C-140X Overheating

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Spartikiss, Sep 6, 2009.

?

Does the C-140X Overheat?

1. Yes, only under intensive apps

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Yes, both intensive and non-intensive apps

33 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. No, not under intensive or non-intensive apps

26 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. No, although I haven't used any intensive apps.

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbeas

cbeas Pen Pal - Newbie

Me too...ATI & overheating!

Before I left my desk today I tried to put my machine in sleep mode...the screen went off but obviously everything else stayed awake (i've had this happen a few times while on ac power). When I came back a couple of hours later my machine was burning up....Speedfan showed the temp at 79 celsius. After blowing into the exhaust vent to get the fan going it cooled back down to 36 within just a few minutes.

This thing is starting to scare me it gets so hot. I'll be calling Gateway on Monday.

2. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

Are you sure you actually put it to sleep? In some instances the machine will turn off the screen and lock the computer, but sleep is VERY different from that...

If you go into your advanced power managment settings (found by clicking the control panal (classic view)--> Power Options --> Change Power Options (for the corresponding power plan you're on) --> change advanced power settings --> look for the tree that says multimedia sharing and click it --> Make sure that you have selected to let the computer sleep...

I left my computer on last night and it didn't sleep or hybernate because "prevent idling to sleep" was selected...

MAN WAS IT HOT this morning... Not only that, but the fan wasn't running AND I had to do the blowing thing to get it to work. Mind you, up to this morning, I have not had a single problem with this system in these last two weeks...

I suggest EVERYONE who is having the overheating problem, check these settings... WHo knows, it might just help...

Anyway... I've been running this thing all day AND no problems (I had none before...)

Goodluck guys!

Oh yeah, Does anyone else know how many fans this thing has exactly? Does it have just that one big one everyone keeps blowing, or does it have more?

3. bpjen

bpjen Pen Pal - Newbie

it has two, a small one in the middle towards the front

4. dgh725

dgh725 Ah! I've found it!

A while back someone said something about unplugging and replugging the fan connector. Perhaps this "cleans" the contacts and allows better current flow. Maybe there is some corrosion (or protectant from manufacture) while on the shelf prior to assembly. I've experienced similar "dirty connection" problems in the past.

It could also be that the ATI video puts more load on the PS and pulls down the voltage (or current supplying capability) when hot to a level below the fan's required start current.

Just guessing since I don't have one to troubleshoot with (yet).

5. Spartikiss

DgH... What is TPM? And why was it so important to get it?

-Spart

6. dgh725

Trusted Platform Module (Google it).

Simply stated, this allows the highest level of BitLocker encryption of your hard drive to protect information.

Also, can be used to prevent booting without proper authentication prior to Operating System start.

Also, if stolen, TPM hardware is traceable whenever the computer is connected to the internet, even if the hard drive has been replaced.

In my line of work, I travel and I have information on my computer that MUST NOT be compromised.

There are other benefits to a company that owns multiple assets with TPM, (remote management; secure, hardware-based authentication...) but that doesn't fit my case unless I figure out how to use it when connecting back to my server at home.

Originally, I thought the C-140X included TPM, but I was mistaken. When I saw that gatewaymike had discovered the fact the hard way, I immediately changed my order to the E-295C (shipped today!).

7. Spartikiss

I got the business version too, but how do I check?

8. NetHead

NetHead My PC almost boils water

A Gateway tech had me try this during a support call. It didn't work.

ATI card here, too, BTW. On-site service is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon, but since someone mentioned replacing the fans didn't work I'm not expecting much.

9. dgh725

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. Erock1982

Erock1982 Logistics Genius

wow our specs match exactly... how soon after you got the device did this problem start happening?? it seems to me people are mainly having this problem while using the computer on the AC charger... those who shut the device off and allow the battery to charge are not affected.

so far the following: all affected devices are ATI graphics, all affected devices' fans are not engaging to cool, this problem happens when connected to AC power...

ill be watching mine very closely when i get it on monday or tuesday (finally shipped out)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.