Buying my first tablet, perhaps the HP Pavilion tx1000?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Ixidor, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. been

been Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I am going to buy my first tablet pretty soon but seeing as there are so many out there i don't really know which one to go for. I'd like to think that i have pretty good knowledge on using a computer and i've been looking on the internet for quite a while now for which tablet I want but i'm still pretty unsure hense why i'm coming here for advice!

I basically want a tablet that is stylish, has a pretty big memory, not too big, has quite a few bonus features and has a lot of new software. I use photoshop very frequently so i need a tablet that works well with photoshop (if that makes any sense!)

From looking around on the web, the tablet that really atracts me is the HP Pavilion tx1000. Simply because it looks very attractive, very reasonably priced, has a large hard drive, has windows vista and several other things. However, I have read a lot of reviews but many seem to mention the same bad points on how the touch screen is hard to use (you have to press pretty hard for it to actually pick up your writing) and that it heats up a lot. So that has kind of put me of buying one/made me unsure on which tablet to buy.

Another tablet that really wowed me was the Modbook. But seeing as apple don't seem to be asociated with it i'm questioning whether it is as good as it looks. I love the fact that it has all the Mac OS X software and comines the best of a MacBook with a tablet and it really appeals to me. But seeing as I live in the UK it won't be available to purchase for a while.

I'd really appreciate other people's opinions on which tablet to buy because Tablets seem so amazing to me!

Thanks! :)

2. FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT Pen Pal - Newbie

This is the first I heard of that Modbook! Does anybody know if you'd be able to use BootCamp on it to dual boot to XP as well as OS X?

3. jthk2004

jthk2004 Miami Gunners

why not wait a couple of months for the new santa rosa tablets? more powerful surely. but it's more $$$ too :(

4. toemass

toemass Pen Pal - Newbie

I was also looking at the HP as a first tablet, but ended up with a Toshiba Tecra M7 -I've never looked back and am glad didn't go with the HP as the Tecra has a much bigger screen, and I'm just exploring the delights of the pressure sensitive WACOM tablet-great For Photoshop.

5. thebranded

thebranded Pen Pal - Newbie

for photshop the tx1000 is not good, it is a passive touch screen, so you cant draw stuff without making a physical contact. also there is no persure sensetivity.

For a small writeing only tablet, the tx1000 is fine. though HP is releaseing the new sanat rose models soon.

6. Ewin24

Ewin24 Pen Pal - Newbie

While I was nearly swayed by the tx1000 as well, simply by it's amazing build design, and because from your description, we both look for the exact same thing in a tablet, I will say to you:
    Don't do it. It has a passive digitizer. AKA innacurate touch, no pressure sensitivity, and no erasing. Horrible for photoshop.

7. gkscythe

gkscythe Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried tx1000 tablet and fujitsu t4215 side by side in frys electronics....

tx1000 sucks cuz of its touchscreen only (thats why its cheap)

if u r going to write a lot.... get active digitizer one.

If u buy a tablet... make sure you buy the right one cuz its expensive..

8. Ixidor

Ixidor Scribbler - Standard Member

Wait, thebranded, where did you hear that they're coming out with a santa rosa one? Thus far, there hasn't been any news about that version...yet. lemme know asap the moment there is, though! thanks.

9. JR7

JR7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Not to detour the topic, but I'd also like to know about HP and Santa Rosa if thebranded (or anyone else) has news. I believe the new 2710p is Santa Rosa, but its aimed at a different audience than the TX1000, and I'm hoping there'll be a Santa Rosa TX1000 soon (I want the on-board optical drive and touch-screen which I don't believe the 2710p offers)

As for the original question of which tablet to buy, look for posts from users who will use the same key programs you will and see what they say about various models. The best tablet for you will vary depending on what applications you use and how important each is to you. You mentioned PhotoShop -- if that's your key application then you will want the pressure sensitivity. If you like the style of the HP, take a look at their new 2710p (which I believe does have an active digitizer with pressure sensitivity). Otherwise, check for people posting about PhotoShop and see specifically what they like and don't like about various models.

JR

10. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi JR,

A Santa Rosa platformed tx1000z is certainly a possibility, however the tx1000z series seems to be going only with AMD processors, rather than the Intel processors the Santa Rosa platform is based upon. Based on HP's model numbers, it would have to be a tx1000t series to have an Intel processor in it; AMD's are made evident by the 'z' at the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.