Can the S-Pen be used with othere Samsung tablets?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by NUHP1, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NUHP1

NUHP1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I was reading about the Samsung S-pen for the Galaxy Note all this week. I was wondering if the S-pen can be used with Samsung's other tablets. Unfortunately the only info I could find never brings this matter up. What do you guys think?

Samsung Galaxy Note S pen demonstration - YouTube

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

No, I dont think so. The Note looks to be a Wacom digitizer and thats why the S Pen works on it. The other tablets aren't Wacom Penabled so they won't accept input from the pen.

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Steve is right. The S-Pen is a Wacom pen, which only works, if the tablet/smartphone has a Wacom digitizer behind the display, which only the Samsung Galaxy Note has.

So the pen won't work on any other current Samsung tablet.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Except the Samsung Series 7 :) The Series 7 has a Wacom Digitizer

5. storebror

storebror Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone else share my feeling that Samsung is giving this S-pen concept some love and hopefully they´ll run with it and give us more(larger) devices with it?

6. jnjroach

You mean like the Series 7 Slate? It's 11.6" ;)

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Lol. You're like a running gag here. !! But you're right- the s7 bodes well for other Samsung products.

8. Frank

But it's not an Android tablet, thus uses Windows and Intel, thus:
    expensive, heavy, bulky, short battery life, not that touch friendly, but a lot of powerful software.

I think the more interesting stuff would be a Samsung tablet using ARM and Android with a Wacom pen, so it's affordable, long battery life and enough for a lot of people for simple sketches or notes. (or an Asus Transformer with Wacom pen, godlike :) )

9. jnjroach

Really Frank???

I first I thought maybe the statement was in jest...but as I read your whole reply...

The series 7 slate is neither heavy nor bulky and I get 5-7 hours of battery, if you view tablets as a 3rd device, I see your point. But for me the Series 7 replace a laptop and a toy tablet (companion device). So the net is less to carry and a lighter load...

As far as Android is concerned, it is a fractured and buggy mobile OS that has one purpose, drive people to Google's properties.

Oh well....rant over

10. Frank

Samsung Series 7 Slate vs. Asus Transformer Prime:
    11.66" x 7.24" x 0.51" vs. 10.4" x 7.12" x 0.33"
    1.98 lbs. vs. 1.29 lb
    5-7hr battery vs. 12h battery

So compared to the currently highest end Android tablet the Samsung slate is both heavy and bulky, and has short battery life. Personally, even a battery life of 7 hours is not enough for my taste.

I don't own an Android tablet, only a smartphone and have access to the Galaxy Note. I agree, Android is nothing compared to Windows.

It always depends on what you use it for. If you try to replace your computers with a tablet, then you're right, Android is a no-go.
    But if you want a portable device, then an Android tablet is the way to go, especially if it has pen.

And Android a buggy fractured mobile OS? Mh, Android is the most versatile mobile OS out there right now. And it gets closer and closer becoming a full desktop OS. And it's probably the best choice for ARM platforms right now. I doubt that Windows 8 for ARM will be as versatile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.