Cad/Engineering and the C204

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by jadam, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jadam

jadam Pen Pal - Newbie

So I just purchased a c204 2 days ago(waiting for it to ship :/), mostly with the intention of using it at school. Im switching majors to Mechanical Engineering atm so im a bit clueless as to what the most popular software Mech E students use.

I was wondering though, how well does this tablet hold up for that kind of work? Seems very powerful to me, which was one of the main reasons I purchased it. Also the sliding mechanism allows you to write on the screen while using the keyboard.

Any comments on this laptop for engineering? Anyone actually use it for that?

Thanks.

2. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

I think it would be useful to have a tablet for Structural or Civil Engineering - maybe - but I don't know. I'm not sure how precise it would be for such tasks. I mainly use it for handwriting.

3. BrianFL426

BrianFL426 Pen Pal - Newbie

i think it would be cool, but i know autoCAD is keyboard shortcut intensive
    (you press esc a lot) so i know im going to get a wireless keyboard to go with. and i know autodesk supports pen imput but it hasnt been perfectly implemented yet. otherwise i have no firsthand experience.

4. jadam

jadam Pen Pal - Newbie

Yah ive used autocad before, it is very keyboard intensive, you use the command line a lot with it. Although I have a feeling uatocad isn't the primary tool for mechanical engineers. Either way I liked that it is easy to write on the c204 while the keyboard is also usable due to its solid backing. :D We'll see how it works out, 2 more days till I get my tablet!

5. asketchr

asketchr Pen Pal - Newbie

not too sure about the specs of the c204, i think mech engineers use pro-engineer or maybe solidworks both of which are pretty heavy apps.

6. jadam

jadam Pen Pal - Newbie

Yah those were the two apps that I thought I would be using.

The c204 is 2ghz Pentium M with 1gb RAM and Geforce 6200 go. Should be good enough for those apps :D

7. cobrajoker

cobrajoker Pen Pal - Newbie

you might do ok for skeleton diagrams for CAD but if you get into graphical work you may want to consider duel core, 2 gig ram and as much video as posible

8. butanamine

butanamine Pen Pal - Newbie

Nah, you'll definitely be set with what you've got. Dual core would be nice if you're doing finite element analysis (FEA) and other cpu intensive tasks such as MATLAB/MATHCAD because it means you can still use the computer while your waiting for calculations, but seriously, it's no big deal. Besides, FEA probably isn't compulsory, and if it is, you won't be doing it for a few years any way.

Regarding CAD programs, they're all pretty much the same. (Except AutoCAD which is actually a 2D environment, so the graphics card won't make much difference here), but you'll definitely be doing some 3D work. Trust me, your graphics card will be 100% alright. I have a 128MB GeForce FX 5200 here and it runs everything fine.

Good choice I say. PS I'm still running on a desktop and haven't used a tablet yet, but I know eng. software.

... of course, having said that, better is always better, but you're talking about minor frustrations which are generally not worth the cost.

9. jadam

jadam Pen Pal - Newbie

Hehe good to hear =)

Yes I probablly won't be doing any FEA till next year. And when I have to do that, ill just use my dual core athlon 64 system. Dual core would be nice for multitasking though, but Ill live with a single 2ghz processor.

And yes I will be doing a LOT of 3d work this upcoming year, im sure my graphics card can handle it, I have been running Solidworks on it and it runs smooth as butter.

Think I made a good choice for school =]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.