Bye bye Fujitsu?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ATIVQ, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wow. I didn't even know this thing existed!

Still $1800 CAD.., but wow!

I already type on a Japanese USB keyboard, (which I bought in a moment of, "hey, this would be cool!"), so I know what keys the brackets and symbol characters are all hiding under now.

I wonder.., with Wacom breaking the mold with a 15.6" companion if competitors will follow suit...

Hm!

WillAdams likes this.
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I lurk nowadays and read, but since I moved solely into natural media watercolor work over the last few years, one of the real strong reasons for digital pen work went away. I'm also not in the current market- my current Thinkpad 14 is very good, and meets my legitmate pen input needs with landscape design for work. I have an old Thinkpad Tablet 2 for field work, and it's a breeze too- still does what I need just fine, which is standing pen input and note taking. For a while, I tried a Surface Pro, but it was too heavy for my needs, and in the end, for about 80%+ of my laptop use, I really need a laptop with a real keyboard.

I've been waiting to see if Apple releases an IPad Mini (or if Samsung would ever release another small pen tablet), but no go on either. I like the idea of pen input and quick digital sketches for on site plein air work, but not much out there yet, that I'm ready to lay down 500+$ on. I pondered getting a Note 7 for just this sort of thing, but I'll skip exploding firey phones.

I've also feel like the tablet market has sort of plateaued- since the Surface a few years, there really hasn't been much that's new. Tablets are all doing the same stuff. There was a time, when I was looking a lot at Fujitsus (4 or 5 or 6 years ago), when screens were dim, devices were hot and heavy in all the wrong ways, and battery life was terrible. Nowadays, the truth is that its not hard to find a relatively affordable tablet/ pen-input device that-

a) has a bright 400 nit screen that's has a mild AR layer
    b) that gets 5-10 hours of battery life
    c) that is fanless and sealed, so dust or a bit of mist isn't such an issue anymore

That was a lot of why Fuji devices had some value, at a certain time. Now though.... Eh. Would I like a device that did all those things, but also offered really good pen input, with a silo (or a rugged case that provided a silo), that had a nice textured screen, that was small and light? Yes. But that hasn't shown up yet. Either EMR has to make a comeback, or they really need to improve AES, which I do not find responsive enough for art input- personally.

And so, I'm pretty quiet.... :p

edit-
    the other thing I gotta say is that digital art programs have also sort of stagnated. They're still pretty much doing things they were 5 years ago. There's not really any change. Even some of the newer programs, like Mischief or Rebel, don't really excite me. Artrage is basically the same program now as it was in 2010- just now it's multicore and has a better work environment. The only program of interest to me, as offering something new, is Expresii- here you have real fluid dynamics being simulated during the painting process, taking advantage of the GPU. It offers something new.

If you do linework, or flat color work, I think working digitally is a fantastic idea, but for fluid action in real time, IMO water on paper with pigment still simply can't be beat.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I sort of see where you are coming from...but I'll play contrarian (lest you slip back into the ether :)).

I would say the real-world battery life in most 2-in-1's are nowhere near the comfortable 5-10 hour ballpark..most struggle mightily to eek out 5.

Fanless and sealed only are on some Core M devices (most of which have sub-5 hour battery life) or Atom devices (which generally do not have 400 nit screens).

Come to think of it, most tablets do not even have 300 nit screens...daylight viewability has actually fallen behind the old days with devices like Fujitsu's 800 nit ST4121.

So all is not rosy in the world of tablet pcs, and we need more old-timers like you yammering for more! :p

4. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Unfortunately it had that delayed launch and various things that gave people pause: cosmetic imperfection(s), it was white, large bezels, it was white, 32 bit so it only used 2.8 GB of its 4 GB, it was white, the headphone jack had noise (fixed since then, at least on mine), it was white...

Me, I had no hating on it other than the headphone jack noisiness, which got eliminated somehow when I upgraded to W10 (might have been a late W8.1 thing, I hadn't been keeping up). I happily used it as my one-and-only PC for more than a year. It's backup now, mostly, since I shifted to a smartphone/desktop 2-device solution.

I guess the Q584 ends up being my first and only-ever Fujitsu. I don't trust Lenovo enough to buy from them again, except maybe if it's a Thinkpad.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    WillAdams likes this.
  5. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

A shame, but the PC market (or any kind of consumer computer) market just isn't as profitable any more. Many companies are increasingly moving to 'behind the scenes' work, leaving just a few consumer companies. It really started with IBM.

Hopefully the computing industry doesn't end up like the consumables industry; dominated by the likes of Unilever and Procter & Gamble.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

sad, but thats the industry.

my trusty fujitsu 5112 is still going strong year after year with windows XP,
    and in fact its the only tablet that can reliably run a lot of software on it,
    where it doesn't work on windows 7.

later

7. monkey13

monkey13 Scribbler - Standard Member

It seems that Fujitsu will live on as a separate brand, as Fujitsu and Lenovo issued a joint statement saying "...that they are exploring a strategic cooperation in the realm of research, development, design and manufacturing of personal computers for the global market. Details of the cooperation are currently under discussion."

See here http://news.lenovo.com/news-release...o-explore-global-strategic-pc-cooperation.htm

So it looks more like a joint-venture (hopefully like the Fujitsu-Siemens one) where the two would cut costs by joint R&D and maybe share some patents... It seems both companies need some more funding and working together encreases their chances. See also (use google translate): http://www.notebookcheck.com/Lenovo-Fujitsu-Gespraeche-ueber-Zusammenarbeit-bestaetigt.181758.0.html

Maybe good news after all...

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Would love to see Thinkpads using Fujitsu's matt anti-glare display glass instead of Corning's gorilla glass.

kvoram and WillAdams like this.
  9. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Matte screen and Gorilla class don't have to be exclusive as the Toshiba Z20T shows.

Bronsky and WillAdams like this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Did not know the glass in the Z20T was Gorilla Glass. Wonder why there are not more matt tablets using it then. The Surface would really use something like that to make it more functional in difficult lighting. Overhead neon lights can be as bad as sunlight. Fuji's tempered matt glass is, IMO, the best in the business.

WillAdams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.