Can I replace my laptop with a tablet PC or convertible?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by ditzer252, Aug 25, 2012.

1. ditzer252

ditzer252 Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

I'm not sure... I would be willing to pay a lot for the right machine that can meet my needs.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

I want something that is going to have a long useful life. If I can get that from a refurbished product that's fine.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

I'm looking for a tablet or convertible to replace my windows laptop. The easier it is to carry around the better.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    5 to7-inches
    7.1 to 10-inches
    10 to 13-inches
    Above 13-inches

10 inches or above. I think I would be most comfortable with something that was about the same size as an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

East Coast USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

No preference - I'm looking for both high performance and durability.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

Around 8 hours would be ideal.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

This machine will be used in a university business school environment. Right now I use my laptop for email, web, word processing, entertainment, photo editing, and statistical analysis.

I am interested in a tablet that can do all of the above and can also be used for note taking, PDF reading and annotation, and possibly delivering lectures.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

I would prefer to stick with a Windows OS, since that's what I'm most familiar with. That said, if there are non-Windows alternatives then I would be open to learning a new OS.

I do have an Android smartphone and I am a heavy user of Google services (Gmail and Calendar).

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, EndNote, Adobe Acrobat, Dragon Natural Speaking, MindJet MindManager, Skype, SPSS, SAS, Lightroom, Photoshop. I need a lot of computing power to do the statistical analysis on the very large data sets that I work with.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Not a priority. Last game I played was Oblivion. I would maybe install that game on my new computer or get Skyrim if my new computer could handle it.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

Yes. I would need an HDMI port.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

I stare at computer screens constantly and my eyes are fatigued by the end of the day - so if there is a resolution that would be easier on my eyes then that would be my preference.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

It would be nice to be able to use outdoors in the field, but not a high priority.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

I would like a pen for note taking (and maybe photo editing?), but I've never used a digital pen before so I have no preferences.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

Large enough to install all the programs listed above plus more (at least 128 GB I would guess) plus the ability to connect an external hard drive. At least 8 GB RAM but more would be awesome.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

USB, SD, HDMI

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

I would also need be able to attach a keyboard (and possibly two larger monitors) for working while at my desk.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

So does such a machine exist? Or maybe one will sometime soon? My current laptop is about 3 years old and I could probably wait up to a year or more to replace it, but I'm very interested in getting a tablet. I'm especially interested in being able to stop printing the ~250 pages of journal articles each week that I read and take notes on for my research and I think that a tablet would be perfect for this. However, if I'm going to buy a new device it would be nice if it could also run all of the other programs that I work with. Perhaps the tablet PC that I'm looking for does not exist, in which case an alternative would be to get a lower end tablet for note taking/reading and a new laptop for everything else?

Sincere thanks in advance to all who read this and can provide suggestions or recommendations.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

There are a number of convertibles that meet your criteria. The HP 2760p, Fujitsu 901/902 and Thinkpad X230T come to mind immediately. But, with the release of Windows 8 on October 26th, you should have more options to choose from. Hang out and read along for the next few months and you should develop your own preference.

3. ditzer252

ditzer252 Pen Pal - Newbie

Bronsky:

Thanks, I took a look at the three you mentioned. They all seem like they may work for me. Fortunately I'm no hurry to buy. I'll be interested to see what new options come with the release of Windows 8. By the way... do you know where I could go to actually test out the tablets you mentioned? I've never seen a convertible in a store, but I sure would like to get a feel for one before purchasing.