Buying Tecra M4...Is 128MB Video Too Much?

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Barry J. Doyle, May 27, 2005.

1. ougrad1764

ougrad1764 Pen Pal - Newbie

I was in the process of customizing a Tecra M4 tablet pc on Toshiba.com and encountered a couple difficult considerations. Since I'm new to the tablet pc world, I thought a few kind folks here could help :)

Questions: How much system and graphics memory muscle do I really need? Should I "future-proof" (well at least for the next three years) by getting 128MB of graphics memory, or are 64 MB plenty? Should I go for 1024MB of main memory, or are 512MB enough?

Situation: I'm heading off to get a PhD this fall. I intend to use my tablet pc for teaching classes (hook-up to projector and mark-up ppt slides, show video clips), taking classnotes, research, etc. I like Toshiba's laptops (currently on a Satellite Pro M15-S405) and want to step-up to a tablet pc after reading all the wonderful things about them. However, it'll also be my primary pc, so I need it to have some power for periodic video editing, gaming, etc., along with a larger 14" screen. Thus, the Tecra M4. Though it's a little heavier than most tablets, it seems comparable in weight to my current Satellite, so no big deal.

Current specs of concern on Tecra M4 order: Pentium M 760 2.0Ghz processor, 512MB (will get from crucial, since $$ from Toshiba), 60GB harddrive (5400RPM), nVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 TE 128MB DDR SDRAM.

Thanks for your advice!

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Without sounding like Yoda, the future is hard to see. Right now 64MB of video RAM is almost essential, especially for doing the presentations you are planning. If you are going to keep the Tablet for 2-3 years, I would go for the 128MB video RAM option and call it a done deal.

As far as system RAM, 512MB is fine for now (especially since it won't be "shared" as your video RAM is dedicated memory). I would see if it is cost effective to order the system with one 512MB SODIMM, then in about a year you could add another 512MB in the second slot. Crucial is definately the place to order. I always buy my RAM from them - it is superior quality.

Hope that helps!

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For $75 I'd do it, but unless you're going to run programs or games that neeed video performance you probably don't "need" any more than 64MB. For basic office applicaitons and web browsing, it won't matter in the least. I would suggest you save money on the CPU though. 2.0 GHz is overkill and not a good use of money. I'd rather see you invest those dollars in RAM and faster HDD as you already noted.

4. lunlun

lunlun Pen Pal - Newbie

Ording from crucial??

can someone tell me how that works?!?

i have opened up the case of my desktop..... but NEVer my laptop!!!!

i thought laptop has much more complicated warranty issures?

and i cant quite find M200 ?!?! on the site www.crucial.com :confused:

5. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

6. breckbone

breckbone Pen Pal - Newbie

True. RAM upgrades on laptops was intentionally made easy so that peeps didn't kill their rigs. Anyway, just look for the little panel w/1 or 2 screws on it. The panel is usually around 2"x3". Just make sure you ground yourself before you do it. A static discharge could screw things up.
    Good luck. :)

7. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The install is no big deal. If you are at all nervous about discharging static electricity or inserting the SODIMM properly, call Crucial. Their customer service is second to none when it comes to post sales tech support. Please let us know how it works out when you are done!