Buying at Microsoft Store Online - A Nightmare!

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by nannlp, May 12, 2020.

1. nannlp

nannlp Pen Pal - Newbie

First things first

1. This was my very first time buying directly from Microsoft
    2. I stay OUTSIDE US and am not a US citizen
    3. I use a mail forwarding address in the US to consolidate and ship to where ever i am in the world and have done this for the last several years without any problems. The Microsoft Store does not ship to a mail forwarding address or warehouse for security reasons.
    4. I have always been a Windows Tablet pc Fan , big on the surface lineup until recently i just started using the apple stuff .

After getting all excited about the new Microsoft Go 2 release, i headed to the microsoft store online logged into my account and went for the 8gb/128gb m3 LTE version , excited to see the discount applied and when i went to checkout , the checkout button was grayed out with a customer care number below that.
    so headed to chat with a customer care rep to find out why i was unable to complete the transaction , the support person said it was against MS store policy to ship to a warehouse and i needed a real home address. So i as asked if i could to ship to my friends in the US? no problems he said , it just cant be a warehouse due to security reasons .

So the moment i changed the address to a friend’s residential address sure enough the checkout worked and here is where the frustration began. I received an immediate email confirming the order from microsoft and paypal as well. Now the order delivery date stated as 12.May.2020.

So yesterday since there was no update from MS on shipping, i contacted the support again only to be told that my payment needed authorization. I called my bank and they confirmed that the payment had been authorized on the day of the order and the said amount was earmarked as a MS transaction and it was now on MS side to take the money. I went back to customer rep and this time i was told it was escalated as he did not know what was wrong with the order and why it not been shipped. Promised to get back to me “tomorrow” .12.May.2020 is “tomorrow” and no email or any contact from MS about the order. I went to the bank physically to make sure there was no problem from my side. The teller confirmed that payment was still earmarked for MS.

When i contacted the MS support for the fourth time today, the support person tells me that the issue is escalated and i need to wait for 72hrs for a resolution , still saying there is not much info she has and a higher up will call me or email me in the next 72 hrs. i insisted i wanted to speak to that “higher up” and she gave me the number of a accounts and billing department , i call the accounts and billing department and she says the product cannot be shipped to address provided because it was against MS store policy and guides me to read the MS store policy for shipping. So we were back to where we started 5 days ago only this time with my money stuck.I REQUEST to cancel the order ....2mins later she gets back saying the cancellation has to be done from the store end and connects me to store support ....6 mins wait later the store support lady says she cancel it and it has to be escalated. At this point i tell her what had happened and i was done waiting. She then apologizes and says had i told her in the beginning what had transpired in the last 5 days , she would not have re-escalated the issue and could hav been simpler . i am thinking are all these people working for the same company , what happens to all that collaboration and productivity that their software is advertised for ?I reply to her saying it was given that when one executive transfers a call to the next , there is a handing over and briefing of the situation and may be that was lacking in this case.

Finally i am told “Sir , I understand your frustration but like i said we will have to wait for 2-5 days for the result of escalation for cancellation of the order and if you don’t hear back from us in that time , you can ask your bank to cancel the charges” .....

So anyone buying form outside US please note that it is a better idea to ask your friend to buy for you and you paypal your friend or buy from Amazon or other online retailers. The microsoft support team has no clue to deal with such situations and is more like a chat bot just taking your requests.Please note that i am not against the policy here , every merchant have their policies and i respect that , what i am appalled by is the lack of co-ordination and the fact that i got no emails or follow up communication on the status of my order.Had i not contacted them , there was no way for me to know they were not shipping to the address i provided.

Just typed that on my ipad pro 2020 which i ordered from Apple and got it at my door in 5 days via a mail forwarding address...

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just curious, how did MS know that the address was a warehouse? In my experience, most forwarding services just give you a generic address under your name.

I've previously been able to order without issue from the MS Store US to my friend in the States, so I think your order might have been flagged somehow.

In those scenarios (where a processing hiccup occurs before payment), I learned to hang up, close the browsing session, and start the order fresh. Online logistics systems (even for domestic orders in my home country of Canada) can get stuck in limbo and understandably, most support reps won't have a clue what's wrong.

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. nannlp

nannlp Pen Pal - Newbie

have no clue , may be because it is a very well known freight forwarding service in the US so probably the addresses are stored into the system.

The first order was closed and a new was placed several hours later , may be my sentencing made it feel like it was done instantly.

I have no clue how the front end sales people work , i am wondering the lack in the process, like fro example i just received a mail from MS saying thanks for contacting MS , your case is closed , were you satisfied . But when i login my order shows pending.....with the ship to address. There looks like a disconnect between the ‘Teams’ ...pun intended.

nnthemperor and Marty like this.
  4. nannlp

nannlp Pen Pal - Newbie

just an update!

This is crazy stuff happening , galore of confusion . After i got an email saying they have heard my request for cancellation , i now just casually logged into my paypal to see if there was a refund but instead it said i hav been charged .

so i went back into my account only to find that they have actually shipped the tablet and i will be receiving it on 14.May.2020 ....This is turning out to be a small netflix episode of its own.

My adventures of ordering a MS SURFACE GO 2 .

What next? another email tomorrow saying the order has been cancelled and the delivery has been stopped ?

Will post daily update for your entertainment.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I use a mail forwarding address in the US to consolidate and ship to where ever i am in the world...>>

It sounds like you may have run afoul of some US export restriction. For example, ITAR (International Trade in Armament Regulations) strongly restricts the export of items on the US Munitions List. While we aren't talking about munitions, the USML contains "dual use" items... like processors (IIRC). In addition, Microsoft is now a defense supplier and therefore may be paying even more attention to export regulations. Finally, your freight forwarding company is probably listed in one or more federal data bases and would be easy for Microsoft to identify.

The bottom line is that the processor in your Go 2, or perhaps the entire unit, may have export restrictions associated with it.

See this report of recent increases in export restrictions. It may not apply to you, but this illustrates the current trends in trade relations:

https://www.hoganlovells.com/~/medi...estrictions-on-china-russia-and-venezuela.pdf

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. nannlp

nannlp Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Steve

but your post and that document has no relevance to what i have posted . please read the document again.

The basic issue with mail forwarding, the vendors i believe are facing are that of scams happening where the products are re-shipped and also difficulty in covering warranty for such products.The MS products have regional warranty if i understand well and not worldwide warranty .This is why even at ebay some are skeptical to ship to mail forwarding address unless it is paypal verified.

Aa far as the address for the mail forwarding goes you don’t need a genius to get the addresses of the top 10 mail forwarding services in a country . A simple google search and you have the list . so you just insert it into your system to identify those addresses.

The MS policy on shipping is different and i encourage you to read it.

7. nannlp

nannlp Pen Pal - Newbie

All Good , Tablet arrived .

dceggert, Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Lucky you.:vbwink:

JoeS and nannlp like this.
  9. nannlp

nannlp Pen Pal - Newbie

Honestly , will never ever buy a physical product from the MS online store again. Not worth the hassle. It was a rough ride for me.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I've been cured as well. In person at the store or not at all.:newpalm: