C-140 Wacom Driver Woes

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by mrmartini888, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrmartini888

mrmartini888 Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's my current situation, maybe someone could help me:

I got my C140 last month and immediately installed the Adobe CS3, my art programs of choice. I then installed the latest Wacom drivers (5.07 i think ?) after finding out about the pressure sensitivity problem with Photoshop.

After installing the drivers, I then found out about the calibration issues, and attempted the registry edit fix posted on these forums. Doing this caused my laptop to go to the BSOD on startup, then go through a 30 minute "restoration" process to finally be able to enter Windows. So basically, the registry thing didn't work and Photoshop and Illustrator are both still mis-calibrated.

So now I've decided to try to go back to the original factory driver settings so I can get good calibration in Photoshop and lose the pressure sensitivity. Does anyone know how to do this? Also, I've recently started using a great painting program called TwistedBrush which works perfectly (both calibration and pressure sensitivity are right). Has anyone used this program, and will "rolling back" the Wacom drivers affect TwistedBrush's tablet performance?

On another issue, I'm thinking about switching to Windows XP tablet edition b/c I really hate how Vista sucks up all of my RAM and crashes all the time for no reason. Are all of these dumb driver issues a problem in XP as well? Are there any other issues I should know about for XP?

Thanks for the help guys, these forums were great for researching the C-140 and figuring out the buying process,. Despite these driver issues I'm really happy with the C-140.

2. schroder999

schroder999 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok lets see if we can clear up some of your questions.

1) To roll back to the factory install state you can try to use windows restore or you can just use the install disc that came with the computer and reinstall vista. Keep in mind if you do this that you need the drivers off gateway's site for network adapter, wireless card, video card, and sound because they are not on the install disc. You need to download these *before* you reformat unless you have easy access to a second computer and a way to transfer the files painlessly (the files take up around 250mb total but can be transfered in 90 mb blocks if you have a small USB drive).

2) Twistedbrush, Artrage, and Sketchbook Pro do not use wacom's drivers and the driver state or lack thereof will not affect their performance at all. They use the native ink services in vista or XP tablet and do not need wacom drivers installed at all.

3) As far as I know these issues are not present in XP tablet edition however there has been a lack of posts on the forum about people who have it installed on this machine. I personally am running vista home premium 32 bit with no problems. I originally was gonna run XP tablet on a second hard drive for programs with compatability problems but it turned out to not be needed in my case so I probably will fool around with trying something experimental like installing Mac OS or something on it now.

Hope this helps,

schroder

3. AlbertDeschesne

AlbertDeschesne Wants a Mac Convertable!

And if you manage to get OS X to run properly, please let this mac head know how... I got this tablet because of the fiasco that is the modbook. So, any way to dual-boot into OS X and Vista would be greatly appreciated.

Albert

4. bpjen

bpjen Pen Pal - Newbie

If I understand your question, all you need to do is uninstall the wacom drivers. These are "additional" drivers, and did not replace the drivers native to the os. Uninstall, I think you need to reboot, and then I would definitely re-calibrate in all orientations.

5. IMNOTDRPHIL

IMNOTDRPHIL Pen Pal - Newbie

IF he can get a hacked version of OS X running, it's not likely he'll get the tablet to work. There are no ISDv4 serial drivers for MacOS, although Wacom may have the plug-in tablet (Graphire, Intuos, etc.) drivers for the Macintosh. Either that or he can go try and port the LinuxWacom FreeBSD TabletPC drivers to MacOS X.

6. kidkadian

kidkadian DJ / VJ / Performer

Maybe i can help, I went with xp tablet over vista because i use adobe products and had read about all of the problems with wacon drives and vista.
    I am running CS3 apps (PS, Il, DW, Flash, Premeir) and it runs great on XP, how ever i haven't installed the wacom drivers ( i am still running on the supplied gateway drivers ). this is mostly due to me not running into any problems yet with tablet functionality to make me want to update them.

I am also using artrage it is a great app, it seems to be a upgraded version of ink art which is in the education expirence pack ( don't know if you got it ? they gave it to me anyways after i called them twice and told them no. lol but i was glad they did anyways )

The only problem i ever have with the gateway pen drivers is calibration, it seems to get thrown off every few hours, but that is only if i don't use tablet mode for a few hours. Also i suggest that you switch to tablet mode before launching some apps, it occasionally locks up for a few minutes when you press the rotate screen but it hasn't crashed on me yet ( lol maybe i just need more ram )

btw. what am i missing out by not using wacom drivers ? i plan on upgrading once i get enough scratch to get a better official wacon pen. but should i upgrade now ?

7. nikotttin

nikotttin Pen Pal - Newbie

I though the progresses of the OSX Tabletmagic Driver Project were quite good and that Wacom drivers just worked fine. Here's some info and links:
    http://gsbd41316.wordpress.com/2006/08/06/pentablet-functionality-support/
    http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=43948
    and
    http://thinkyhead.com/tabletmagic/about.php

8. mrmartini888

mrmartini888 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, thanks for the help! I was able to roll back the Wacom drivers to the original settings, and now Photoshop works fine (w/out pressure sensitivity though) and Twistedbrush still works great. I think I'll hold off on the XP downgrade until I get a new hard drive, or until I see how much Vista is improved (if any) by SP1. Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.