C-140X Overheating

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Spartikiss, Sep 6, 2009.

?

Does the C-140X Overheat?

1. Yes, only under intensive apps

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Yes, both intensive and non-intensive apps

33 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. No, not under intensive or non-intensive apps

26 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. No, although I haven't used any intensive apps.

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NetHead

NetHead My PC almost boils water

I spoke too soon. The laptop shut itself off again last night.

I am still waiting for them to call me to schedule an onsite repair. I will call them after my day is done to see what the deal is.

Edit: Just for kicks, here's the last line of my speedfan logs from last night (this should be right before it crashed)

"Seconds HD0 Temp1 Core 0 Core 1"
    "6597 54.0 96.0 80.0 81.0"
    I am assuming that's in Celsius since there are values in the 40s in some of the other files and it doesn't get that cold here in Texas :)

2. NeoLibCon

NeoLibCon Scribbler - Standard Member

They would only be able to tell from obvious removal of screws. With on-site warranty, though, Gateway will never see your unit. Only, in my case anyways, a contracted technician who is not loyal to Gateway.

3. Slawek

Slawek My new laptop smoking you

Some Locktite can fix that issue. :) Anyone sell aftermarket internal notebook coolers? or does anyone think the fan inside this thing is proprietary?

4. playersnoopy

playersnoopy Pen Pal - Newbie

You better hope that's in Fahrenheit cuz if that's Celsius your computer is done for :p When you run speedfan it should show your temp like 45C, so celsius. Unless somehow your settings are changed and shows Fahrenheit your computer is running super hot. 96 degrees celsius is near water boiling point. If you run your program and it reads 96F then it's in fahrenheit and you're ok and running really cool.

5. NetHead

Well, I caught the defect on camera.

Gave Gateway another call and they said they just shipped the replacement fan to their technician today. (They said they would be at my place yesterday to fix it--what is up with them and estimates?)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. mludwig

mludwig Pen Pal - Newbie

NetHead, could you try giving it a nudge instead of blowing it? That way you can tell, if it is the sensor or the fan that's faulty. However, it seems the fan wants to start, but it just doesn't have the right amount of kick.

7. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

How did you get it to give you 4 readings? I only get the one for the two cores...

-Spart

8. NetHead

Ran under XP compatibility mode and as administrator.

I'll try nudging the fan next time I notice the problem. Don't expect a video though, I won't have access to a camera for the next few days.

9. bpjen

bpjen Pen Pal - Newbie

I am noticing the problem also, I had a shutdown a couple nights ago while working off the battery.
    Here's something I am doing until a fix is announced. I downloaded the program Notebook Hardware Control. I used to use this a while back, but haven't for a while. It reports a number of temperatures and speeds, you can control some power settings, etc. What I have found helpful is that you can set the program to alert you if the processor or hard drive reach a certain temperature. A pop up window shows up, and you can set the temp you want it to be triggered by. Since I often don't hear the fan or touch the unit to see how hot it is, this gives me a cue that the fan is not kicking on. I have then just turned it over and did the "blow in the fan trick" to get it going, and it cools down quickly. The temp is constantly shown on the task bar also. Let's hope a fix is announced soon.

Funny, it did it just as I was finishing posting this... it definitely seems that either the fan is defective, or it is not getting enough juice to start it up.

10. gutierrez

gutierrez waiting for a fixed fan

Please do contact gateway and let them know you are having the problem if you haven't yet. Ask if there is a fix other than sending it in if you don't want to send it in. The more evidence they get there is a real problem, they more likely a fix will be on the way.

I'm hoping they are working on mine right now and it will be back to me soon... without any cooling problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.