Buying a new laptop sucks

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by DRTigerlilly, Jul 5, 2020.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Admittedly this entire year has been exhausting.. :( Hope you're OK, being alive and healthy is more important than finding the perfect laptop. I can't believe I'm saying this. :D

Aaaaanyway, so how about that X1 yoga 4th gen? Looks like they're 30% off right now.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Clearly I need to lower my expectations...

I am mostly good, new job and acclimatising to the demands of it are definitely contributing to my short fuse...

Think consultants in London, Canada, Australia, Belgium and Jamaica and trying to coordinate meetings between all

I actually miss my Surface, but we know it wasn't perfect either.

I was looking at the Lenovo C940... I will add the x1 yoga and the latitudes

Thank you guys

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Smiley and JoeS like this.
  3. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

This week I thought I would try again to adopt the 1 device dream with the Lenovo C940 15". Instead here I am over indulging in whiskey and commiserating on my dissatisfaction and impending return, wondering why I didn't just listen to the wise @dstrauss like I knew I should have from the beginning.

...another one bites the dust.

JoeS likes this.
  4. DRTigerlilly

What is making you return it?

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@DRTigerlilly - I clicked "Like" but it brought tears to my eyes, so the like was for the post, not your plight.

I am going to suggest heresy, and I don't know what the repair experience is in your location, but my daughter's experience with her Apple products has been stellar. She's been using MacBooks since 2007, and has only upgraded for performance improvements or going to a different systems (upgraded to MacBook Pro 15, but then went Air because of her need for a lighter traveling companion) - in all that time we replaced one battery (on the old plastic looking black mac) and her 2015 MacBook Pro lost two keys off the keyboard. You can get some good bargains at the Apple refurb site, and they come with full 1 year warranty and are eligible for AppleCare + for three years coverage.

Now, for the response to the rightful question "why is he saying do as I say not as I do" - it's because I've been in a business practice where if something just isn't working for me - off with its head and on to the next promising shiny new toy. As I approach the sunset of my career, I am looking at my hole cards, and would have already bought the new MBP 13 but for the ARM announcement - now I wait until the end of year to pull that trigger, and I will go into the last phase of my career in Apple gear from wrist to desktop.

Good luck my friend...

JoeS, dellaster and DRTigerlilly like this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

oh I never thought anything other than that

Will look into the Macbook

I appreciate you!

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

"What's that? It's time to burn down the forums?!"

How could we have been so foolish? Dell, Acer, HP, Samsung, Microsoft, all of it. Just light that match and let papa Cook will take all the pain away...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  8. dstrauss

C'mon @Marty - tell us what you really think! As a serial Windows device abuser, to be honest my experience (family) with Macs has been more solid...

Marty and DRTigerlilly like this.
  9. DRTigerlilly

is BootCamp still a thing....because I WOULD dual boot

I have heard it said before the best Windows machine is a MAC

10. dstrauss

Bootcamp will continue in the current Intel Macs, but it will not be available in the ARM future. My guess is that Intel Macs will be good for at least five years, probably more. That said, my transition will be to the ARM version.

wytn and DRTigerlilly like this.