C-140X Overheating

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Spartikiss, Sep 6, 2009.

?

Does the C-140X Overheat?

1. Yes, only under intensive apps

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Yes, both intensive and non-intensive apps

33 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. No, not under intensive or non-intensive apps

26 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. No, although I haven't used any intensive apps.

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newsposter

newsposter E295C + a pile of gadgets

I wonder if taking apart the laptop, pulling the CPU cooler, cleaning the old thermal grease off, reapplying some quality stuff like Artic Silver, then carefully reasembling the machine would help out matters.

2. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

I am thinking about getting a Gateway C141x since there is a deal right now at Gateway. Before I do though, I have some questions.

1.) Did this whole overheating deal get resolved yet finally?
    2.) Does it apply to the C141x?
    3.) Will I get it if I have internal graphics?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

3. NetHead

NetHead My PC almost boils water

Here's my input (FWIW):
    1. No. I have not had an overheat in months, but the problem is random and spontaneous. I still run a temperature monitor for safety.
    2. No idea.
    3. There's a person just a couple of posts back that mentions an overheating problem with the internal graphics.

4. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

If I were to buy the Gateway c141x, it would most likely come with the new bios right? This entire thing seems to be a bios issue.

5. Kiel

Kiel Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't heard much rumblings about overheating with the new models. Personally I haven't run into any trouble with overheating.

6. millfloss

millfloss Pen Pal - Newbie

My new unit, purchased last week- just the C-140x (no dedicated graphic card, straight 2 gigs ram and dual 1.73 processor), doesn't seem to overheat yet. I've been runnin Speed Fan and the processor does occasionally, but briefly, jump into the 50's but is mostly stable in the low forties to high 30's when nothing is going on. This with some heavy computational apps like Photoshop or Illustrator. Warm but not near thermal threshold. The fan also kicks in pretty quick when on and is a little loud but not sounding like its gasping for air.

I read an earlier post about using the registry hacked Wacom drivers and possibly causing a jump in heat but haven't noticed it. I am using those drivers and quite honestly NEED TO due to the poor calibration on Adobe's software with the straight Wacom drivers.

I haven't used this machine for a 2 or more hour straight duration yet so this all may change. (This is my outside work and home machine.) This weekend I plan on working with this extensively so if it acts up I will be sure to post.

7. cbeas

cbeas Pen Pal - Newbie

I seem to have solved my overheating problem. I downloaded the bios update from the gateway website several days ago. Since installing the new bios (88.07) I haven't overheated at all. I even let my computer run all night last night to see what would happen & I woke up this morning to a cool 33 degrees celsius according to speedfan. Up until the bios update I was blowing into my fan to restart it several times everyday. My machine came with the 88.03 bios. Anyone else having an overheating problem should try the 88.07 update.

8. comptechltd

comptechltd Personal Confuser User

I realize this is an old thread but I have just started having the overheat problem on my c141XL with the 88.07 BIOS. I have downloaded 'Speedfan' but can't get it to read or control the fans. Have you guys gotten it to work or am I missing something??

Steve

9. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

You need to run it in administrator mode... AND in windows XP compatability mode (assuming you're running Vista)...

-Spart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.