C1 refresh?

Discussion in 'LG' started by slugnut, Jan 13, 2008.

1. slugnut

slugnut Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wondering if anyone has heard of a possible refresh or successor to the C1? It's size and power are very appealing and I'm hoping that LG will continue the line.

2. Unlogic

Unlogic Scribbler - Standard Member

3. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can't seem to find that anywhere other than that site... any ideas if this thing is available outside of sweden (apparently, from what I can tell from that site).

4. aksez2dj

aksez2dj Kwan

5. quantum

I got to play with a one-off import P100 from the Turkish distributor today...

I.

WANT.

The battery life is pretty bad compared to the Fujitsu P1620 at 4 hours with the 6 cell (largest) battery, but the performance is amazing... The touchscreen is responsive enough to use with a fingertip as opposed to trying to scratch away with a nail (a-la tx1000), the form factor is fantastic and the screen is one of the best I've seen on a tablet. Yes there is grain which is interestingly more visible at angles, but the brightness is great (I dare say you could use it in a car at 70% brightness). It's also very light, around 2.7 pounds with the 6 cell.

I hated the stylus though, it's one of those telescoping metal ones and it feels very much like an afterthought. I do like the placement though, and if you can find another stylus that would fit into the hole, then you'd be all set I guess. That being said, my guess is with a machine like this, you'd want to use a quality stylus like the Lamy 3-in-1. The touchscreen is quite light, so you don't really need to apply forcible pressure to register.

Being in the company of other businesspeople, I couldn't really fire up a game, as I only got about 20-25 minutes with the machine but it ran Vista Aero with all the eye candy flawlessly, and a quick run of some Winamp visualizations (R4 and MilkDrop mainly) proved fluent at around 40fps lowest with the native resolution. I'd say you could run Half Life 2 with low details for about an hour without running out of juice.

Wish I could tell you more, but alas the machine isn't available for purchase here, and probably won't be until they sell all the C1s left here and there.

6. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

Good to hear some feedback on this unit.

I've been waiting for just over a month now, was meant to be released in Aus last month, new release date is allegedly tomorrow (fingers crossed)

Whilst too big to be considered an umpc its only 300g heavier than the P1620 with standard battery and 10.6" real estate is a bit nicer. Not to mention nice dual core and upto 4G ram with a dedicated video card and in what has to be some of the nicest casing available on a tablet or notebook. Shame about it not having a pcslot. I hope it arrives tomorrow or im going to have to turn my attention to an M700 or an old C1.

7. quantum

I really don't understand the marketing strategy behind trying to push the very last C1 left in stock before releasing the refresh, which has been around since when now? Wasn't it at CES last year?

All it's missing is a better battery and an active digitizer...

8. Osiris

Well it 'seems' they are in stock at long last!

Yeah LGs strategy with alot of stuff surprises me, there was alot of buzz around these devices but they had such a limited release and so difficult to get - puts people off. Even looking for reviews of the unit you can see it was quite limited.

I am somewhat disappointed though, if this unit was delayed again I was going to get a HP 2710p but oh well. Good specs, lovely design, and hopefully the size is just right. I had a 7" Kohjinsha (Vye S37) and I actually enjoyed the touch screen on that device but it was just a tad too small, hopefully the extra 3.6" make a difference.

9. quantum

Eerily enough, I feel as if the extra inch over a Fujitsu P1620 makes a difference. The machine definitely feels larger though, as it also has a bezel around the screen, which closes over a full size keyboard. That being said, imagine a machine with a full size keyboard but no bezel space around the keyboard area. By not wasting any space and adding a bezel and making the machine larger than it needs to be, they've kept it light, small, but fully functional. You can fit a full page of readable office documents on the screen if that's what you're wondering.

10. Osiris

Well it seems once again I spoke too soon. Whilst the day is young it appears its been delayed....again.

LG has done their dash, whilst my LCD Tv, home theartre system and current notebook and microwave are all LG I just cant stand for these constant delays. 2710p here I come.