C14ox ok for "light" Mobile use?

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by NeoLibCon, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pedro

pedro Pen Pal - Newbie

to work on the couch, in bed, in the shade under a tree..........or is it more of a desktop machine. How are actual owners using it?
    C140x's specs/$ is very good

2. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

in the car, walking down the hall. jamming to music when folding the clothes.. etc..

works great all over. I use it in the couch, and bed (use protection of course :D) .

3. kripa

kripa 2D animator -intermediate

I mostly use it while sitting in bed, though I always have it on a lap desk (one of those wood boards with a bean-bag thing attached) to facilitate air flow. Just last night, I took it to a figure drawing class and used it rather successfully in tablet mode while sitting on one of those artist's benches that has a vertical board on one end for resting a drawing board against.

I've only used the c140x with only my arms supporting it a few times, and very briefly. As I've whined about on other threads repeatedly, it really is a beast; all those awesome specs apparently weigh a ton. That being said, I strongly feel this is the perfect notebook, and only tablet I know of that can truly be called a hybrid desktop replacement and mobile computer. It's the best of both worlds!

4. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

Kripa... Its called a horse

5. kripa

Thank you Spartikiss, I thought that was it but wasn't sure:eek:

One addition to my last post: I just walked a few blocks to my local non-starbuck's coffee shop (where I'm typing this) and by the time I got here my shoulder felt like it was going to fall off from the weight of my messenger bag. Keep in mind I had nothing in the bag but my C140x and the power adapter. Still, this fantastic notebook is worth a little discomfort!

6. nikecar

you must be 4'11" and 89lbs.

I've walked about the same distance with my citygear bag loaded with client files, and the files are more than the laptop. I've said it before that IMO, it feels lighter than what it really is. I've held Dell laptops that are "lighter" but I dread carrying those. i'd rather carrying the "on paper heavier" Gateway.

7. kripa

No, I am 5'11" and 180lbs, guess I'm just out of shape.:rolleyes: It probably doesn't help that I'm using a beat up old Targus bag with insufficient padding on the shoulder strap. (I haven't bought a better case because I'd rather would-be-thieves think I'm caring around a crappy old laptop instead of this uber tablet.)

8. cnahm

cnahm Pen Pal - Newbie

Heh, I hear ya. A good bag helps! I should know, I work for the company that has the license to do Victorinox bags/travel gear. I've traveled all over Asia and Europe for work, going to factories and market shopping, with a Toshiba Tecra M4 which actually weighs a tenth or so of a pound MORE. With a good laptop backpack slung over both shoulders it was no problem, trekking through all the airports, and walking all around Europe.

Just get more in shape more, & get a better bag, and you won't notice it.
    Cheers, Chris.

9. nikecar

a good bag, or a good strap makes the difference....

10. NeoLibCon

NeoLibCon Scribbler - Standard Member

This thing's way too heavy to carry around in tablet mode in one arm, cradling it to use the stylus. Otherwise, it is way better on the lap than a regular laptop, in tablet mode. If you are in a chair with an armrest, cradling it is great. You can lay on the couch and use it on your belly/chest in tablet mode. It keeps you from being tied to a desk or table to compute, and can be more powerful than most people's desktop.

A mobile computer, as in: comfy to stylus with while walking for significant periods, it is not.