C-140X Overheating

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Spartikiss, Sep 6, 2009.

?

Does the C-140X Overheat?

1. Yes, only under intensive apps

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Yes, both intensive and non-intensive apps

33 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. No, not under intensive or non-intensive apps

26 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. No, although I haven't used any intensive apps.

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbeas

cbeas Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been corresponding with tech support over the past few days & I've included links to this thread twice now...hopefully they'll start reading our posts & start looking into this as a widespread issue.

2. Erock1982

Erock1982 Logistics Genius

Well folks guess what. Just had my first overheat today. Got so hot the thing shut down. Good thing its a weekend and i wasnt in class or something. I was just cleaning around and left it on. I come back and find that it shut off. Wasnt even running a program or anything and when i picked it up it was ungodly hot. Installed speedfan today to monitor. Overall its still staying pretty cool but has jumped up several times and for no apparent reason either. So I guess my question is this: what is the max temp that the cpu will allow before a shutdown? At least for now I can monitor the temp and save critical information before an unfortunate accident. Please let me know if you do.

3. hookiefree

hookiefree Pen Pal - Newbie

Not that I have ANY clue on how to fix it, but out of curiosity, how long had it been running before it overheated?

4. NetHead

NetHead My PC almost boils water

I haven't experienced any overheating since the motherboard and processor was replaced by Gateway. To help you out, though, here is an sample of the temperatures SpeedFan recorded immediately before an abnormal shutdown.

Code:
    Seconds	HD0	Temp1	Core 0	Core 1
    79367	46.0	96.0	78.0	81.0

Note: These are in degrees Celsius.

5. IMNOTDRPHIL

IMNOTDRPHIL Pen Pal - Newbie

The processor will shut down at 95 C and its critical temp is 100 C. Note that it should never reach the critical temp :D

6. kidkadian

kidkadian DJ / VJ / Performer

hey two things just popped into my mind,

one : it seems that most ppl have narrowed down the over heating thing to the log in screen. well i was having some problems with the battery/ power icon not showing after log-in. the only solution BTW is to chage the log in screen form the tradition XP login to the Win NT log-in. has any one tried switching the log-in method? ( btw i have not had a over heat & i have the ati card + t7300 2.0Ghz )

Two : gateway mike, don't try to turn on your machine right after it overrheats, most motherboards will not let you reboot right after an overheat. Some systems will only load the bios then switch off if you try to reboot after a overheat ( it is controlled by a failsafe time period of 30 sec to a minute before you can reboot after a overheat). also there is no use trying to reboot right after your comp overheats, it will most likly just over heat faster than the last time.

On A Side Note :

my first pc laptop had a bad streak of over heating ( 2-3 times a day w/ avg times from cold start to over heating in over 30 mins ) so i know it sucks. but i haven't had any other laptop overheat like that since. lol before that pc laptop i had 2 mac laptops you can imagine how shocked i was when my first pc laptop overheated.

7. kidkadian

kidkadian DJ / VJ / Performer

Hey another thing...

i was re reading this thread, and as far as i can tell most if not all( expect mikey poo ) have 7200 rpm drives and santa rose processors and a gig or more of ram.

however i doubt it really has much to do with the ram ( seeing how notebook ram doesn't normaly get hot enough to warrent a heat sinks ) i am starting to think it really has to do with Hard drives and processors heating up togeather.
    so i got a question who here has a 5400 rpm drive and it over heating ? please also post your processor speed.

also is there any one out there having problems over heating after upgrading their hard drive to 7200 rpm but not with original 5400rpm, or vice vera ( over heating with gateway HD but not after market HD ?

Moreover any one have these problems after upgrading ram ?

i have been holding off of upgrading this machine because of over heating issues. it right now doesn't overheat but i m afraid if i upgrade HD or Ram it will. so any input on this would be great .

8. hookiefree

hookiefree Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a 7200 RPM HD with no overheating. I use mine to record music and have absolutely no problems at all with it. The only thing I did notice is that the fingerprint reader's confirmation window takes longer to pop up since I swapped HDs. Once or twice I've gotten messages saying the driver stopped working.

9. bpjen

bpjen Pen Pal - Newbie

Kid,
    My experience has led me to believe that I had a faulty motherboard- after replacing the board and processor, I have had no problems whatsoever, and I can even tell that the fan is working differently.
    I don't know how much you read from this thread, but it wasn't just that components would get hot, it was that the fan would not kick on when it should have.
    BTW, Gateway support has been outstanding for me.

10. NeoLibCon

NeoLibCon Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, this is all about the fan not coming on. Everytime, everybody, it's the same. When getting hot, you blow through the fan, it comes on and the cpu cools down. The machine is trying to start the hot fan on low, when it needs to start it on high. A driver update or a BIOS flash will fix this, WHEN they publish such a thing, specifically for this problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.