C-140x for Art / Design issues - Solved

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Meltdown, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meltdown

Meltdown Me

Actually im quite encouraged that this is just a driver issue. Drivers can be improved and fixed. And since this does not seem to be isolated chances are a fix is in the works.

Removing the wacom driver fixes the offset problem but takes away pressure sensitivity from most programs. Ie. Photoshop / Mudbox

(nos4ra2) Tried reinstalling as you suggested but get wacom errors on the driver now. So I uninstalled again. Just had a few mins to try before work but I will try again tonight.

On a positive note, Sketchbook works and has worked perfectly throughout all of this. For simply drawing and sketching I would HIGHLY recommend this program. It is specifically made for tablet users and designed to be used w/o a keyboard.

2. waplespunk

waplespunk Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried n0s4ra2's advice and I'm still getting the error. What's odd is that it's fine near the top, but as you get lower left, the cursor is above and to the right of the pen tip about 10 pixels off, and in the lower right corner of the screen, the cursor is almost directly above the pen tip about 7 pixels.

I'd be interested to see if you other guys are getting the same offset as I am.

n0s4ra2, which driver are you using? When I went to download the Tablet PC driver and selected Vista, the notes say that the driver is made for XP only. I wonder if they have the wrong driver up there.

CoolV, when you hold the pen directly on the screen in photoshop, you'll see the offset. If you press ALT+TAB to get out of PS, the cursor magically appears directly under the pen tip. When you ALT+TAB again back into PS, the cursor moves away from the tpen tip again. This is while keeping the pen perfectly steady. So it is not an issue with how we're holding the pen.

3. ironfinger

ironfinger Pen Pal - Newbie

oh crap, say it aint so! Does alignment at least work in Painter?
    If this issue doesn't get a fix I'll have to cancel my order before it ships!

4. Meltdown

Meltdown Me

Painter has the same problems. The only program that I've used, unaffected with or witout the wacom drivers is sketchbook by Alias.

5. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

well art rage works just fine for me... free addition. Maybe you guys are doing something wrong.

PS, I havent installed any addtional drivers.

6. Meltdown

Meltdown Me

(chriscannon) The problem is, without the wacom drivers from the website, you will not be able to use pressure sensitivity in Photoshop. That is a problem for many people because it is the most widely used professional paint tool out there. It's pretty important for alot of us that Photoshop works properly.

With the wacom drivers pressure sensitivity works but alignment is off.

Alias Sketchbook has pressure sensitivity and is in alignment with or without the wacom drivers, and now it sounds like Art Rage works as well.

7. waplespunk

Meltdown, have you tried the posted fixes in this thread, and is it working for you? I tried, but it didn't.

I just got off the phone with Wacom and he said they actually don't support the tablet since they just OEM the parts out.

However, he told me to try the 5.05 drivers.
    http://www.wacom.com/productsupport/drivers.cfm?os=Vista&product=CTE4

He said that the 6.04 (which the other Wacom person told me to try) isn't for tablet and it shouldn't work. And when you go to the Wacom drivers download page and download the tabletPC drivers (XP or Vista) you get the 5.03 drivers, which are a little older.

I don't know if 5.05 will work, but that's what he suggested. He also said to remove all Wacom drivers and reboot and try Photoshop to see if the error is still happening. If so, it's possibly a Vista error since at that point, the tablet is using Microsoft's pen drivers.

8. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

In all programs that i use, the pen never changes calibration. I have not tried photoshop yet, but im trying to find a way to buy it for less than $600... or even free.

The only time the calibration gets a little off is when I change the screen orientation and am holding the computer differently.

9. Meltdown

Meltdown Me

Yeah I've tried each proposed fix and I appreciate all the suggestions. The results are as I have previously posted.

The calibration offset problem still exists when I have wacom drivers installed. When I uninstall them, calibration is dead on in every program, trouble is most have lost pressure sensitivity.

If Wacom is not supporting the tablet we may have to hope Gateway will. I will try a few of the other drivers you suggested. I'll let you know if any of that helps.

10. waplespunk

Well, 5.05 doesn't fix it either :/ It's amazing how when Wacom isn't installed, the cursor in PS is dead on, but it gets out once you install the drivers. Does that sound like it is, in fact, a Wacom issue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.