C-140x Pressure Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Tarantula, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarantula

Tarantula Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi long time lurker, but I need a question answered and definitively as possible before I pony up and buy the 140. How many pressure levels are there on the 140? I searched the forums and found that there are 256 but some posts made me think that it could be 512 with the wacom driver.
    Or if someone wanted to run this program that is supposed to tell you many levels of sensitivity the tablet has and tell me what the results are I would be forever in your debt.:)
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/CraigPringleGetsAllPressureSensitive.aspx

I will be using this tablet for art and school so having 512 would be wonderful, but I don't know if it will make that much difference or be worth it to wait for a 512 equipped tablet. So any opinions on this matter would be appreciated.:) All my digital art is currently done with an intous 3.
    Thanks in advance.

2. DrNick664

DrNick664 Scribbler - Standard Member

at this point it has 256 but some believe that it has the hardware for 512 and thus can be upgraded via a update.

3. DRR

DRR Pen Pal - Newbie

I ran the program, but I do not know how to determine the levels of sensitivity. I took this screen image with the cursor in the lower right hand corner with max pressure. It sure seemed like there was more than 256 levels of sensitivity. It was very hard to control the pressure to see how few pixels I could get the circle to jump at a time as it grew as I applied more pressure. It sured seemed like the growth granularity was a single pixel. FYI, the program window was maximized and I did install the WACOM drivers.

Do you know how to interpret the program?

EDIT: After playing with it a little more and trying to hold a very steady pressure it appears that the radius of the circle changes at a minumum of three pixels. By my rough calucaltions 3/4ths of 1024 divided by 3 would make it 256 levels. Sorry.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Meltdown

Meltdown Me

Hey tarantula

Its my opinion that the difference between the two is very minimal. In my expierence most artists dont even notice when they are using one or the other. Thats not to say there isnt a difference, I just think the chances of this affecting your art is quite minimal. I have a c140x and am using it for art and I'm quite happy with it (Im happy in the pressure sensitivity sense, I have a whole thread complaining about calibration :) ).

That said, of course, it would be ideal to try one for yourself. Nothing worse than dropping 2 grand on something that wont suit your purposes.

5. Tarantula

Tarantula Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for all the responses! I guess that I am more worried about the issues with calibration in photoshop and other programs now. I guess that I will just have to wait and see if it gets resolved in a new wacom driver.
    Thanks again!

6. salaryman

salaryman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

I've been loaned a Motion LE1700 as I needed to test this for myself.

So far I do notice the difference, I spend 10hrs a day in Photoshop so I guess I'm geared to notice any slight nuances.

Sketchbook Pro works like a dream though, I've set up a few brushes to match as closely my PS one, and the pressure is all there (or at least it feels that way).

I've read recently that using a Cintiq pen on a table works, and may increase the sensitivity, anyone know about this?

I love the machine but I'm not sure I can live with the sensitivity issue...

Any help much appreciated (and get Skeychbook Pro Tarantula!)

7. waplespunk

waplespunk Scribbler - Standard Member

Tarantula, and anyone new to this thread, if you didn't know, the Photoshop calibration issue has been taken care of. Read here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. DRR

DRR Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone else had problems with the pressure sensitivity going from 0 to max too quickly?

I am having extreme trouble controlling the pressure sensitivity. It seems to either be off or max. Yet if I do a fast light glancing stroke on the screen I can see the line taper as it ramps up to full pressure. I'm not sure I'm describing the problem in a way that makes sense. I have installed the WACOM driver.

9. phantom4099

phantom4099 Pen Pal - Newbie

It may work better with a different pen, Its weird to see the circle grow by pressing the pen tip into my finger near the Screen... Does the pen play an important role in the amount of pressure sensitivity?

DRR, did you update the wacom driver?

Wyatt W.