Calligraphers, hand writers , mathematicians your ideal pen & tablet characteristics?

Discussion in 'Professions' started by siddhartth, Oct 4, 2016.

1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

It's the rule of kinesiology that-
    • Range of movement across multiple dimensions
    And
    • stability and accuracy
    Never go hand in hand.

Pen is best for certain kinds of movements and mouse is best for others. Both can not replace each other.

And it's just not me the industry leader of styluses, Wacom too believes that. And so do so many architects and engineers who for whom Wacom makes this portable battery less mouse like device.
    [​IMG]
    https://us-store.wacom.com/Product/lens-cursor-s01
    And it's designed in a way that it can be used with portable tablets. So portability doesn't have to mean unsatisfactory or unhealthy forced compromises. TrackPoint though more accurate than touch pad is still not very healthy for fingers and as accurate as mouse.
    Like how pen which was a not a standard feature on most tablets became standard the same way I hope this thing comes to mainstream.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...s_Cursor_for_Intuos4.html?_escaped_fragment_=

I think an ideal machine would come with a foldable keyboard that unravels into a full keyboard it will have a giant trackpad for gestures in the middle which will also be compatible with such a cursor device. And will come with a pen and detachable display so that one can use it as a tablet when drawing or taking notes

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

| mentioned using a tracing puck on my Wacom ArtZ

I've never had a mouse attached to my Toshiba -- no need for it.

3. siddhartth

I didn't know tracksticks were that good.
    I just want to know about any pointing method that gets my cursor exactly between two letters as easily as precisely as mouse. Without causing much injury on heavy use.

I have one more curiosity, there are some apps that can make make touch screens of Mobilephones behave as touch pads for other . What I am thinking is what if we can make the whole touch screen of a pen tablet behave as it's own trackpad? A 12.3 inch giant trackpad for Sp4. Gestures work the same way on track pads and touch screens so we are not going to loose that functionality for sure. Touch act as a trackpad and pen also keeps mouse functionality. And a TrackPoint is added in keyboard dock. I guess that will be ideal portable primary device solution.
    http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/17794-using-touchscreen-touchpad.html

Companies shouldn't skimp on input solutions in portable computing, because for some people that's their only workhorse.

EDIT: I found this Japanese software

Touchmousepointer

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  4. WillAdams

Unfortunately, I haven't used a TrackPoint in years. I'm serious, on a system w/ an active digitizer, I don't bother w/ a mouse --- not necessary.

A Wacom tablet will function as you describe when using relative tracking --- it's an ignoble and useless mode.

FWIW, Yeah, I've oft' opined that Apple laptops should have removable trackpads which can be replaced by a docked iPod Touch or iPhone.

5. siddhartth

Here, you sound totally at ease with the pen as mouse. But in a previous post you did mention some challenges you faced with pen while doing basic mouse functions.

So, i would now assume, that your problem is AES, NTrig limited and doesn'textend to EMR. Right?

6. WillAdams

Not understanding the mouse comment. Relevant quote?

The problem is AES doesn't work as well as EMR. Likely a driver issue, plus low hover distance as described previously.

EDIT: Seems to've been low hover distance --- swapped the radial menu and right-click buttons and it's sort of working. Thank you for the impetus.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    siddhartth likes this.