Can the Surface Book 2 13'' replace my desktop PC?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Tourniquet, Dec 6, 2017.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would hate that with a passion. Given how......disgustingly messy, cluttered, & unorganized my Desktop is....and how easily I let it get messy.......I would hate bringing my specific Desktop experience to my laptop or tablet. One thing I like about using my MSP13 its that its like using a clean system. Just art files and Clip Studio Paint and Photoshop on my 128GB SSD........ None of the 4-8TB of crap I have scattered thru my desktops windows explorer tabs. I kind of prefer having my mobile experience as detached from my desktop experience as humanly possible.

that aside..... in the US....going all cloud is doable....but other countries and markets.....different story. 2 years ago when I was in Australia for 2 weeks....all Wi-fi.....from the hotels....cafes.....public places....literally all free wi-fi was data capped to near uselessness. Like 100MB per day....or less.....I'd hope its better now.......2 years later.....but relying on the cloud is pretty sucky if you're in a data capped situation.

2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I prefer it this way too, but in line with the OP's thinking, the current trend seems to be consolidating everything into one portable laptop/device.

The "desktop" experience become like Windows Continuum where elements merely adapts to a larger screen, mouse/keyboard interface and possibly an external GPU and/or storage devices.

Judging from the rates cloud storage is expanding, in about ~3 years the average cost per terabyte of data will be lower on the cloud, than a mechanical hard drive with 2 year life span. Local storage will simply be for high-speed applications.

Welcome to the future, boys... :confused::p

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Am I the only one who uses a Nas instead? -.-

4. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

I always commute between two places and before I always had to sync up stuff etc. That was and is always very painful. And since one of the places has a very very bad internet connection, onedrive and stuff is not really an option.

Sometimes I forgot some files and couldn’t work on some things for weeks.

Since I already got a Surface Dock in one place (which I share), it would be easy to get the Surface Book running there without any effort. I also wouldn’t need to integrate another dock and complicate things :p That’s one if not the main reason I’m looking at a Surface device.

Another reason of course is, it could replace my current Tablet which I use for notes and stuff. I used the Surface Pro 3 a long time and originally wanted to get the Surface Pro 2017.

I use my desktop PC mainly for coding, some light video editing, web surfing and I also need a VM running.

I was thinking about it a lot and for me the Surface Book 2 13’’ (it’s the only model sold in Germany) with its quad core CPU and 16GB memory would be ‘perfect’ for my use case, if performs on pair with my current desktop pc.

Hearing that the Surface Book could only last max 4 years is very troublesome. I heard a lot from Mac Book Pro owners that their devices can reach 7 years very easily. And it’s not like ~ 3000€ is a cheap purchase.

Another option, while not perfect, would be to get a cheaper Surface Pro 2017 or Surface Book 1, which I could replace in maybe 4 years. It nearly costs half, but it would def. be an downgrade to my desktop PC right now.

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Tourniquet I think we're all saying that the Surface line (or frankly any other modern tablet-first device) is the wrong way to go if long-term reliability is paramount. My Surface Pro 1 purchased in 2013 is still going strong but the Surface Pro 3 released a year later developed a display discoloration along one edge that is impossible to fix.

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

FWIW those ain't built to last either. If you want reliability, go business-class. They are pricey when purchased new, but used/open box are often cheaper than new consumer devices which are nowhere near in terms of build quality and repairability.

But do you really want it? Get stuck with one device for years, while the world moves on. New technologies introduced and implemented, gradual increase in performance and battery life, etc.

7. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah I got that.

I had a lot of surfaces myself: Surface RT, Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, Surface 3, Surface Pro 3. I only had one big issue with the Surface Pro 3, the HDD controller failed. In terms of battery I've got the feeling the SP3 had so far the best battery. I've had it 2 years and it only showed around 1-3% battery wear which is pretty good.

That's why I thought in my mind around 7 years would be doable. Even more so if I mostly use it docked anyway.

That's why I'm saying if the Surface Book 2 probably won't last as long, a Surface Pro 2017 / Surface Book 1 would be my other choice, while not perfect. Since both devices aren't as expensive / I would limit myself to only paying have of the Surface Book 2 price. So I'd be okay with replacing that in about 4 years.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well.., commuting between two places where you might find yourself for weeks at a time... That's adds a whole extra dimension, for sure!

I'd probably still try to emulate my home setup; get a portable work station kind of machine for the home base, like that Lenovo monster (the 720 was it?) but also carry a slim tablet around for meetings and cafes and such.

I just double-save everything as I go to a high-reliability USB stick and sync up when I 'return to base'.

The nice thing these days is that there is enough choice out there that you can do a pretty good job of finding the right machine/s to suit your work flow rather than having to design your time around what is available.

Heck, go for the Surface Book 2 and see how that goes. Maybe it'll be the perfect solution for you. (But my advice: keep that USB stick handy! The idea of keeping all files on a single device gives me the bad chills.)

9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't see any problem with this. And contrary to most people here, I don't switch between by desktop and laptop for work.

I have a VAIO Z Canvas tablet, plenty powerful enough for all my professional graphics/coding work. Very important documents, I backup onto flash memory and sometimes cloud. My desktop is basically just a gaming/media machine (with the capability to do work if I ever need it ;)).

I see no reason why the SB2 couldn't perform exactly the same for you.