C-140X S Video output

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by kidkadian, Sep 19, 2007.

1. kidkadian

kidkadian DJ / VJ / Performer

hey can any one confim that they where able to use a passive adapter to convert the VGA output to S-Video Output? i have order my C-140X on 8/27 with a ETA of 9/27 no delays so far ( fingers crossed ) however if this doesn't work i will have to return the unit. Long story short i need this comp for visual work which requres me to have output from my tablet pc to s-video. a scan convert kill quality and too bulkly for my portable use.

so can any one confim if a passvie converter ( i.e. adapter here is the one i am looking at ) will work?

FYI. ati does offer a VGA to HDTV Adapter but as the site says it isn't designed to work with the c-140x's X2300 HD card.

any input would be great!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

I know just a regular VGA cable into an external monitor works great...

I really dont see how it couldnt work, unless its not a normal vga cable or something... I honestly dont think its something you should worry about.

I could be wrong, but I really dont see why it wouldnt work.

3. kidkadian

there are a lot of reasons they wouldn't work! that kind of conversion ( vga to s-video normally takes a scan converter ( i.e. active dsp on the video signal) beyond that the way a vga cable works as a serial connection ( must be plugged in before boot to work) is different from how a s-video cable works ( hot swappable ). Lastly there is no first part product that exists to do vga to s-video form ati, honestly it is either this cheap ass adapter or scan converter, not to mention if there is a quality issues or if you can only clone the desktop.

i know there was a post about this earlyer where some one suggest that same ebay product but no one ever confirmed if it did work or if there was issues. moreover i have to worry, i need a tablet solution for my work that can output to s-video the only tablet that does that natively is the hp tc4400 but with the GMA950 video card it is no where near powerful enough to do what i need.

any feedback would be great, i just don't want to get my c-140x and have it not work with this adapter then have to wait for a refund so i can get a tc4400.

Thanks

4. mludwig

mludwig Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems that there is a lot of mis-information regarding this subject. First of all, VGA cable is by no means serial, because it is an analog signal, and serial-parallel classification doesn't make sense. Also, it isn't bidirectional, no data loss will occur if you hot-plug it. A properly designed circuit should also resist the overvoltages of a hot-plug.

VGA and S-Video are both analog video signals, but employ quite different color encoding standards, making VGA far more superior.
    Back in the TV world, video was encoded by luminance signals (black-and-white) and later the 2 chrominance (color) signals were added. Furthermore the TV video frames are sent interlaced, half a frame at a time. This standard is employed by the S-Video connector, using one pin for the luminance and one pin for the combined color signals.
    A new standard emerged for computer monitors where interlacing was not an option. This is RGB, where signals are encoded in three color components (red green and blue) and whole frames are sent one at a time. VGA uses this standard and is far more superior in quality.
    VGA to S-Video conversion requires scan conversion (I see no other way to interlace the signal), color conversion (RGB to Y/C) and other things to make the resulting signal NTSC/PAL/SECAM compatible. A quality converter should produce quality S-Video signals from VGA, but the "quality" of S-Video is questionable. The conversion is effectively down-conversion, so quality loss is inevitable.
    The adapter kidkadian mentions isn't a converter per se.
    This means that the video card should do the conversion and use some of the VGA pins to deliver S-Video signals. You have to confirm with ATI that it is capable of doing that.

BTW, Asus R1F too has S-Video and you might find Port Replicators that also have it.

5. kidkadian

thanks for the semi helpful response i knew all that about the vga/svideo stuff. however ( i should of mention this ) ATI can not confirm that their video card will do this ( 2 hours on ati's long distacne tech support thank you very much ATI for being utter boobs ) which is why i am posting here . moreover when i tried called gateway 3 times about this, 2 out of the three tech support people just discovered that they where selling the c-140x. the other (after a half hour of me walking them thru their website to find the c-140x) said i would have to call ati and ask them ( mind you this was after the 2 hour phone call to ati which resulted in me having to call gateway to find out this info.

Oh yea the gateway people where split if it was possible half of them said no ( funny enough the ones who didn't know the c-140 x existed ) and the third said maybe but prolly not. ( completely helpless )

as for the port replicators the only one that offer a s-video output is a tegaruse one which is usb and unfortunately the way i plan on using the tablet will have all the usb ports used and in the sake of keeping this portable no i do not want ot attached another usb hub. the gateway port replicator doesn't not offer s-video out.

so again i ask can any one confirm if it works or not .. i don't need to technical breakdown of what ifs or how the technology should or should not work. just a simple yes or no with some details of its functionality .

one way one could find out is if under the multi-monitor settingsif you can choose a tv formate instead of a monitor signal. on my old compaq laptop ( which has a ati radion card in it ) has it under under display properties > settings >advance > then the ati tab called displays. on that window there should be 3 options LCD, External monitor and TV output. if this card has the TV option then i should work ( from what i have read ) if not it will not work.

so if no one can confirm that it is working can some one confirm if that setting is open ? i need to know if this will work or not otherwise i will have t return this laptop.

also the Asus R1F is way to underpowered for me i need 4gb of ram and at least a 2.0 ghz machine. Discreet gaphics is a major plus and the reasion i went with the gateway but not as needed as the s-video. I do a lot of video work which can be done a IGP like the GMA 950 or X3100 but i would also like to do some 3d stuff on the go but that isn't 100% needed as i do have other laptops with discreet graphics. ( besides i can get a Hp tc4400 for like 1,000 refurb with top specs ) and i have had never had a problem with hp refurb ( hell i have had better luck with refub hardware then new hardware )

so thanks for any input would be great !

6. playersnoopy

playersnoopy Pen Pal - Newbie

Whatever you're asking for can't be tested unless someone has a S-Video out device hooked up to their laptops.

Newer laptops don't come equipped with S-Video or for the most part at least. The ATI display settings can only display settings for hardware that is hooked up to it, since that "settings" window is only software and can only configure what hardware it is hooked up to it. So I'm not sure how you want to convert the VGA signal to S-Video straight from the computer without attaching a converter whether it be USB or not.

7. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

its not like its super expensive... try it and if nothing pops up on your tv, then i guess it doesnt work!

8. dgh725

dgh725 Ah! I've found it!

For those trying to figure all of this out, here is some more information. This is available on the Gateway Support web site.

Display Interface: 1-CH LVDS
    TV-Out: No
    Brightness Control: PWM, 8-Levels

9. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

That simply means that the notebook doesn't have a port for TV-Out. The graphics card could still support outputting an S-Video format through the VGA port, provided you have the correct adapter, which brings us back to the original question: has anyone successfully attempted this?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  10. gutierrez

gutierrez waiting for a fixed fan

Well, I've been trying to, but ATI has been out of their branded VGA to Composite HDTV adapter for a while. I have been told a VGA to DVI adpater plus their DVI to Composite HDTV adpater is a fine standin, so I'm ordering that to see. I'll report on the results once I have that in and my laptop back.