Bye bye Fujitsu?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by ATIVQ, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well, personally I would actually go with the z20t, but it's a Core processor 2-in-1 so not really a fair comparison.

But among 10" Atom tablets, I don't really know of an overall better tablet with pen digitizer than the Q584. Nice port selection, docking accesory, and one-of-kind screen (2560x1600 IPS 750:1 contrast):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The battery life (from NotebookCheck) is about 5h which is quite good considering the screen resolution, though lower resolution tablets will would get you longer run-times if that's your main priority.

If I ever find a Q584 for good price, I'm still tempted to pick one up ;)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  2. Marty

The later Atom models dropped a lot of the features, the biggest one being the high-resolution 16:10 screen.

The Q584 is kind of like the 'golden boy' among Fujitsu Atom slates.

The next closest in form factor would be the LaVie Tab W. If you want Core M 10" EMR, the only one I know is the i7 Stylus, but it is 16:9.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

This is kind of sad. Fujitsu tablets have been a fixture in the market for many years and they can probably lay claim to being the biggest champion of the form factor because of their early work. Although I used mobile computing and handwriting recognition products in the early 90's, the Fujitsu ST4120 was my first serious tablet and it was quite a product for its time. I owned a couple more Stylistic slates, then the Q550, all of them rendering reliable service.

I've moved on in brand loyalty since then, but Fujitsu will always have a special place in my memory. I'd like to think that the trademark will survive, but I doubt that the economic forces are there to sustain it. After all, that's why it got sold.

Let's all hope that Lenovo has the wisdom, and the expertise, to honor Fujitsu's heritage...

kvoram, thatcomicsguy and Starlight5 like this.
  4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I love my Thinkpad 14, but I also really miss the swivel screens. Much preferred. And although I think my AES pen is acceptable, nothing really compares to Wacom. Would have loved a Fujitsu that was update- if they ever got their fan issues under control. I'll be interested to see what Lenovo can do with Fujitsu, combined. The truth is that Fujitsu brought in on themselves- how many tablets over the last few years did they bring out that had issues with heat, fan noise, and throttling? Definitely was toxic (IMO) to buy much of anything of theirs since the q584- and even that had reported issues.

The last really "100% rock solid" Fuji, as I see it, was the t5010 or the t901.

kvoram, Marty and Starlight5 like this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've never owned a Fujitsu, but lately I've been eyeing their 13" t904/935/936 line because it offers the last modern EMR implementation -and because it's just so pretty.

I was idly wondering if maybe they would release a larger convertible, perhaps using Wacom's 15.6" EMR layer. A long shot, but now even that vague dream is probably best to put away with childish things.

The adult world is determined to run on quad A batteries.

Fujitsu it seems will be USI compliant by default.

Steve S likes this.
  6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The T904/T935/T936 are pretty, but their ageing specs are making them bargain-bin fare. Too thick, too heavy, fan's too noisy, speakers too quiet, no Thunderbolt 3, medium color gamut, small-ish viewing angle. Despite it all it's a very pretty device, and there wasn't much else with a WQHD display and Wacom EMR back then. Things have changed, though.

7. Marty

You're alive!!! :D

Great to see you posting again!

This is now officially the old dinosaurs club, reminiscing about the glory Fujitsu days... :p

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A bargain bin where prices start at $1000, and ones dead from spilled drink fetch $600+.

sigh.

9. Marty

You know, I really sympathize with you about wanting a solid performing EMR tablet (with build aesthetics of yesteryear), but have considered the 13.3" Dynabook Kira L93?

It's one of those rare Japanese tablets that seems to have flown under the radar here in the West, but they put in tremendous effort marketing to artists in Japan:

Some models are pretty well equipped too like the PL93PGP-ZHA, available for a pretty reasonable (by Japanese standards :p) ¥138,416, with a Core i7 5500U, which on par with the i5-3320M in the T902 by Passmark score.

It's certainly up there on my 'heart of hearts' EMR slates along with Fujitsu's Stylistics...

10. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Job cuts at Fujitsu continue. Recently there have been some 2200 layoffs in the UK and Finland, and some ~600 cutoffs/reassignments currently in the works in Germany. Now another ~500 job cuts are planned in Germany, in the information technology system operations and development services.
    According to the Nikkei article there are ~12000 workers in Fujitsus German subsidiary, but another article mentions 5000. I assume the higher number includes all workers in Europe.
    Additonal job cuts in the "desktop computer development and manufacturing segments will be reviewed later, after discussions with Lenovo".

Source: http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Germany-up-next-for-Fujitsu-s-job-cuts

Not sure what this means for our beloved Tablet PCs. I just hope that they continue with R&D in that department and that they will get back on track.

FYi, here is a short and broad history of Fujitsus operations:
    https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.computerwoche.de/a/print/die-geschichte-von-fujitsu,2489910&edit-text=

stormi, ATIVQ and Marty like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.