Can the c140x go through a tv?

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by waplespunk, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

Right click your desktop, properties, settings

it should show 2 shapes representing the 2 screens. You can change the resolution on either screen, they do not have to match.

If you cant see the two pictures do the following:

right click desktop, then click on your video or graphics card settings. There should be an option to use or set up dual screen mode.

You can usually adjust the screen resolutions from there too. But sometimes after changing some settings, they wont take effect until you reboot.

And yes, tv's and monitors can have the same resolutions (assuming they can match each other in pixels) its just that the monitor might be a little clearer image, unless you have a high def tv.

2. gutierrez

gutierrez waiting for a fixed fan

It's all in what you want. Do you have an HDTV?

Long rambling answer to follow...

Your Average TV set:
    If not, the VGA to S-Video/Composite adapter will work fine. Just know that on Composite any resolution greater than 640x480 is nigh unreadable. On S-video you can up that to around 800x600 but it starts to get fuzzy.

HDTV sets:
    If you want HD, it becomes a new ballgame. If you have an LCD TV or flatscreen, they should have native resolutions similar to a monitor, and so do even take in VGA or DVI (you can get converter dongles for cheap on e-bay.) After that, things start to get nasty. I have a RCA rear projection HDTV... It doesn't take digital DVI, only analog, so a dongle won't work. You'll need scan converter to get HD. Just know that these can get pretty expensive ($150(US)+.)

Hoping against hope:
    The ATI all-in-wonder cards have converter dongles that go from VGA to HDTV, but I have a feeling the card in the C140X doesn't support HDTV resolutions like those do. Also, there is a program called PowerStrip which can force HDTV resolutions on video cards, but it looks pretty dangerous.

3. everlast2504

everlast2504 Pen Pal - Newbie

for the c140 x with the 2300 hd. the video is made to handle HD video. i don't know how your hooking it up to a tv but in past experinces with an older computer. i took s vid out in to a tv. computer stuff looked like crap but video on the other hand looked amazing even crappy ones i had came out looking great on a regular tube.

4. gutierrez

Via http://ati.amd.com/products/mobilityradeonx2300/specs.html

Flexible display support:
    * Content-adaptive de-flicker filtering for interlaced displays
    * Xilleon™ TV encoder for high quality analog output
    * YPrPb component output for direct drive of HDTV displays
    * VGA mode support on all outputs

Okay, so we have evidence it can be set to HDTV output, I will be getting one of the ATI VGA to HDTV dongles for my All-in-wonder soon. My EAD is the end of this month (so maybe by mid-September, when it will more than likely arrive) I can test and see what happens if I use the converter on the VGA out of the laptop.

Anyone know what outputs the dock/port-replicator for the C-140x Has?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. DRR

DRR Pen Pal - Newbie

The specs are here.

6. jorgecar

jorgecar PenPal

7. gutierrez

Yeah, clarifications are good.

Thanks for clearing up the outputs. Too bad there's no TV-out on that.

Yeah, but don't go spending your money quite yet, unless you just want to be the first to experiment. I don't know what resolutions you can set the card to from Catalyst, so if it doesn't have the options for 1080i, 720p, whatever try The utility Powerstrip. (http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm) This allows you to set monitor resolutions to anything the card can support, and I know has predefined settings for ATI HDTV. So if anyone else wants to be adventurous and already has one of these tablets, no, excuse me, Convertible Notebooks ;) you can give it a shot before I report on it. Just know, no guarantees it will work.

8. gutierrez

So I bought the adapter for my desktop (It has the proper ATI All-in-wonder) and plugged it into my laptop to give it a whirl. Results? Deplorable. I was only able to pull a slightly off color and a little off synch image at 480p. The Card attempts to set to the ATI HDTV resolutions, seems to accept them, but when you go external monitor they are definitely not supported. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

So what can I offer as alternatives?

VGA to HD scalers/converters - These little boxes tend to convert VGA signals to Component video out at different resolutions. They tend to be expensive $100+, and if you go cheap are clunky plug in boxes.

Ex: AITech - Hdview PC to HDTV Converter PC to HDTV Up Converter ($100-$150)
    http://www.provantage.com/aitech-06-841-002-51~AAITE12W.htm

Total Insanity (PCMCIA to PCI box) - You want to be the kid with the biggest toy on the block? At around $1400 you could buy another laptop, but this allows you to hook up any 4 PCI cards to your laptop. So you could have a secondary video card that has TV out, and then some.

Ex: MAGMA Expansion Unit ($1400)
    http://sewelldirect.com/PCMCIA-to-PCI-4-slot.asp?source=froogle&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cse
    (Yeah this is a bit of a joke)

9. kidkadian

kidkadian DJ / VJ / Performer

the question : Can the c140x go through a tv?

The Answer: NO!!!!

the VGA card on the C-140X will not support TV out Thru S-Video the technology that would allow you to attach a simple dongle may it be a ( vga to Comp. HDTV or a ****ty ebay vga to s video ) and have it work.

when you attach the dongle it will send a signal but the laptop will only recognize it as a vga monitor and not a TV.

one possible solution is to mod the drivers via
    http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool/

i am going to give this a shot and i will report on my findings, i am still not sure if i will return this product for a HP tc4200 ( it has s-video out ).

so it is either mod the drivers and hope it works or scan converter land which means crappy quality, more crap to carry around and something else to crap out on you when you really need it .

Why the hell did computer companies give up on s-video it works so well and isn't really a big port like a parallel /serial port. on a side not i miss my old dot matrix... i really do!

10. gutierrez

The ATI 2300 HD is an interesting case. The card itself is in the AVIVO chipset class. This means it has native YPrPb component output on the chip. Now whether or not Gateway actually has the right pins hooked up off the chip to even be able to enable this functionality is the unknown.

I hadn't thought of modtool. I actually had it installed on my old laptop. It's a great tool for enabling extra functionality on your ATI cards. For example, the old card I had in my last laptop didn't allow for clone screen until I installed modded drivers. I had no clue it could jimmy the drivers for something as recent as the 2300 HD.

Report:

Modtool works. The install is smooth, the drivers install, catalyst runs just fine after the install. Using the previously mentioned Powerstrip I was able to add the ATI 1080i and NTSC 640x480i resolutions to the output, but when using both the ATI VGA to Component dongle and a standard VGA to Component breakout cable I had no luck getting a clear picture. I plan to try the DVI port next.

(report edited)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.