Can I use DDR2 800 RAM on TX2000Z?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ross78, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ross78

ross78 Pen Pal - Newbie

The FSB of the processor is 800Mhz, (2.2G AMD Turion). Does this mean, I can use DDR2 800Mhz memory(PC6400) for the system?

Anyone can help?

Thanks

2. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

i'd say yes in theory all ddr2 should work unless it's slower
    and if it's faster it will just run at the speed the hp can do
    or the speed of the other ram in the sytem

3. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I also ordered more RAM for the tx2000 that I ordered and based on the recommendations of the HP rep, I went with the 2x2gb set of Crucial (800mhz) from newegg. My only gripe is that my guess is that HP uses Crucial in their machines which will all but guarantee that the RAM works without any issues, but the Crucial sticks have a latency of CL6, whereas the cheaper OCZ sticks have a latency of CL5. Since the memory controllers are integrated into Athlon CPUs, they actually benefit from lower latencies more than Intel units (hence my super low latency CL2 DDR sticks in my now ageing but overclocked to death desktop rig). If you are trying to squeeze out every ounce of performance, you may want to go with lower latency RAM at the risk of the motherboard not playing nice with them (or if the BIOS is crippled like the majority of notebook BIOS options, they will run slower anyway).

4. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

TX series notebooks don't come with Crucial RAM. My TX2000 came with Hynix SoDimms.

Gordon

5. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Argh! Then I'll have to wait for the Crucial to arrive so I can send them back and get the lower latency OCZ sticks...

6. c.e.y.a

c.e.y.a Pen Pal - Newbie

mine arrived today. It runs at 667mhz, but with cl4. So, this is a lot better than pc2 5300 with cl5. also, if you buy one with cl4 in ddr2 667mhz, it costs more.

btw, my tx2000z and its cpu 2.oghz, with this ddr2 pc6400 run fast in vista ultimate 64bit. I mean a lot faster than vista 32bit, and xp 32bit (which i installed in tx1000z)

7. misc_acct001

misc_acct001 Pen Pal - Newbie

hi all, i am planning to upgrade my tx2000 as well, but i wanna make sure it's compatible with DDR2 800 (PC6400) before i buy the memory. I saw some bought the pC6400, can you guys tell me if it works for you guys? or only work on PC5300. thanks in advance.

8. r.andom

r.andom Pen Pal - Newbie

The tx2000z supports PC5300 or PC6400; With OCZ PC6400 memory (newegg.com sells it and in the comments people have posted that it works with the tx2000z) it will cut the CL/CAS Latency a bit if the 800mhz memory is ran at 667mhz.

The part number of the kit I ordered is OCZ2M8004GK, it has the lowest latency I could find for PC6400 dimms. If you aren't completely sure look in the comments on newegg, there were people who stated that they were using the memory in their TX2000z if I remember correctly.

9. KhaOZ

KhaOZ Scribbler - Standard Member

Just received mine today, and it seems to be working fine so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.