c-120x questions (ordered c-140x)

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by controlling, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. controlling

controlling Pen Pal - Newbie

I finally ordered a c-140x (ordered it under the business model at a good discount and got a priority rush order). In terms of mobility, I fear that the c-140x may be a tad too large, so I am keeping in mind that if it is I can return it and trade for the c-120x (which is probably a tad too small)- in truth, I'd prefer in the fujitsu in a 12 inch model, but being able to trade without fee is worth it and I also would like to have touch capabilities. I would like greater performance than the c-120x, but I'm not a gamer and I use few power hungry programs.

I have a few questions for those with the c-120x. How is the keyboard? Is it fairly full size. I liked the fujitsu keyboard quite a bit, but found the x61 too cramped. Does the touchscreen work well? What is your overall satisfaction level? Do you find it a sturdy build?

THANKS

2. bostitch

bostitch Pen Pal - Newbie

I have c-120X for about 2 weeks now and so far I am happy with the computer. It is not the fastest machine but I felt it has the right balance machine in terms of speed, portability, features, and price.

Now to answer your questions:
    Keyboard: I am not used to the layout yet, but I find the size is fine. Note that I am used to the dell inspiron 700m (12 inch wide screen). I think the keyboard size is comparable to X61 and Fujitsu T4220 (I've seen both of them in local store). I thought X61, T4220, and C-120X have similar keyboard size. There is a little flex on the upper left hand corner, but it is not a problem at all. And the keys are a little springy.

Touch screen works well as long as you realize that when you touch using your finger, your finger is much wider than the tip of stylus. In another words, don't expect it to be as accurate as active digitizer if you are using your finger to touch, but it works well. If I use a pda stylus, then it is as accurate as the active digitizer. But you will have problem with vectoring and slight lag if you use touchscreen only without using the Wacom pen.

The build is sturdy (especially the hinge) with the exception of slight keyboard flex on the upper left hand side which is negligible. I would say it is as sturdy as the X61 and T4220. But the external surface doesn't feel as rugged as the X61, it feels more plastic like the Fujitsu T4220.

In conclusion, I am very satisfied with my C-120X considering price, speed, portability, and features.

3. everlast2504

everlast2504 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok this gripe has nothing to do with but in gerenral.

Call me old fashioned but when did a laptop bigger then 12.1 inches become no portable? I must of missed something. I have a c140x i love the thing. Its size if fine, if they made a 15.4 inch tablet i would buy it. 90% of laptops are made to be lugged around, thats why there called "laptops" and desktops. I find the c140 has a good weight, i couldn't imagine have a sub 5 pound laptop. I think i would break the thing by tossing it around too much. Plus a 12 inch screen? Gimmie a break. Whats the point of having a "true tablet pc if the screen is smaller then a colleged ruled paper. Now i know the 140 screen is smaller but inside the margins will still take fit in the screen. I know i might be starting a flame war. But why would you pay for a laptop an overglorfied PDA?

4. DRR

DRR Pen Pal - Newbie

Takes me back to the days of the new Osborne portable. That was heavy.

5. bostitch

bostitch Pen Pal - Newbie

I did not say C-140X or anything larger than 12 inch isn't portable. But it is true that the C-120X is more portable than C-140X.

I would say the C-140X might be a little to big for my liking because I normally carry some other stuff in my briefcase. Once you add a textbook in your bag, the smaller 12 inch tablet suddenly becomes much more attractive to carry. This becomes more significant if your university campus is big. I remember when I was a freshman, sometimes I had to walk about ten minutes from one class to the next, and I have to walk fast because the class is only 12 minutes apart. And if you take a bus to go where you have to go, then the every pounds you save becomes significant. If you plan to carry only tablet then the C-140X is fine.

Also, the C-140X tablet is more equivalent to a 15.4inch regular laptop in terms of size and weight.

I also would say that for my purpose, the 12 inch writing surface is enough. If I need bigger working space, I would use those large LCD and have a dual screen setup (1 LCD and 1 tablet).

Don't get me wrong, I like what C-140X has to offer, but like many others who has gone through deliberation choosing a tablet pc, you want to consider all aspect before spending your money. And each factor is relative depending on how you use the tablet.

If you asked me if C-120X is the perfect tablet, I would say no, but it is best available for me when I bought it. Sure I would love to have core 2 duo 2.0GHZ, dedicated video card, but I am not going to sacrifice the touch screen and lighter weight of the C-120X for those items.