C940-14iiL

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by kurt corbin, Nov 21, 2019.

1. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Wacom AES (pen + charging silo)
    Utility to vary CPU voltage up to 25W from default 15W.

1080p 400-nit glossy (LG LP140WF9-SPE2) pwm = 0 (notebookcheck)
    Lenovo uses 1080p displays from multiple suppliers, so beware.

3840p 500-nit glossy HDR (supplier?) pwm = ?
    The 3840p 500-nit glossy HDR in the S940 is the AUO B140ZAN01.3, and it also has pwm = 0. After browsing through the list of Lenovo displays laptopmedia.com has made, I think that's the only 3840p 14" display Lenovo uses. Note, however, that laptopmedia measured it at 445 nits, while notebookcheck measured it at 536.

Update: PWM is determined not by the display's panel, but by its controller, so to select a display without PWM, it's not enough to determine the part number of the panel.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

3. kurt corbin

My conversation with Lenovo:

Andersson Steve M.: Hello, thanks for contacting Lenovo Sales. My name is Andersson Steve M. (Rep ID: 2900729623). At the conclusion of this chat, there will be a brief, two-question survey, scoring from 1-10 where 10 is the best. Please be sure to ask about our flexible payment options!

Me:
    I need c940 14" info.

Andersson Steve M.:
    Welcome to Sales Chat Department. How can I assist you with your purchase today?

Me:
    There are 5 displays available?

Andersson Steve M.:
    Yes

Me:
    Do any use pwm?

Andersson Steve M.:
    all of them

Me:
    Notebookcheck says the 1080p glossy does not.

Andersson Steve M.:
    Well, that is the information I have about displays

Me:
    I'm not even sure what it means. What does pwm mean?

Andersson Steve M.:
    Pulse-width modulation

Me:
    Is that good or bad?

Andersson Steve M.:
    That is good because it improve the resolution and avoid you headache

Me: Have a nice day!

Note the level of English: ...it improve the resolution and avoid you headache!
    Also note that at the time of this conversation there were actually only 4 display options listed on Lenovo's website: 1080p and 3840p, with or without anti-glare. A couple of days later, that was changed to indicate that there are only 2 display options. The anti-glare options were removed.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Marty likes this.
  4. kurt corbin

compared to Spectre:

lovelaptops likes this.
  5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

@kurt corbin Thanks for posting this (review). It is exactly the comparison that I, and many of us I think, are eager to see. Can't help but observing, though, the narrator is incredibly annoying to listen to! It took him 33 minutes to cover content he could have covered in 5 minutes, and he just drones on and on! (I hope he's not a friend or relative - if so, no offense, just critique!)

I'm left perhaps more torn than before! Assuming the benchmarks are accurate - and it seems weird, given the 25W vs 15W cpu; perhaps he used the wrong benchmarks to demonstrate differences - it does come down, apparently, to a few relatively minor details. The screen is the main differentiator, but I am not as big a fan of OLED as others, however we've come to know, as mentioned above, you can't trust which screen you'll get with a Lenovo, so all bets are off until you open the box. Otherwise, it was surprising that you pay no weight penalty for the larger screen, though the compact form of the HP is very desirable. It's been a long time - if ever - that I've seen two products that compete so well, and both of which have only very minor weaknesses. Thus, you can't go wrong with either.

I think the last variable, which is so hard to measure but which would drive my decision if I felt I could get reliable data about, is customer support. Throwing in the Dell XPS 2 in 1, I truly mistrust all three companies' consumer customer support (and for Lenovo, even business class support these days, from what I've read, not experienced) such that I'm inclined to call it a toss-up there too. Anyone have any strong feelings about differences in support between the three?[/QUOTE]

6. kurt corbin

OK, here's more, but I don't understand why he doesn't discuss the Lenovo's performance mode in terms of its adjustable voltage:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  7. kurt corbin

Annotation 2019-11-28 200358.jpg Looks like the power button does not protrude, and it's the only thing on that side. Perfect. I will be able to set it up in portrait mode and have all the ports accessible on the other side.

Attached Files:

8. kurt corbin

None of these idiots say whether they have the 14" or 15," but here are their complaints:

jitter

fan

bleed

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    lovelaptops likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

First, Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Nice work @kurt corbin! That fan problem would be a total deal breaker, but it sounds like one that could easily be remedied by software/driver updates. This is, at best, a wait-and-see situation. Regardless, reading those many, many posts one is reminded how bad Lenovo support is. This is one key problem for all laptop mfrs except MS and Apple; if only their products weren't so far off the mark and expensive.

Most important, we privileged TPCR devotees have reports of *2* highly discerning and demanding owners - @dstrauss and @desertlap - who can vouch for the competing HP Spectre x360 13 as an essentially flawless device in terms of operating reliability and consistency. I can't remember a time when a new, important product had such reliable and favorable reports - these two are worth more than dozens of strangers' - providing tremendous confidence to purchase this HP device. This, on top of the clearly superb design and specs of the newest Spectre x360 13, makes it the no-brainer choice for anyone looking for this class of device. I'm only waiting for a first sale (maybe run up to Xmas, maybe post-Xmas) to make this certain purchase!

Thanks @kurt corbin, @dstrauss and @desertlap - and even HP! Happy holidays.

10. kurt corbin

Point taken, but in my previous post I forgot to mention that those complainers did not say whether they had the 14" or the 15" C940.

I have 2 problems with the HP:

1. Burn in--not if, but when.
    2. Almost certain PWM. If you've ever had a PWM migraine, nothing else matters.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    lovelaptops likes this.