Buying abroad...

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by P8RSON, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunn

sunn Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice :)

I am actually mailing laptop authority to place an order
    But i am not sure about the
    2,0 GHz XGA indoor/outdoor and 1 or 2 memory chip
    or the
    2,16GHz SXGA+ indoor only and it's narrow angle-viewing...

Though, I have chosen Laptop authority better than Euclid because of a nicer email contact (maybe because they don't have many customer so have time to write on email :D kidding)

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Although you will notice a difference in screen resolutions between the XGA & SXGA+, the problem you really face is in where you will be using the tablet.

If you intend to use the tablet outdoors then the indoor only screen will disappoint.

Personally, having used XGA for some time, I am more than happy with it.
    As such, my choice would be the indoor/outdoor variety.

The speed difference is practically negligible for most tasks.

3. Robert

Robert Pen Pal - Newbie

A quick update: I ordered my T4215 from Laptop Authority and received it as expected. I would definitely recommend them for any tablet purchases. As a side note, the tablet was sent via FedEx and I was charged at my door for Swiss sales tax and a small CHF 11.50 admin fee.

4. P8RSON

Robert,
    Which screen option did you go for?

5. fuzi

fuzi Pen Pal - Newbie

Apologies for the late, long (and somewhat sideways) additional question into this thread, but I'm here in Sunny Australia (well, not so sunny at 11pm) and after much agonising, i think I've decided on a T4215.

The only problem i have is that one of my threshold issues is the screen resolution. I want something equal to, or better to my P5020D (the thought of a lower res on a bigger screen? Ick.), and so far, my inquiries have all come back with Fuj here informing me that no, they cant do it, I can only get an XGA variant here, and that I'd have to go to say, Fuj US otherwise.

Grr.

So while i keep trying to find a way for me to get someone local to work with, does anyone have any suggestions as to a retailer who'd be happy dealing with a potentially tiresome Australian customer (there are hoops I'm also going to have to jump through in order to satisfy my salary sacrifice provider here..)?

Thanks in advance for any pointers, who knows, i could end up convincing myself i don't need more than XGA, that an indoor/outdoor screen is a major bonus, and this could all resolve itself painlessly :)

Ps: Yes, I'm also eyeballing the 1610, which is a possibility, and easier to get in Aus, but I'm a little apprehensive as to several things I'd be sacrificing - CPU grunt, a modular battery, and an active digitiser. I'm not convinced the weight/size savings are worth it. I'd much prefer the form factor, but i really need to play with it before I'm convinced the digitiser is something i could live with in the long term. Feel free to convince me otherwise of course (but this should also be in another thread i suspect.. scuse the ramblings).

6. Robert

Robert Pen Pal - Newbie

I got the indoor XGA. I figured I'd be working primarily indoors and would rather have a wide viewing angle than higher resolution.

7. P8RSON

Thanks for the feedback Robert.

fuzi,
    You would be surprised once you get to use XGA just how workable and better it can be.
    For one, you will find your viewing angles will be greater on an XGA screen.

8. fuzi

fuzi Pen Pal - Newbie

I have considered an XGA screen, and will probably be wandering somewhere in order to demo one. i've been using something in excess of 1024x768 for the past 5 years, and i've become accustomed to wads of space, so it'll require a modification of my current habits if i do go that route.

On a more general level, i'm also somewhat miffed at being able to see the config i'm after on the Fuj US site (for a change, i'm not seeking something that doesn't exist yet) but have a distinct inability to place an order through my local providers. Kinda reminds me how isolate we are over here..

Anyhoo, i've sent out the requisite queries, and shall see what turns up.

9. Bhaltair

Bhaltair Pen Pal - Newbie

When you all buy from these retailers, you can't upgrade can you? I purchased from Fujitsu.com simply because I wanted added ram and a larger harddrive etc.
    Also, is the 4215 bay hotswappable? If I got the battery that fit in the bay so I could get the stated 6-10 hours, could I pull the battery out and use the dvd when I needed to or would I have to hybernate it?

10. P8RSON

Depends on what you want to upgrade Bhaltair.
    When I purchased my T4210 I bought the bog-standard 512MB RAM.
    However, whilst waiting for the tablet I went to a reliable memory outlet and purchased 2x1GB sticks.

I also purchased the modular battery as well.

These are items you can upgrade yourself.
    Items such as the screen though would need to be done before you obtained your tablet, in the configuration list.

As to your question of 'hot swapping' the modular battery for the Optical Drive.
    Yes, you can do this whilst the machine is switched on:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.