Can a Notebook 9 Pro work as a tablet on a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by overground55, Oct 12, 2018.

1. overground55

overground55 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,
    I am a digital illustrator, and I recently purchased a Samsung Notebook 9 Pro for its 2-in-1 capabilities that are useful for an artist. With it, I can illustrate on the screen directly, which I haven't been able to do up to this point. For the past decade I've been using a 2009 Macbook Pro with an Intuos4 Tablet, so this is a big change for me going from macOS to Windows. I've discovered that there are critical things that are easier to do on a Mac than on Windows, such as panning through Adobe software like Photoshop with a touchpad, which is important for me as an artist. I rely on the Adobe Suite for my work, and my research hasn't revealed any solution to some of the problems I've faced, as well as having to adjust myself to an entirely different OS.
    I'm now trying to determine whether to return my newly purchased Notebook and get another Apple product. What I want to know is whether I can use the Notebook as though it were a Wacom Cintiq by hooking it up to my Macbook Pro and illustrating on the Notebook Pro so that the work I do translates over to the Mac screen. The Notebook has the same EMR technology that Wacom technology has, so instead of buying a Cintiq, I thought using my Notebook would be suitable. This way I also have a backup computer in case my Mac dies.
    I also hope that I would be able to use some of the Mac features such as it's touchpad and various hotkeys that are absent on WIndows, while I could do my illustrative work on the Notebook in tablet mode.

• will these two computers work harmoniously with each other in the way I am suggesting, and if so, what do I need to make this happen?
    • Can anyone tell me what limitations I will encounter in doing this that I wouldn't if I simply purchased a Cintiq for my Macbook Pro?
    • What advantages or disadvantages do you imagine I'll face in what I am trying to do?

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Afaik you can't use the N9P as a Cintiq like device, the best you could achieve would be screen casting. Imho it would be worth your while learning a little bit about Windows before returning the machine, assuming you like the form factor and potential the N9P offers as a creative tool.

Windows is far more configurable than iOS so you should be able to get it to function acceptably in most cases.

I'm completely bias with respect to any alternative OS's v iOS or anything Apple come to that, so you should probably wait for some alternative opinions or suggestions.

You could try setting up the advanced gestures for the touchpad to see if you can solve your navigation issue with adobe. If you scroll to the bottom of the functions list there is an option for custom commands.

See Settings > Devices > Touchpad - look in the right hand column 'Advanced gesture configuration' or from the start button type 'touch' or 'gesture'.

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Adobe lost my respect after hitting a peek of stability and usability back with the old CS line. -But that was before I was using screens with a finger touch interface. So far, their implementation of touch features has been more annoying than useful. They should look at what the Clip Studio Paint guys are doing and take notes!

Anyway... It was brave of you to try out a new OS for the sake of learning new tools, but if it has been a few weeks and you aren't finding your groove, maybe you should cut bait and just get a Cintiq and a Mac. Why mess with success? Those Cintiq Pro 24's look awesome, and getting your money back on the Samsung would take the edge off a Wacom purchase.

Though if you do feel like sticking it out a while longer, I recommend trying Clip Studio Paint on your N9P (it's dreamy to draw in!) and find other ways to sort files. Windows 10 has been a long haul for me, but after a year of using it, I am finally finding that I have become quite comfortable with it.

artistebot and WillAdams like this.
  4. overground55

I appreciate the response. What made you decide to make the switch? It sounds like you were a mac guy up until about a year ago. Do you work with any of the Adobe software at this point? For me, It's not just about illustration, but it's also page layout, and logo design, and web design that I rely on as well, and Adobe has all these things packaged nicely into their software line. In a way, I'm somewhat dependent upon them because of all the needs they meet, but all their software seems to operate more smoothly on a Mac than on Windows.

artistebot likes this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

I've always been a Windows guy, but Windows 7 was my favorite implementation; it was super solid, extremely powerful and easy to use. I was actually quite proud to be a Windows guy while it was on all my computers because it really felt like the Windows OS had "Arrived" after all these years at a peek of computer evolution. It felt like an achievement.

I resisted for years, but finally switched to Win 10 because my old tablet PC died and both my new N9P and Dell Canvas, both with excellent touch screens, were designed around Windows 10, and Windows 7 has a simply lousy touch interface. I really didn't like Win 10; it's the most Big Brother OS I've ever used, and spent months struggling to turn off all the data sniffing and remote control and randomly appearing "Trash Your System" updates you couldn't choose against. But after much hacking and fussing, I got it under control and now I find it works quite nicely, and its touch interface is excellent, (so long as the software you're using was written well).

I also find myself using Adobe products a lot as a critical part of my work flow, but I get by on the old InDesign rather than rent the new one; as I'm sure you're aware, beyond just using Photoshop CC for $10 a month, things get pricey when you start adding other Adobe products to the list. -And I only use InDesign rarely when doing book layouts and Illustrator not at all. 95% of my time I spend drawing, which can be done effectively with Clip Studio Paint (CSP) with Photoshop for certain critical phases. CSP has an amazing brush engine; it's more smooth and fun to draw in than with real pencils and inks on paper!

And I absolutely love the portable aspect; I do easily half my work away from my desk, and the N9P is great for that. I even made a little collapsible wooden bracket thing to turn it into a mini-drafting board for sitting at tables and such.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    artistebot likes this.
  6. overground55

Hey that sounds really cool, would you be willing to show off a picture or two of that wooden bracket tool you use? I love that sort of stuff, and it inspires me to get creative in finding new ways use my computer.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2018
  7. thatcomicsguy

I have these old pics of my setup. (I don't have all my gear with me right now, so can't share better pics. Sorry.)

N9P-at-work2.jpg

N9P-at-work3.jpg

artistebot and WillAdams like this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

We sure are a desperate lot, aren't we - talk about suffering for your art @thatcomicsguy

artistebot and thatcomicsguy like this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

If this is suffering, then I can't imagine what joy is like!

artistebot likes this.
  10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You might want to consider getting an Axiotron Modbook Pro.

Alternately, a Mac Mini and Cintiq is the best thing going for Mac OS X and tablet work.

It's unfortunate than an iPad Pro, Apple Pencil, and Astropad apparently lag when connected to a Mac.

artistebot likes this.