C5 CFT-001 Mini PCI-E Slot for MSata SSD

Discussion in 'Motion Computing' started by HyperEscape, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HyperEscape

HyperEscape Pen Pal - Newbie

So I tore the very crux of my Motion C5 CFT-001 out of curiosity to know what can be upgraded.

Was daunting initally , lots of screws and then lots of tapes inside to be removed to finally see its motherboard guts.

It has a 1.8 inch ZIF Toshiba MK80205GAL 80GB HDD, surprisingly I was told that mine has 2 GB RAM and probably shows it in the OS (Windows 8 32bit) as well. However when i saw it only has a single slot for a RAM chip which had a Hynix DDR2 PC2 6400S 1GB chip inserted in it. Maybe it has the other 1 GB RAM built on board.

So the first option was to get a 1.8 PATA ZIF SSD in a reasonable size, which were quite expensive for the kind of upgrade budget I had. Only was getting a mere 16GB or 32GB SSD in an affordable price, maybe would leave the current HDD as is.

Second was to look at the RAM, and finding a single chip DDR2 4GB RAM. To my surprise all of em are at least or more that 70USD , not what I was expecting especially when DDR3 is way cheaper (yeah I know obsolete tech still in demand tends to get expensive). So instead of 4GB i would settle for 2GB single chip upgrade.

Third, which is my question as well, is that the motherboard has an empty mini PCIE slot as well, besides one mini PCIE which is taken by Intel 4965AGN Wireless card. So my question is this can we use this mPCIE slot for a mini PCIE SSD (maybe 16 - 32 GB range) for having a boot OS drive, and the data can still reside on the 1.8 HDD. Will C5 boot from a Mini PCIE slot SSD. Does it gives an option in the BIOS menu to make a mSATA drive as the primary boot device.

Just asking in advance, to be sure instead of regretting in wasting money to buy a mSATA SSD just to know it does not work.

Again another thing is that Mini PCIE and Msata are confusing used as being synonyms when they are actually separate standards and maybe pin compatible.

Anyways would love any ideas and guidance for my queries.

Thanks.

2. HyperEscape

Really....like around 70 post views and no replies.... i thought this forum was the den of gurus... :)

3. HyperEscape

Confirmed.

The mSATA SSD does not work in the extra miniPCIE slot present on the motherboard. A shop vendor was helpful enough for me to try a couple of em before buying. The windows booted but the mSATA disk was not present in the Disk Management Console.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.