C-140X Overheating

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Spartikiss, Sep 6, 2009.

?

Does the C-140X Overheat?

1. Yes, only under intensive apps

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Yes, both intensive and non-intensive apps

33 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. No, not under intensive or non-intensive apps

26 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. No, although I haven't used any intensive apps.

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatewaymike

gatewaymike Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had this computer overheat and reboot at least 4 times now. The first time occurred while editing a video with Ulead VideoStudio 11. The second time was when i finally got the video edited and wanted to render it to WMV 720p. It reached about 8% of rendering and shutdown.

The 3rd time it happend when I was in the middle of writing some code in Visual Studio 2005.

The 4th time happend right after I rebooted and logged into Windows. It loaded that stupid sidebar and then off it went.

I think there is a problem with the fan or the sensor that controls the fan. In all 4 times I recall the fans were not running. Now whenever I hear the fans stop for 5 minutes and I am doing something intensive...I have developed a habit of saving all my work, and putting the computer to "sleep". After I revive it the fan start working again. However this is a pain in the ###.

I am going to see what gateway customer support will say about this.

2. Meltdown

Meltdown Me

I have the same problem! havent mentioned it cause it seems to be intermittent.

I am in no way obstructing the vents.

It seems that the fan shuts off after a while and refuses to turn back on no matter what the system temp is. When I notice that it is happening, I manually reset the system and it works fine.

Let us know what you find out from gateway, glad to hear im not the only one seeing this.

3. gutierrez

gutierrez waiting for a fixed fan

10 Sep 2007 04:06:48 PM Jordan_GWPR111 says: I've read your issue description from the submission form. I understand that the fans on the laptop stop working after a while and the CPU becomes dangerously hot. Do you have any more details that may help us?

10 Sep 2007 04:08:06 PM Ross Graeber says: I had just finished installing Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, but I just got the laptop from corporate. It's just out of the box, but if I let it run for more than a couple hours in a stretch the fans just stop working.

10 Sep 2007 04:08:33 PM Ross Graeber says: If I restart, or sleep. I can get them to come back on, but after a while they stop funcitoning again.

10 Sep 2007 04:08:44 PM Ross Graeber says: My CPU temp hit 91c

10 Sep 2007 04:09:32 PM Jordan_GWPR111 says: Can you tell me exactly when this started and describe any changes you made around that time?

10 Sep 2007 04:10:44 PM Ross Graeber says: I've just been installing needed software. Visual Studio 2005, Firefox, SQL Server Management Studio. Outside the base configuration, that's it.

10 Sep 2007 04:11:50 PM Jordan_GWPR111 says: Have you added any hardware that might have affected the system?

10 Sep 2007 04:12:33 PM Ross Graeber says: No changes

10 Sep 2007 04:15:06 PM Jordan_GWPR111 says: The problem could be on the thermal sensor of the notebook. You may need to send us the notebook for service.

10 Sep 2007 04:18:13 PM Ross Graeber says: You're kidding...

10 Sep 2007 04:22:39 PM Jordan_GWPR111 says: Considering its new, we may need to replace it.

10 Sep 2007 04:23:40 PM Ross Graeber says: I see, what would the turnaround be on that sort of request? I need this machine to work.

10 Sep 2007 04:25:15 PM Jordan_GWPR111 says: Once the replacement order is complete, it may take 7-10 business days for the replacement to arrive.

10 Sep 2007 04:28:07 PM Ross Graeber says: Alright, well, I'm going watch it a couple more days to make sure this problem continues, but we may be doing that.

10 Sep 2007 04:28:30 PM Jordan_GWPR111 says: Okay.

10 Sep 2007 04:28:38 PM Jordan_GWPR111 says: For future reference, I have documented our chat in Service Request #-#########. You can use this number when contacting us again.

10 Sep 2007 04:29:54 PM Ross Graeber says: Alright, thank you. All the delays getting this and it's already having problems. Kind of depressing.

10 Sep 2007 04:30:04 PM Jordan_GWPR111 says: You're welcome.

10 Sep 2007 04:30:06 PM Jordan_GWPR111 says: To save your chat log, please click on the "View Live Log" button at the bottom left side of the chat window. It will open a chat log window. Please use the option to "Save log to disk". Keep in mind you do not need a disk or cd. You can simply save the log to your system.

4. dgh725

dgh725 Ah! I've found it!

Interesting that right after you say, "...Kind of depressing." The response is, "You're welcome."

Hmmmmm...

5. playersnoopy

playersnoopy Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had it go once without the fan ever kicking in and it was scorching hot, almost burned my hand when I picked it up. Wish it left a mark so I could sue :p

Have yet to have it reboot on me due to overheating and it hasn't had the problem of the fan not kicking in once I reinstalled everything clean and avoided partial incompatible software and drivers.

I'll try something labor intensive like 3D or video editing later and see how it goes.

6. gatewaymike

I am chatting with a tech support guy right now and I am basically getting the same questions and EXACT same responses as gutierrez's post says....

7. dgh725

dgh725 Ah! I've found it!

I wonder if they do any sort of "burn-in" after they build one, before they ship? Even if the hard drives are imaged on another machine, you'd think they at least turn it on to make sure it boots/works.

Maybe the Speedfan utility can provide some insight (www.almico.com/speedfan.php).

8. NeoLibCon

NeoLibCon Scribbler - Standard Member

What cpu does everyone have that's having overheating/fan issues?

9. gatewaymike

I just got done with my chat, and they didn't even know they had sent me 4GB of RAM, they had 2GB on record... They told me to ship it back...and pay for shipping. I think I am done playing with this computer and am shooting for refund.

10. gutierrez

gutierrez waiting for a fixed fan

T7700, @ 60c right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.