C-140X Overheating

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Spartikiss, Sep 6, 2009.

?

Does the C-140X Overheat?

1. Yes, only under intensive apps

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Yes, both intensive and non-intensive apps

33 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. No, not under intensive or non-intensive apps

26 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. No, although I haven't used any intensive apps.

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bpjen

bpjen Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, I will be in touch with Gateway, and update here with anything I learn.
    Someone asked if you could nudge the fan to work, the answer is yes. I took the cover off where the heat sink/fan are, and have been running it through some cpu intensive stuff to see what I can see. It has happened that the temp rose, the fan did not kick on, and a gentle nudge with my finger got it going. At this point I am suspecting it is the fan. Hopefully you will get yours back soon, G.

2. NeoLibCon

NeoLibCon Scribbler - Standard Member

I had to blow through the fan a couple of times on battery power last night. Is anyone overheating on AC power?

3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I have to wonder if it's possible and feasible to pull the sticker off the fan and put in a drop of oil like you can with desktop fans. It sounds like it just needs better lubrication to overcome the stiction.

4. NetHead

NetHead My PC almost boils water

Yes. Typically on AC power for me.

5. bpjen

bpjen Pen Pal - Newbie

well, sorry to be the bearer of not-so-good news, but I am 99% sure it is not the fan. I have a CX2610 (an earlier model of the convertible) and just for yuks looked to see if it is the same fan. Lo and behold, exactly the same (the heatsink is a bit different, though) I switched out the fans and the exact same thing happened. My guess now is that it is not getting enough juice to start the fan up in certain situations, and is probably a bios issue.

6. mludwig

mludwig Pen Pal - Newbie

So it is not the temperature sensor, but the power circuit of the fan. Not sure it can be fixed with a BIOS update. If the fan has more than one speed setting, it would be easy to start it at a higher speed and slow it down later.

7. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

Perhaps the fans are getting a little stuck? Maybe something like graphite or wd-40 if it didnt get on the electronics?

Naturally you would have to be very carefull wit hsomething like that. but it seems to me that they lack the power to initially get going SOMETIMES (mine works perfectly, so idk) so maybe they need to be made to spin easier.

8. bpjen

bpjen Pen Pal - Newbie

That's why I don't think it is the fan. Another fan, that has been working fine in another machine, exhibited the same behavior. I would think that there is something common to our configurations that make the problem show up.

9. Erock1982

Erock1982 Logistics Genius

does everone not have the ATI card?????? ive asked this before and it was skipped over, im pretty sure everyone whos got the issue has the same graphics card... not a single post from someone who has the intel one...

10. bpjen

bpjen Pen Pal - Newbie

that's my hunch, also. ati here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.