pen isn't important. You see no significance between the specs because there is no significant spec difference. The advantage of the Dell is mostly build quality and reliability which wont appear in a spec sheet. The screen also looks nicer. I'm not sure how easy that is to put on a spec sheet (color accuracy/saturation?), but I typically do not have a good feel for those types of stats =)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  10. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting recommendation and perspective--thanks!