C-140X Overheating

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Spartikiss, Sep 6, 2009.

?

Does the C-140X Overheat?

1. Yes, only under intensive apps

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Yes, both intensive and non-intensive apps

33 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. No, not under intensive or non-intensive apps

26 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. No, although I haven't used any intensive apps.

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mludwig

mludwig Pen Pal - Newbie

Come on people! I know you all waited weeks to get your Gateway, but you can't possibly expect this issue to fix itself, or die away. Call Gateway, send an SOS, raise hell and let them now that you want this fixed and you want it now! Even, if it means sending it back. This isn't an annoyance, it is a design fault that shortens the life of your tablet and poses a safety hazard. Imagine what could happen in case it fails to shut down... catch on fire maybe?

2. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

How are you getting it to detect your fans?

I've installed the program but it only detects the CPU temps, nothing more...

I'm not having problems, but really this things runs SO quiet I can never tell if the fans are working or not just by listening, I usually have to put my hand up against it and stuff...

Anyway, sorry for your guys' problems with these computers, they really are worth the effort. Hope you guys get it all worked out!

-Spart

3. Junetastic

Junetastic Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't had a problem since then. To be honest, I think the reason why it overheated was I was blocking the vent. I had it in tablet mode with the battery on the right side.

4. gutierrez

gutierrez waiting for a fixed fan

It doesn't detect the fans, if it did, you could set their speed or put them on auto and this problem wouldn't be one anymore. The say I've been doing it is just putting it in the tray and setting an event that tells me when it gets to above 65c. That way I have a good indicator the fans aren't working. You can also download TweakVI and make an event to automatically sleep/hibernate the computer if it gets that hot. But mine is on it's way back to Gateway. I've seen the fans shut off enough with no port blockages to know I have a big problem.

5. Erock1982

Erock1982 Logistics Genius

HAY... I have an idea... In the waiting room thread there was some talk a while back about faulty ATI cards... Now I dont mean to draw conclusions but it seems to me that everyone posting here is equipped with that card specifically. From those of you with business models and those with home use models. Summarily those of you with this problem who posted order date and arrival times in sig lines seem to have had theirs built and shipped around the same time.

In the waiting room post which I will not reference because I dont remember what page its on - a reason of faulty ATI cards was given for delays early on. It is possible that there was a batch shipped that had a problem (whatever problem that might be) that was not "caught". Just a suggestion but there seems to be too many with the same card and same dates and same exact problem here.

6. NetHead

NetHead My PC almost boils water

Interestingly enough I haven't had the problem lately either. Only thing that's changed is I unplugged and replugged the cable for the one that would fail.

7. bpjen

bpjen Pen Pal - Newbie

Nethead
    What did you unplug and replug? is that still working?
    thanks
    bp

8. DrNick664

DrNick664 Scribbler - Standard Member

And also i actually tried the blowing thing... and oddly it works. Just blow into the fan and poof it turns on.

9. NeoLibCon

NeoLibCon Scribbler - Standard Member

He's probably talking about the plug from the fan in the heatsink. Everyone should try unplugging and replugging a couple of times. If the fan goes after you blow through it, then it's getting power. It seems like it's just not given enough to start when hot. It's either that, or the fan is requiring more power to start when hot.

10. Slawek

Slawek My new laptop smoking you

How do warranties work with Gateway? I asked you Neo (in your defective thread) if you saw any stickers in the way when taking it apart. How could they tell if you open it up then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.