C-140X Overheating

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Spartikiss, Sep 6, 2009.

?

Does the C-140X Overheat?

1. Yes, only under intensive apps

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Yes, both intensive and non-intensive apps

33 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. No, not under intensive or non-intensive apps

26 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. No, although I haven't used any intensive apps.

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nichod

Nichod Scribbler - Standard Member

Has everyone tried removing the battery and keeping it plugged into an outlet to see if it may be the battery is overheating and causing the whole unit to heat up? Although I don't think I've seen any comments on the battery being hot. I'd really like to see this issue resolved and figured out. I want to purchase a c140x, but if it will be nothing but troubleshooting for months, I'd prefer to wait.

2. NeoLibCon

NeoLibCon Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I'm ATI. And I've overheated on the battery. I have the 12 cell and it never has gotten hot.

3. bizarrogir

bizarrogir Pen Pal - Newbie

I have Windows XP and the ATI card. I noticed that my tablet only overheats on AC power (without the battery in) in tablet mode. When in laptop mode on AC power the fans kick in properly. Putting it in sleep causes the fans to kick back in.

4. Erock1982

Erock1982 Logistics Genius

well folks i think we have narrowed it down to the ATI card as the common denominator. the problem is happening both plugged in and on battery power. both in laptop mode and in tablet mode. if i had to take a guess id say theres something wrong with those fans OR theres not enough power for the fans to kick on because the ATI card is using all of it... the later shouldnt be an issue plugged into the wall because theres plenty of power for everything plugged in. i think we may be seeing some faulty engineering here. has anyone made headway with Gateway tech support?? What are they saying? Or are they still pretending there is no problem?

5. dgh725

dgh725 Ah! I've found it!

BTW - the computer is always on battery power.

The AC charges the battery, but the battery powers the computer electronics.

6. bpjen

bpjen Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, some semantics going on here. You can run on ac without a battery present... so strickly speaking it is running on ac while charging the battery.

but back to the overheating problem, I am trying something that I wonder if anyone else had tried- since it might be related to the ati card, I am running at a lower brightness setting to see if there is any difference. Who knows, maybe I am grabbing at straws...

7. dgh725

dgh725 Ah! I've found it!

Ah yes... mea culpa... you are absolutely correct; I wasn't thinking of using AC with the battery removed. Also, I shouldn't have jumped to that conclusion without first reviewing the hardware (should be here early next week!).

As far as brightness - is that backlighting that would be used regardless of what video card is driving the display?

8. Erock1982

Erock1982 Logistics Genius

wouldnt it be helpful to see what kinda voltage each component uses? regardless something fishy is up here no doubt... wheres like - inspector gadget when you need him.

9. mludwig

mludwig Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe just talking rubbish here, but ATI's Powerplay technology is known to regulate power sent to the graphics chip based on load and AC/battery setting.

10. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Some insight based on problems a friend had with his Acer; turns out the CPU fan wasn't seated properly, his Acer would restart everytime he did something CPU-intensive, like gaming. Sent to service centre, they replaced the thermal grease and reseated the CPU fan, now his Acer doesn't restart anymore and fan noise is less noticeable.

I'd definitely get it down to service support and let them take a look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.