C-140X Overheating

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Spartikiss, Sep 6, 2009.

?

Does the C-140X Overheat?

1. Yes, only under intensive apps

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Yes, both intensive and non-intensive apps

33 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. No, not under intensive or non-intensive apps

26 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. No, although I haven't used any intensive apps.

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mludwig

mludwig Pen Pal - Newbie

"Out-of-control" programs or many background tasks should by no means overheat a tablet. Out-of-control is just an intensive process like any other, but doing nothing useful. From the overheat perspective it has the same effect as a compiler or a game. A properly engineered tablet would be happy to run 10 non-responsive tasks at 100% for 10 years (or until the battery lasts) doing effectively nothing, but at least with good heat management.

2. bpjen

bpjen Pen Pal - Newbie

I had done a complete re-install also, but still have had some over-heating. It has been better the last few days, but I don't trust that the problem has gone away completely. The last thing I did was stop using the fingerprint reader to log-on, and since nethead tried this but still got hot, I figure there is still the possibility of it happening.

Has anyone gotten anymore feedback/action from Gateway on this?

3. Crimson21

Crimson21 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I got my return box tuesday after I reheated 7 times while doing homework, Weird thing is that it hasn't happened since (knock on wood), I'm still going to send it in just in case. After the last heat up though windows said it was a problem with my display driver and asked me to update it, which it did and since then nothing.

4. Slawek

Slawek My new laptop smoking you

Overheating? What overheating? I have installed WACOM Drivers and I have no problem at all. I am still running the Gateway OEM Vista Home premium but have uninstalled the crap software that it comes with, Its probably some of the preloaded software then. I have also disabled most of the startup items via RUN > Msconfig > Startup. Good luck all.

5. NetHead

NetHead My PC almost boils water

I still have the malfunctioning fans problem with the fingerprint reader off. HOWEVER, it seems the problem doesn't occur as often.

6. n0tdan

n0tdan Scribbler - Standard Member

My reasoning behind thinking it is a software related problem is because the only time I've had any heat issue ending a non-responsive program gave immediate results. the fans turn on and off based on temperature readings and various other conditions such as which power plan you are using correct? so it could be possible that a software issue is interfering with the temperature regulation. Just some thoughts on what may be happening.

7. MadRavenOo

MadRavenOo Pen Pal - Newbie

FYI: If you just wait on the login screen (select profile or scan finger screen) for about 10-15 seconds (or more if you like), the fans seems to work just fine (havent quit on me since doing this).

It seems that something just needs more time to start up completely before any profile is started.
    I havent been able to figure which program it is as it seems to startup, just not completely with a fast login.

Thoughts: This might have something to do with higher processor CPUs (like our duos), which might be processing the login screen too quickly, thus fast logins ends up interrupting certain items that need more time

In addition: I also have my auto sleep/hibernate and screen saver off/disabled. (anything similar that might 'turn off' and startup quickly, thus not using the delay login process, as these have also shut off the fans sometimes)(anyone else having issues when sleep/hibernate, etc...?)

Anyways, till some more is revealed, I'll stick with the delayed login as it seems to be working fine this way. I will continue to check the fans from time to time and might test some more things out later on.

If anyone does send their system back for repairs, let us know if it is really fixed or not (and if they have an answer or something)

8. bpjen

bpjen Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been running for about a week now without an episode. I think the only thing I have changed is not using the fingerprint reader. Who knows, maybe something updated via automatic updates, but everything seems to be working now. I have run some pretty intensive video projects, have let it sit on for extended periods, and no overheating. Maybe if things slow down a bit I will attempt to use the fingerprint reader again to see if that causes a problem again.
    Bottom line is, I am glad that it seems to be working, but it is a bit disconcerting not knowing if the problem has really been fixed.

9. NetHead

NetHead My PC almost boils water

My situation is almost exactly like yours. I did experience two overheats after I stopped using the fingerprint reader software. Now I've disabled the reader's driver through Device Manager and will see if I have more problems.

Edit: Boo. Fan malfunctioned even with the fingerprint reader disabled through device manager. :mad:

Edit 2: I just had my first fan malfunction on battery power.

10. bpjen

bpjen Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry to hear that Nethead. I have been crossing my fingers, have't had a problem for a while, but I still don't have confidence that nothing is wrong. Is anyone else still having a problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.