Buying my Semi-Dream Computer

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Windchimes, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windchimes

Windchimes Pen Pal - Newbie

Ello, I've finally kinda saved enough money to buy the semi-dream laptop of my dreams.
    My dream would be the Wacom Mobile Studio.

Considering:
    HP Envy x360 15
    Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 15
    Yoga 720 (I'd really like to get this one but it doesn't have a mini hdmi port..)
    Yoga 520
    Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga (2017)
    Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga
    Lenovo Thinkpad 460 (leaning more toward this because of the built in stylus and I've done the most research on this one)

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? 1.1k

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? Ye

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? US

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Not really, but I do have bad history with HP and Samsung Computers. Because of bad build quality. I'm a fan of IBM though.

7. How many hours battery life do you require? 8+

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

All of the above + 3D Modeling Softwares

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Windows

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Yes, Overwatch, Witcher, League of Legends, Fallout 4, & others.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Yes.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Yes.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    Yes, with pressure sensitivity

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's not meant to be a gaming machine, and may have trouble keeping up with 3D applications, but...

I'm loving my Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15".

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&st=samsung+notebook+9+pro

It has 16 Gb of memory and a core i7, with a discreet AMD Radeon 540 graphics card.

The reason I got it was for the Wacom EMR digitizer -the only EMR system in its class other than the Wacom Mobile Studio Pro. -It can be set up to use the full-sized Samsung S Pen, which has a barrel button and works really well.

They sell them at Best Buy for around $1300. (I got mine as an open box re-certified unit for $850). There's also an 8 Gb version of the 15" for $1100.

Basically, it's a Wacom MSP 16 with a keyboard for a third the price.

That'd be my recommendation.

3. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree the N9P is great value and the pen experience is amazing.

You mentioned having build quality issues with Samsung machines is the past. Presumably with their more domestic/consumer lines? The N9P is really well built everything about it is solid.

As thatcomicsguy says gaming and heavy 3D wont be amazing, but having said that moderate none AAA gaming isn't too bad and 3D should be acceptable given the limitations of this form factor. Some of the alternatives will give better gaming and 3D performance but they will cost a bit more and wont have Wacom EMR.

If you keep an eye on the price at Best Buy you can save between $100 and $200 and if you can qualify for student discounts you can save $100. If you time it right you can get an open box unit at a really good price - well under $1000 which is a great deal.

The discussion thread is here http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...d-15-flippers-with-windows-10-and-spen.72302/

I'm biased as I also brought an N9P and I have no complaints about it.

4. Windchimes

Windchimes Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks you! I reall like this model but I'm wary of AMD xd...
    I didn't know the stylus was an emr. That's the pen with the magnet right? What art program do you art with?

5. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not sure why you're worried about AMD? If you want a hard core gaming system then the N9P isn't the answer. If you want the best Wacom EMR drawing experience then the N9P will deliver and it's way less expensive than a MSP 13 and 16 inch.

If you want a great device to draw with and play casual games then the N9P should workout well imho.

Yes the EMR is the Electro Magnetic pen without batteries.

Thatcomicsguy uses Clip Stdio and Photoshop.

Have you seen any Ytube reviews?

These two are worth watching imho...

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just curious, how important is this requirement to you? With that kind of battery life requirement, will you be taking this on the road a lot?

Many Windows tablet pcs cannot get more than 5-6 hours of moderate work load (eg. drawing/browsing), and that's with some battery conservation (low-medium screen brightness, minimal wifi).

This could be the most difficult criteria to fulfill, which perhaps only the Eve V (among current windows tablets) might be able to realistically meet.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Windchimes and Shizaru like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, I don't know much about GPUs, but so far no problems with AMD. -Apparently, the computer comes factory set to switch between the on-chip HD Graphics system and the AMD depending on what you're doing. -Probably that's why I saw some really efficient power use when I was testing video playback on the N9P thread earlier..?

Anyway, yeah! I'm totally a Clip Studio guy these days! I love that program! -Though, there are still a few things I use Photoshop for.

I also used to use ArtRage for paintings, but I've not tried it out yet on the N9P.

My old favorites from *before* (shudder) were things like SAI and MangaLabo, but CSP has come a long way since it began, and they keep improving it. And it's really affordable! -I know lately they've been pushing to have users of their base level program upgrade to the "Ex" version, but honestly, I can't see any reason to do that -even though I'd be happy to support their work. (I'm still thinking about it. The one big improvement is they pull the limits off their animation feature, but since I almost never do animation...)

What do you use? Your avatar looks great!