1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Can the T901 Replace a Normal Laptop?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Boots, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Boots

Boots Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an HP Pavilion dv6000. If you're not familiar, just replace with another laptop, they're probably similar.

My question is, what does the T901 NOT have compared to my current laptop (or other similar computer)?

What does it not have compared to a desktop?

If I'm going to shell out $2000 for it I want it to be just as good, if not better, than what I have now.

If you can answer the questions but regarding the HP 2760, that would be helpful as well, but as this is not the HP section I may just post this over there too.
  2. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Boots,
    That is a difficult question to answer as there may be several things that are different but how would one know if what you need is missing?

Let's rephrase the question as a first step; what is it you do with the dv6000 that you would need the T901/2760P to do as a replacement?

Right now the only thing I can think that the T901 or 2760P would have a disadvantage would be in screen size. The T901 is 13.3" and the 2760P is 12.1" and both have a 16:10 ratio. Correct me if I am wrong but your dv6000 is 15.1" 16:9 correct?
  3. Boots

Boots Pen Pal - Newbie

Right, sorry. I use video editing software, a free image editing software, heavy internet and word processing, lots of music, I watch shows and movies on it, I tend to open a lot of windows and tabs and leave them for days (I hibernate the computer at night so they don't close... I'll probably treat a new computer better, haha), I usually have at least one or two games downloaded (about the size of Age of Mythology or McGee's Alice or Spore, for example). I would take notes/do homework on it.

So not anything too taxing I think, and as far as multi-tasking goes I'd probably just do any of those plus music, maybe something downloading in the background every great once in a while. Would it be as powerful as a normal laptop? If I got 4g mem/320 gig with Nvidia? I guess that's my main concern... I think I'm worried that I won't think of something and regret it when I can't do it, heh.

And I was worried about the screen size at first, because this laptop's screen is pretty big, so I didn't want a very big drop, but I think 13.1 would be pretty good, especially if I take it places, in which case a screen this size would be too cumbersome.
  4. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Tablet PCs are essentially normal laptops with a different hinge and the display sandwiched between a digitizer panel and a front glass. That's about it.

There's nothing Tablet PC specific when it comes to using it as a normal laptop. They use the same CPUs, memory, chipset, hard drives etc.
    So when it comes to things like playing games the question is down to "what's the GPU?". The same question you ask when comparing your dv6000 to an Acer AS12345-XY or a Lenovo R5323i or anything else.

If you could be fine with a 13.3" laptop with the same weight, size, CPU, etc, a 13.3" Tablet PC will be exactly the same with just some added features.

The question "what does it not have compared to a desktop" is the same. It lacks the same things as all laptops.
  5. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Okay, now I see....the big one will be PC games. But I would venture a guess that if the dv6000 runs what you need then the T901 will as well. As far as the rest of what you run the T901 will handle it without cracking a sweat. My Q550 with a lowly Atom runs everything except the video editing software. I even run CAD on it.

The nice part about the convertible TabletPC's is that you can swivel the screen around and get it closer to your eyeballs. The smallest screen can still become the largest video screen in the world that way!

You would not have an issue with what you run on a daily basis with either the T901, T731, or the 2760P. In fact, a used T900, T730, 2740P, or even a T5010 would work for you as well.

All this is just in support of what Hattori also posted...
  6. Boots

Boots Pen Pal - Newbie

Cool, I had heard that some tablets weren't made to be as powerful as normal computers, even laptops, but it seems like that's not true (at least with these).

Thanks for your help, both of you!
  7. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

The T901 only has an Nvidia NVS4200 as the only dedicated video card. If you want to play recent computer games you would want something better than that.

Tablet PCs are not made for heavy gaming yet.